I love the way you get penetrations without instant kills

This is one of my favorite changes in CMBB. The fact that you can punch hole after hole in the enemy vehicle and still don't know if it is dead or not is very cool and seems pretty realistic. I notice this alot when playing with small calibre guns. I just got done with a QB where a T-26 went up against a 20mm armed armored car. The T-26 scored the first hit but it did not cause any crew casualties and the armored car put two holes in the T-26 before the T-26 got off the next shot. That shot caused the armored car crew to route, but still had not caused any casualties. The next shot caused the crew to bail. This doesn't happen as fast as it used to though and two more holes in the amored car killed the crew before they could get out. I was sitting there yelling "GET OUT OF THERE!!!," but the poor guys didn't make it. :(

Even with the larger caliber guns it does it. I was doing a QB with a veteran Panther G platoon and we caught on the flank by surprise a portion of a Soviet tank company. It was kind of a waste but I saw all 5 of my vet Panthers engage the lead T-34/85, hit, penetrate, and repeat the process.

The T-34 stopped after the first hull penetration and somewhere of 6 more shots penetrated! Amazing the tank didn't blow! Little penetrations from 37 or 50mm is one thing, but coming from long-gunned 75mm's is another!

Subvet,

Totally agree with you. So far my favorite new feature of the game and much more realistic.

I sorta feel sorry for the crews when they are getting repeatedly nailed by large caliber weapons and the status is "Bailing Out". I've seen more than one crew loose a couple more crew memebers (or get wipded out) trying to bail out and getting hit again and again and again.

Also kudos to Matt for the new penetration sounds.

Keith

I tried an old CMBO favorite - Stuarts vs PzIVs - in CMBB recently. Things certainly don't turn out the way they used to in that match-up. It looks like the Stuart's suffering from a 2-man turret penalty now, and even if they do score the first penetration (even the first couple penetrations!) that doesn't prevent the PzIV's turret slowly rotating to the target and the bigger gun dismantling the poor Stuart with one hit.

I like this feature too, but in the case of Panzerschrecks, it doesnt make sense for me, or they need to lower the price for it.

Example: Townbattle, regular Schreckteam, ennemy tank was 50-70 meters away. First and second shoot misses (nothing new), third and forth are hits, but the crew doesnt seem to run away. The last shoot was at least a missing one, so no ammo left and the tank was still in funktion.

Normaly, those teams would wait a bit longer to save ammo and not trying to shoot (in this case it was a sherman) into small pieces.

One of our favorite features too smile.gif We in fact wanted to have this in CMBO but just didn't have the time to code and test it. It was, as we expected, a rather complicated process of coding/testing.

There are a LOT of factors being taken into consideration for this feature. Shell size and type vs. target plays a big role. For example, an 88 hitting a BT-5 is almost certainly a kill shot, so the 88 gunner will be less likely to take another crack at it. The opposite is true with small calibre rounds, where the gunner is probably not even sure what the round did even if he saw it hit (which is not always the case). And if the target blows up or its crew bails, the gunners will stop pumping rounds into it pretty much automatically. Crew Experience also plays into this, as less experienced crews are more likely to continue firing at the same target until they are SURE it is KO'd.

The multi shooter vs. single target issue is a general problem that can not be fully solved until we move to Relative Spotting vs. the current Absolute Spotting. Fortunately, examples like the Panthers vs. T-34 are not the norm.

Steve

Playing the demo Kursk scenario, my last unit was a KV-1 on a reverse slope. The 5 remaining PZIII's came over the ridge at short range as I was trying to back away. After a few hits I lost the main gun. 4-6 hits later I lost the track and got stuck sideways. Then they really laid into me. Sparks flew and clangs and clunks resounded. I went back and counted a total of 14 various hits in under 30 seconds. 1 or 2 crew got out and almost made it to the trees...

Kudos to BF for the new armor modeling!

Ren

Love the feature. Really paid attention to it today when I had a T70 come out of nowhere and start plinking away at one of my halftracks. I bet that track must have taken about 10 hits before a crewman was killed but you could see and hear the shells bouncing off the hull. Unfortunately, I thought it was a 76mm AT some distance away and that my unit was hidden. Anyhow, instead of backing up, I order the track to go pick up an artillery spotter that I had left(by mistake) and the track turned around, providing a perfect rear shot(no slope). So much for those poor guys. The AI is no idiot here and cannot always be predicted. I guess that is why we do the QBs is to get the system down so we know what we need to do, otherwise the AI will eat you up!