How many of you are sticking with CMBO for the moment?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the "Opponent Finder", either PBEM or TCP/IP. I tend to find myself waiting around for TCP/IP opponents though.

And, there is always the "Peng Challenge" if you like to be berated, kicked, soaked with petrol and lit on fire. To each his own.

(Editted because I now don't see a feckin' Opponent Finder thread...is that gone?)

[ November 05, 2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: mike the wino ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

(Editted because I now don't see a feckin' Opponent Finder thread...is that gone?)

They changed the format so that there are now 'opponent finder' forums for English, French, German and Finnish speaking people. They also gave them their own section on the initial menu as they are for all the BFC gsmes, not just CM.

Thanks Firefly ,

Found it about 10 minutes ago and didn't re-edit post. DOH!!!

(Editted because I just realized that the opponent finder is under the BFC forums not the Combat mission. Hence it didn't show the last time I looked for it. A little slow on the uptake but catching up. :D )

[ November 05, 2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: mike the wino ]

The shockwaves and big open tank battles arguments are silly.

There is a patch for shockwave for CMBB, and you can have any type of scenario/QB in CMBB that you have in CMBO, plus even more variety (only exception is bocage, which you don't get in the east front). If you don't like big open tank battles (which I don't), don't play them!!!

If you miss shockwaves (like I did), just get the patch!!

I haven't gone back to CMBO and probably never will!! :eek:

Still play CMBO occasionally, but the improvements in CMBB are making that happen less and less. The (finally) working German optics, (finally) effective HMG's, cover arcs, better vehicle models, graphics, and everything else leave CMBO kind of flat nowadays. Plus, blowing up things with red stars and the hammer & sickle on them is much more satisfying... smile.gif

I have been playing CMBB for a month now. Still dont like it that they removed shockwaves, call them "silly" , "not realistic" or whatever, they are one feature thats makes CMBO better than CMBB.

Every time a round lands in CMBB i think, :rolleyes: .

I prey each time I start a CMBB game that in CM3 they will be returned.

PS I am referring to the HE shockwave, not the nuclear french oven, although I do like them too :D

I think there is one other factor that has yet to be discussed, and that, my friends, is digital-shell-shock, or DSS.

In these last two years of consistent play, with 30 plus "opponent finder" games and two full Treeburst tournaments, I am needing a little R&R from all this fighting.

.... that is, until the next generation of CM comes out!

In a recent game I watched over twenty men in five different units get dropped in their footsteps while panicking in wire. All on the same wire!! Mind you, they were the enemy. But itt was a truly brutal sight.

Well I never thought it would happen but I'm really starting to like CMBB. I played one scenario and I think I'm hooked. I love the new graphics (especially the doodads), the new orders, the other little things like dirt kicking up on tank shots, the effectiveness of mg's, and so on.

The shockwaves I still miss a bit but I think I can get used to it. I just keep repeating to myself, "It's more realistic without them. "It's more realistic without them..."

CMBO was the only game I played for nearly 2 years and I couldn't imagine taking it off my hard drive. Although CMBB doesn't have the initial excitement value of CMBO I have to say that I'm a complete convert now. The big thing for me is tank crew morale; it makes armour battles much more satisfying. Although at first the increased realism of morale (infantry and vehicle) can make the learning curve steep, it's far more rewarding in the long run. That and the huge scope of CMBB mean it's unlikely I'll be booting up CMBO for a while. I know there's a more fundamental engine rewrite due, but I for one would buy a version of CMBO with the current improvements alone (including Sturmtigers obviously).

Played Cemetery Hill to utter frustration. CMBB been collecting dust on my hard drive ever since. Can't stand camera views,and side to side movement is just plain annoying. I know is only on the lower half of the screen but that is where my mouse pointer usually resides. There's more but I'm not going into that.

I keep trying, but I still don't like CMBB. I am not entirely sure why?

One thing I have trouble with is seeing what's going on and where things are.

It also seems to me that the Axis forces are virtually invincible and the Russian forces die at the sight of a weapon.

Right now I have PBEM going on and all I can do as Russians is just sit here and get pounded, tank hunters are next to useless unless very close and a good opponent keeps his tanks well back.

When playing Axis against the AI I can win without even thinking.

The shock-waves and exagerated explosions in CMBO might be un-realistic, but I like them and I do play the game for fun.

Maybe CMBB will get sufficient mods and patches to make it as fun to play as CMBO AND keep all the un-deniable improvements of CMBB.

I have both and continue to play CMBO. I will say this though. I like the improvements that have been made in CMBB. I wish BTS would re-release CMBO with a CMBB engine. If you think about the tremendous scope of the project that CMBB is they could probably do that same type of a game for the West Front from 1939-1945. Wishful thinking...

Play both. Love both.

I've been playing more CMBB games than CMBO games recently, mainly because all of my regular opponents just got CMBB, and want to get their feet wet with it.

However, I don't see CMBO leaving my hard drive anytime soon, that is, until I get a new computer ;) Mods and user-made scenarios are extensive for CMBO, making it very replayable.

In the end, tactics I use in CMBO still applies in CMBB, and I've been having good times with both. What's better than that? :D

Originally posted by foamy:

I keep trying, but I still don't like CMBB. I am not entirely sure why?

One thing I have trouble with is seeing what's going on and where things are.

It also seems to me that the Axis forces are virtually invincible and the Russian forces die at the sight of a weapon.

Right now I have PBEM going on and all I can do as Russians is just sit here and get pounded, tank hunters are next to useless unless very close and a good opponent keeps his tanks well back.

When playing Axis against the AI I can win without even thinking.

Re: can't see well-> The trick is getting some "eyes" close enough, maybe closer than ~250m. Outside of that, much of what you "detect" will be just sound contacts.

Try this link for info on the innate advantages that the Russians have that you must exploit to win. Are you playing a lot of Meeting Engagments? Those should be kinda hard for the Soviets, since they get no Prep Barrages or TRPs, which really puts the hurt onto their artillery capabilities. Maybe buy some pimped-out aircraft instead? They have very cheap infantry, plenty of points for tanks and arty, and do try the cheap towed 76mm Regimental Guns for direct fire- try 2-4 of them, they should stay alive, effective, and relatively unspotted if fired at med-long range. Also, consider pairing your Company 50mm's w/ some 82mm mortars. And with all that cheap infantry, use maybe 4 full platoons plus support weapons, tanks, etc. to lay down suppressing fire for the advance/assault of the other 2 platoons (from 2 total Coy). FWIW...SM.

[ November 12, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

You are obviously very easily deterred...
Not at all my friend. That's what I meant by playing it to utter frustration. I've played it too many times that it as ceased to be any fun. I don't claim to be any type of uber battfield tactition,I just try to do the best I can. Like I said before,there is more to me putting it down than just a scenerio.

I am still playing CMBO more often than CMBB, becouse I don't like very much of these new "features", I am waiting for the patch to comeout.

CMBO

+ has much faster gameplay, soldiers are actually running :eek:

+ you can use so much waypoints as necessary.

+ more countries involved

- old graphics

CMBB

+ better graphics

+ Finns are included.

- waypoint penalty, very unrealistic especially with the tanks.

- infantry is tiring and exthausting too easily, no real soldier will get so tired after running couple of hunders meters. :mad:

- just too few countries

Originally posted by Quenaelin:

CMBB

[snip]

+ Finns are included.

[snip]

- infantry is tiring and exthausting too easily, no real soldier will get so tired after running couple of hunders meters. :mad:

Especially a Finn? ;)

Actually, I would agree that it's awfully difficult to move infantry in CMBB. I really miss the old non-tiring sneak command. Move-to-contact is no substitute when even a distant sound contact will freeze units (hope the patch fixes this--though I don't quite understand how the cover-arch element will work). I'm finding 'advance' pretty useful, but there's now no way to move infantry either quickly or stealthily without tiring them out within a few meters. This really slows down game play--and the infantry may in fact be unrealistically slow and easily tired.

I think the balancing act in CM generally is that we're both squad leaders and battalion (or company) commanders. If you stiffen the challenges on the squad level (as CMBB in its present form does) it becomes hard to exercise command on the battalion level. It might be more realistic but it means that you've got to deal with leadership problems on both ends to a fatiguing degree (both the tactical problems of the battalion leader and the individual personnel problems of the squad leader.) I hope the patch slightly greases the wheels without removing the challenges entirely.