Bug/Inconsistencies List

Good point about TacOps SOPs, Michael. I've been wanting a similar system for CM for a long time. I think Steve said they were going to do something like that for the rewrite.

One other "bug" or inconsistency that hasn't been mentioned here is that the rarity values for infantry are not displayed anywhere in the game, even in the editor. I think this is a must-fix.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tankist:

Arcs are great for tanks, but are no replacement for the Ambush order, because ambushes in CMBO were triggered events, while arcs are just a way to limit firing.

I hope we will see the 'Ambush' order in a future patch back again.

This echos a similar comment I made last week. Covered arcs are great, but there are some things the old ambush command was better at. I wish we had both. Unfortunately I have a feeling this won't happen until the next game.</font>

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

#2) Ironic Area Fire - The unit in foxhole "disappears", so you Area Fire the foxhole, yet the unit reappears, and your unit *continues* to Area Fire, (to little effect), rather than target the now visible enemy unit.

This one is a real pain. I never understood why a unit in a foxhole in plain view of my infantry would suddenly "disappear" from sight. Is it a feature of EFOW? In that case, I may go back to regular Full FOW...

They disappeared because they started cowering/hiding or could have been killed. Then again, they could have snuck backwards. Without a unit very close you cant tell.

Also, I have been doing some testing of various things and area fire is quite effective against stationary targets.

WWB

Originally posted by Joques:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

#2) Ironic Area Fire - The unit in foxhole "disappears", so you Area Fire the foxhole, yet the unit reappears, and your unit *continues* to Area Fire, (to little effect), rather than target the now visible enemy unit.

This one is a real pain. I never understood why a unit in a foxhole in plain view of my infantry would suddenly "disappear" from sight. Is it a feature of EFOW? In that case, I may go back to regular Full FOW...</font>

Moving this back to a bug list.

I have minor one that I think someone mentioned a few weeks back. Kubelwagons show up as 'jeeps' when Russian troops haven't positively identified them. I discovered this the other day when I noticed a jeep sitting in the middle of a group of german tanks.....quite confusing until I figured out what was going on!

Wish I had screen shot. As far as I'm concerned this is a minor spotting bug. The gun tractor / halftrack spotting problem is much more serious and has caused me grief in two quickbattles now.

Good topic, lots of interesting things brought up.

I created a topic a few days ago about HMG setup times, and how there is a little bug with regards to that; the timing bug also affects guns and mortars. Start a HMG team moving with a long movement order; on the second turn, add another movement order while the first still hasn't been completed. At the end of the first waypoint, the team will stop to reflect the delay in implementing the 2nd movement and the time to setup will decrease. Soon they start on the 2nd waypoint path, but the time to setup counter isn't reset and remains at the value just prior to beginning the 2nd move.

I thought I'd add the heads up to this topic as well smile.gif

Secondly... We STILL can't place AT guns and AFVs inside buildings (during the setup phase) while playing as the defender in a battle.

This goes against tons of historical photographic evidence I have seen. Placement in buildings offers excellent concealment, and some cover from light artillery that can be so devastating against guns in foxholes.

The 'TacAI to hesitant to fire' I mentioned in my list seems to be mor than an inconsistency.

In my last game, 4 veteran HMGs (in command, not surpressed, no one was shooting at them) were turned exactly into direction of suspected enemy positions.

I then ordered some infantry squads to assault the position.

Immediately 5 or 6 enemy squads unhided and opened up fire on them.

My HMGs, in clear sight of and facing the enemy units did nothing!

They sat idle for the whole turn, while my assaulting squads were slaughtered.

Maybe Madmatt or Kwazy can comment on the topics mentioned in this thread? smile.gif

Tankist

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

Secondly... We STILL can't place AT guns and AFVs inside buildings (during the setup phase) while playing as the defender in a battle.

This goes against tons of historical photographic evidence I have seen. Placement in buildings offers excellent concealment, and some cover from light artillery that can be so devastating against guns in foxholes.

This is true.

But the designer of the scenario can do it; in the editor, just place e.g. a patch of woods on the map, switch into 3-D preview, put the gun in the woods, and go back to the map editor.

Now replace the woods with a building. The gun will stay in position and is now in the building.

In the game it can not move, but most of the time guns are seldom moved anyway if you are the defender.

Tankist

Some of you should also look at the post I made a week or so ago where I listed all the things that were already in 1.01

MANY of the items you have raised were on that list and much more has been added since.

Hey Madmatt, what is this new stuff of which you speak?

>>WAIT AND SEE

Hey Madmatt, when is the v1.01 of which we so patiently await, going to be released.

>>SOON

Hey Madmatt, you said soon before. So was it soon then or soon now.

>>SOON as in SOON.

Hey Madmatt, why are you see mean to us?

>>IN MY NATURE

Hey Madmatt, can I have your love child?

>> (SIT DOWN RUNE) SORRY,THAT POSITION IS FILLED

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

I would've loved this in one QB I played yesterday; it was a Soviet assault against my positions, on plain flat open map without any coverage apart from a few buildings, and the heaviest defence I had were my 76mm PaK's. Needlest to say, the KV-2's finished them all off in no time.

I knew i was going to pay for the happy 40th birthday I tossed at the mad one. [He is 34. hehehehe]

It is a engine limitation. You STILL can put cannons in houses, but has to be done by the scenario maker. Place the cannon first then add the house.

Rune

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

unlimbered guns/atg/arty cannot move thru wooden fences. Needless to say they should be able to as mortars and MG can

I'm not so sure about that. When mortars are being moved, they are broken down into three relatively light packages that can be handed over a fence or wall. Guns, on the other hand, unless they are pack howtzers or mountain guns do not disassemble for travel and are usually too heavy for their crew to lift. Therefore, to move them through a fence line would require knocking the fence down. I don't know if there is any way to model that within the current game engine.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

It doesn't take much effort to kick down a flimsy wooden fence of the kind depicted in CMBB, not that I'd know of course, honest...

Fences meant to confine livestock? I can tell you're a city slicker!

:D

Michael

[ November 07, 2002, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Some of you should also look at the post I made a week or so ago where I listed all the things that were already in 1.01

MANY of the items you have raised were on that list and much more has been added since.

Thanks Madmatt!

I hope the covered arcs vs. hide/unhide thingie will be fixed (and that we do get our Ambush order back) ;)

Tankist

Here is an update on the NEW stuff that has been added to v1.01 since I posted the old list a few weeks back. Remember, this isnt the full list, just the new stuff added in the last few weeks and I know Charles has a big load of stuff he is working on this weekend as well.

MODIFICATIONS:

* Move to Contact stops the moving unit only if a spotted enemy appears in the moving unit's covered arc (if any).

* Trenches may be placed over craters and pavement.

* Effectiveness of German 37mm AP round is reduced due to manufacturing flaws. Also given large explosive charge.

* Slight tweaks made to effectiveness of German 50mm APC round.

* Vehicle passengers may be group-selected with the mouse when vehicles are 'hidden' using the SHIFT-V option.

* Tungsten-armed ATRs may fire on unarmored vehicles, bunkers and even infantry.

* Quick Battles set in northern or Finnish regions in winter are highly likely to have snow on the ground even during non-snowing weather.

* Regular Finnish squads may carry demo charges. Finns don't get dedicated Pioneer troops so this being allowed to offset that.

* All Finnish squads, when equipped with a demo charge, may attempt to clear mines (as Engineers/Pioneers do from other nations).

* Finnish 75mm AT gun is first available July 1943.

* The Finn PzIV never saw real-life combat, so it's available only in August 1943 at extremely high rarity.

* The suppression thresholds for panicking, breaking and routing are a bit higher.

* Fatigue rate for sneak movement is moderately reduced.

BUG FIXES:

* Corrected MG texture problem with Sd Kfz 250/8

* Correction to a unit's name in the Italian TO&E.

* Corrected a problem where a planned movement path would sometimes turn red if placed over an unspotted enemy tank.

* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused very small quick battles to have no forces for one side.

* Captured units will not be imported into a new Quick Battle which loads in an existing game map.

* Kubelwagen's horsepower and top speed ratings are corrected.

* Italian ski troops use proper italian 'icon' in scenario list.

* Finnish 76mm artillery spotter correctly listed as 76mm.

* Corrected a problem where soft vehicles could take too much damage from ordnance weapons.

* Fixed an unhandled exception error at 0x004829BE.

* Automatic force builder in Quick Battles is less likely to pick Pioneers/Engineers, especially for the defender.

* (French version) The +/- editor buttons for setting the number of flags in a battle appear normally.

[ November 08, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

* The suppression thresholds for panicking, breaking and routing are a bit higher.

* Fatigue rate for sneak movement is moderately reduced.

LOL, hidden under some fix for a rare Finn unit, are the two most important fixes of the entire patch! They should be at the top of the list! smile.gif

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot...we fixed that problem...lemme jog your memory here...you know...the problem with the infantry breaking and tiring out too quickly...that itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny little problem that made infantry completely useless...

:D Well, I'm glad to see that "little problem" made it in the patch.