Before i upgrade my Video Driver

Current card is

Geforce 4 Ti4400

Current Version 29.42

Thinking of upgrading to Version: 41.09, my OS is

Just thought i would touch base if anyone has had any trouble with it before i do

Also going up to Direct x 9

Currently using DX 8.1 owrth changing to 9?

Im not a Tech head so i thought i would ask people that are

Originally posted by Titan:

Current card is

Geforce 4 Ti4400

Current Version 29.42

Just thought i would touch base if anyone has had any trouble with it before i do

It's my opinion that some things will run faster with DX9 over 8. I have seen obvious improvements in No One Lives Forever 2, IL2 Sturmovik, and Battlefield 1942. I saw no real difference in M$ Combat Flight Sim 3 (but that game sucks anyways), and no difference in CMBO or CMBB, but neither of those are likely to be stretching a GF4 much anyways.

It does NOT, unfortunately, do anything for the damn invisible text bug. Oh well... I dont suppose it should, but I was hoping somehow...

Current card is

Geforce 4 Ti4400

Current Version 29.42

Re: Drivers

BTS recommends useing the 30.82, my rig hasn't as much as hiccuped with these. In the tech forum there are many cries of anger and dismay after trying anything higher.

(this note pertains to CM only)

KC

edited 'cause I can't type

[ December 24, 2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Krazy Canuck ]

Current card is

Geforce 4 Ti4400

Current Version 29.42

I am using a GF4 Ti 4200. Ive tried the 41.09 but switched back to the 30.82 ( as recommended by BTS ). With the 41.09 CMBO and CMBB ( and only those, all other games worked fine ) were locked at 60 Hz. I cant stand that flickering ... :eek:

[ December 24, 2002, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Scheer ]

Same here. I would be leary of going to DX 9 now unless you have a new ATI Radeon 9700 card that uses DX 9 features. Otherwise it's not likely you will see much if any performance increase and if system stability suffers its a bitch to go back because you can't uninstall Direct X like a driver.

I didn't get DX 8 until I bought CMBB.

[ December 24, 2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

41.09 under w2k just installed.

with aa on text is invisible. but it looks real good for me - read the briefing witout aa; play with aa on.

the info screen works well with aa on.

the new driver has a tool inbuild which is capable to lock the refresh rate for dx progs so no prob there.

other games tryed yet IL2 - awesome ! great game too besides.

edit because i´m dumb ;)

[ December 24, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Horus ]

thought I would ask this here in this thread as an aside

I have an Nvidia card 64mg gforce blah blah blah... oh yeah have the 40.?? drivers

anyway night missions are just impossible they are blacker than a black thing on black day!!!

ive altered the gamma setting on CMBB but hardly makes any difference is this just me or is it something to do with the Nvidia chip set? :confused:

There are some bad things being said about DX( out there in net-land. If it's anything like DX's 5, 6, 7 or 8 it'll be buggy for months.

And, being DirectX, you can't uninstall it without re-installing Windows (as in taking your hard drive out of your computer, smashing it with a large hammer, immersing in acid for several weeks, then burning it, then re-installing Windows).

Furthermore, there aren't any DX9 games available, and there's no reason to believe you should get any performance improvements.

As for the 40.xx/41.xx drivers, I haven't found a good set yet when it comes to CMBB. I just tried 41.80, and they slowed the game down to about 1-2 frames per second, even on the tiniest of maps (eg. The Bridgeheads).

Call me Mr Cautious, but I'm sticking with DX8 + 3x.xx drivers until someone manages to make some software which works.

the highest drivers for nvidia cards that i've seen that work with AA and anisoptropic filtering in CMBO/CMBB (which means with AA and aniso filtering turned on w/o text disappearing) are the 30.87's

they're available at www.guru3d.com

re: directx 9 - since no games are written for it yet, why inherit trouble w/o any potential upside?