Poll on grass

Desert Fox's grass.

I've been using it for over a year now. It has the best "blend lines" (where tiles meet) and doesn't vary as drastically for elevation changes to look artifical. It is also easy on the eyes and easy to see troops on as well.

Think it's available at Der Kessel under the "Mods" section.

Yeah - agree that Magua's Normandy mod is the best looking *summer* mod overall. However, come Autumn it looks pretty pants. It needs different treebases I think. DD's terrain is better for the later seasons. DD's winter terrain is excellent - although look out for the upcoming winter terrain by Tom. It looks the dogs. There is also a new winter terrain by JuJu and Tanks, which looks fairly splendid too.

Try Tom's subdued grass with Magua's Normandy for Summer terrain. A great combination.

Does anyone still use the old bright grass textures like Richard's Velvet Grass? I never grew tired of those like I did with some of the duller mods. For me it just gets boring to look at them after a bit.

I always loved the grass and terrain textures from Close Combat 2, and the bright textures are the closest things that come to it in CM.

Another thing to take into account is different monitors. Monitors differ drastically in their ability to display different colors, one monitor does one thing good, another a different one. And when looking on a computer picture of anything natural, most people (except some New York kids maybe) are pretty sensitive to colors, even a slight misrepresentation can push a color over to "unnatural look".

And really, how many of you went through the color calibration of your graphics card, and how many of those have a constant-light environment for thier computer?

Any recomendations for low-res grass? My 16Mb card is stuffed with vehicles, not to speak of my Laptop.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Capt Miller:

keep the original or use a mod??

If so, which is the best out there??<hr></blockquote>

FGD Grass by Gunnergoz is the bestest of them all!

Subtle elevation changes can be easily seen.

Cheers,

Stingray

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Does anyone still use the old bright grass textures like Richard's Velvet Grass? I never grew tired of those like I did with some of the duller mods. For me it just gets boring to look at them after a bit.

<hr></blockquote>

I still use that grass set (doesn't hit the vidcard so hard), but modded it in my own turn and turned the brightness down a bit. Works good as "summer grass" to me.

My favorite and the one I use is the muted Lo-Res version of the Richard Tremblett Velvet Touch Grass. I do not know who muted it though. I have the readme for it but it is not signed by the muting author and I cannot remember now from whence I picked it up...I sure like it though smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Old Dog's Subdued Low-Res is the best.

I like high res mods, And I have a lot of them, but grass looks weird in high res.<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Randl-:My favorite and the one I use is the muted Lo-Res version of the Richard Tremblett Velvet Touch Grass. I do not know who muted it though. .<hr></blockquote>

Johnson:

I agree. Old Dog's Low Res is my standard. Occassionally I'll use the high-res version.

Randl:

Old Dog is probably the author as his version was a muted version of Richard's velvet grass.

JuJu's bases and variants of DD's trees round out my environment.

Hi all

Personally I use a mix of several Grass mods (mainly Maguas, DDs, Gunnergoz) which gives my terrain a sort of 'patchwork-quilt' type effect with varying 'textures' to open areas and reasonable way to show elevations without use of gridlines.

As for everything else I use a whole hodge-podge from numerous authors and damned if I can remember which mod is which now ! smile.gif

Cheers

Gary