What is your favorite gun in the Axis forces for CM?

I have had great fun recently with a dug in

German 150 mm Infantry Gun. The blast radius is quite wide so a direct hit is not required to put the hurt on infantry and light armor. Infantry hiding in the woods still could be reached by area fire and the large blast radius if it was aimed into the trees as far as the line of sight would go.

Even knocked out an enemy tank.

Smiling Toad.

gotta agree with the 150mm. even better is the version of it mounted on the hummel. blast=200. i played a QB against the AI where one hummel scored fully 1/4th of the infantry casualties (27), knocked down several buildings, and basically turned the battle into a massacre. the only drawback is that it only carries between 12 and 15 rounds, but you sure can do a lot with that if you pick your targets carefully...

150mm infantry gun smashes sherms really well too smile.gif

when it hits them they EXPLODE. nice big 150mm C round hitting the front hull smile.gif

oh yeah, and they crunch crunchies real well. too bad morters/arty/water ballons make the crews run in fear.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

For style, Pak 43. For Function, Pak 40 all the way.<hr></blockquote>

I actually think it is horrendously ugly... image14.jpg

And huge. That is me standing next to it, and I am 5'11" (1.81m) This particular gun standing in front of the castle in St. Vith.

The 75mm guns found on the Panthers and Panzer IV/70 are excellent all-around guns. Acceptable blast against infantry but killing any Western tank with them is a nice little bonus too.

Runner up? The 88mm series, namely the ones on the King Tiger and Jagdpanther.

The 150mm guns are a joy if you can make them last. If the opponent starts feeling the effects of one you can bet he'll do whatever it takes to remove your gun. You've got to be insane to let a weapon of that calibre wail away at your forces freely.

Did the original question address towed guns or all guns?

Of course, nothing beats the British 95mm, at least with CMBO's penetration and accuracy.

For Axis defense, I find that towed guns must be kept cheap because they either cannot cover enough of the map in closed terrain to warrant a big one or in open terrain they die too easily, also a problem for big guns.

So it comes to 20mm flak, 75mm infantry guns and 50mm PaK for the foxholes to pick off the bodyguards off the tanks, and the 88 L/71 on the Jagdpanther for whatever is left afterwards. Risky business, but such is defending in CMBO.

There are some possible variances, namely the 37mm PaK when available, which is just deadly and also quite hard to spot. The right tool when you expect lots of M8 HMC. The Jagdpanther can be replaced by a Panzer IV/70 on a closed-terrain map.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

The original question actually meant towed guns... but we can split it into

A) What is your fav towed gun?

<hr></blockquote>

The guide to Axis guns:

50mm AT: best way to get waxed by least capable Sherman you can imagine

75mm AT: best way to get waxed by Churchills and Jumbos

88mm AT: best way to get waxed by 2" mortars

20mm flak: see how real MG 42 would feel like?

88mm flak: best way to blow StuG/Hetzer-class points into an immobile unit that fails on the same stuff the 75mm fails on, plus getting waxed by straggling infantry due to lack of shield

75mm howitzer: the ultimate "I am not gamey" statement. Plain stupid choise

105mm howitzer: remind me again what this thing can do the Wespe cannot? OK, it usually doesn't blow itself up

8 cm PAW: your really need a special attitude, do you?

Pueppchen: best way to get an immobile Panzerschreck

75mm infantry gun: your favourite way to be called gamey, because it is mucho cheapo for no good reason (actually there is a reason, it is easier to spot than the equivalent full howitzer, but that doesn't really matter in Quickbattles with abolute spotting)

150mm infantry gun: big gun syndrome - cool thing, but usually placed where the enemy doesn't go. And if he does, absolute spotting will kill it after it missed its one shot on that armor it targetted (not using HC, of course).

RCL: try to chase enemy away by noise and flashes. Ensure that they can fire they whole game by low ROF

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

B) What is fav gun, towed or not?

<hr></blockquote>

Let me rephrase the question: of the guns that can be highly effective in certain kinds of games, which gun has the widest range of games to be devastating?

37mm Flak

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

My favourite is the 50mm AT gun. They're cheap and ideal for sniping at early-model shermans from the front and from long range.<hr></blockquote>

Yes. They can snipe them pretty well. Except they don't penetrate the front. You need 150m to even get the chance from "rare" to "low".

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

Wow, redwolf, do you have anything positive to say? Or is that your positive side? =(<hr></blockquote>

Actually it was my attempt to be funny :rolleyes:

Seriously, if anything it was a light sarcastic view of the original question. Besides obvious terrain dependencies the choice of guns also depends on your other unit choices. So whatever you ask, best tank, best gun, best artillery makes only sense in the combination of all arms.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

Actually it was my attempt to be funny :rolleyes:

Seriously, if anything it was a light sarcastic view of the original question. Besides obvious terrain dependencies the choice of guns also depends on your other unit choices. So whatever you ask, best tank, best gun, best artillery makes only sense in the combination of all arms.<hr></blockquote>

With all due respect, we're talking about favorites and not which is the best.

My fav gun would have to be the MG42 HMG (oh, that *evil* sound)...so advanced a design that they still use it for today's MGs (the dutch-made M3 methinx).

My fav Axis towed gun for CM would be the PaK38/50mm ATG b/c of the sheer fun and tension of waiting for that flank shot. Also the 20mm and hey why not be cruel and just make it a Quad 20mm.

Outside of CM, I also dig the 88mm FlaK, whose accuracy is supposedly undermodeled in CM. It looks like a beast, bites like a beast, and it is the business end of my fav kitty, the Tiger I.

88_4.jpg

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>So whatever you ask, best tank, best gun, best artillery makes only sense in the combination of all arms. <hr></blockquote>

On defense, at least, both the positioning of the guns and when you decide to reveal them make all the difference in the world, too. You can turn seemingly weak assets into powerhouses that way. One 75mm Pak might not be great, but four or five of them acting in concert, and using the element of surprise, are smile.gif You can really catch someone off guard by using guns in ME's, too. People usually expect them only on set defenses.

Btw, if you want a good resource on German guns, check out German Artillery of World War Two by Ian V. Hogg (Greenhill/Stackpole, 1997). Almost 300pp. of detailed info and photos: Flak, Pak, IG's, railway guns, coastal defense guns, etc.