Another mod (country) heard from

Well, in the spirit of mod frenzy, and given that I've been told that there's a rumor that some people prefer dirty tanks, here's my take on the weathered and dirty, T-34/76 model 1940.

DirtyT34Front.jpg

DirtyT34Back.jpg

Now, this isn't just another mod preview. I'm also soliciting people to join the "Pig Pen." I'm sure as hell not looking forward to doing a dirty mod for every single vehicle in the game. But, I certainly do prefer a somewhat consistent look to my vehicles, e.g., similar shades of dunkel gelb, olive drab, etc., similar levels of details, dirt, etc. (although I have been known to do mods with some pretty off the wall camo schemes). So, I'm willing to work with anyone and everyone who's interested in creating this type of mod to coordinate the whole series of dirty vehicle mods.

I'm offering my tricks, tips and techniques used to achieve the above results, and am willing to coordinate who's working on which vehicles in order to prevent duplication of effort. The level of dirtiness and the dirt effect are also open to negotiation amongst the "Pig Pen'ers."

I'm also considering formation of the "Whitewash Painters", the "Snow Shovellers", and the "Soviet Camo Syndicate." smile.gif

So, if you're interested, respond here and we'll start getting organinzed for the release of CM:BB.

Gordon

Gordon!!

Looks simply spectacular. :D

Eagerly awaiting more. Marco will be the first to tell you that I think I'm feeling the pull of the dark (and grubby) side.

But... did you remember to mod the little AFV side view that goes in the interface bar? ;)

- Old Dog

Hi,

I'm a willing disciple... I have no prior modding experience though. =( It's soemthing I've thought about doing but well... it seems difficult!

I've read a little bit on PawBroon's site but have not yet really tried out a mod...

Not sure if you could use my help... love the dirty look though.

Nice Gordon nice

Maybe at later date I maybe willing to do a pigpen or whitewhash. But this will definately be after I have had a good couple hundred hours of CMBB under my belt.

It would be a nice change of pace to open up my Photoshop and start modding again. I don't think I have even messed with modding since Aussie Jeff and were working on DFDR stuff. Man that seems like forever. Hell it was for ever ago.

Vader's Jester,

Yes, it's the same techniques I used on my dirty KT prototype. My clean KT will be in the next CMMOS release, but not the dirty one.

Old Dog,

I need to ask Kwazy Dog how he produces those little shots first. But I'm not sure if this dirty version would be distinquishable from the stock clean version at that resolution.

Herr Kruger,

Great, we'll give you another one of the T-34/76 versions to work on, which will allow you to make easy comparisions to the prototype so you'll know if you're making them similar enough. Remember, they don't need to be identical, just similar enough that they looked like they drove through the same muddy country.

Shatter,

That's why I won't be doing these all by myself. I want to get to play this game (as opposed to CM:BO, which I've seldom had a chance to play). smile.gif

Hopefully by spreading around and coordinating the work we can all have our mod cake and play the game too.

Red 6,

You're on the list, and I got your e-mail, thanks.

Gordon

Join IN.

A Weathering Tutorial is to be found at MODs & MODers and the one used by Gordon (a spin off he told me) would be posted also.

The more of us do this and the faster the game will be to our liking.

With the outstanding Stock BMPs, a simple weathering would do for most MOD Sluts needs...

Gordon-

I would be willing to be part of the Pig Pen. I know that there are quite a few vehicles that would need modding. So, include me on the e-mail distribution list (see profile). I am new to the skills of modding (only tried a few minor changes for my own usage), but I am willing to learn and contribute however I can. Plus, I am hoping the veterans could give a "modding-newbie" some pointers/advice.

As I stated before (in another thread), I tried to add slogans, but it did not work out with the single turret bitmaps. However, I am not out of ideas, and I would like to include those in some of the mods. These simple ideas include:

1) Eastern Front specific unit markings; example: the 2nd SS Panzer Division "Springender Teuffel (gnome)" on the Kursk Tigers.

2) Air recognition markings: the stripes on the Russian tanks during the Berlin '45 campaign.

3) Weathering and Battle damage to fenders; examples: T-34s missing front fenders and IS-series tanks and SPGs missing complete fenders (especially on the right side...).

[ September 05, 2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Zitadelle ]

Excellent idea Gordon. While I can't mod I certainly will use them and for this I thank each and everyone of you modders. You guys are great. So here we go. I am dying to see the end result. Man just look at what was done for CMBO.

Hell just seeing the new mods as they come up is as much fun as playing the game. In my opinion of course. smile.gif

bab,

Ok, you're on the list.

Pawbroon,

Thanks, we'll be chatting soon about the Photoshop techiques.

Zitadelle,

Yup, Unit markings like what were done for CM:BO will definitely be on the list.

Air recognition markings: Early war for the Germans, middle to late war for the Russians.

I've always been afraid to try to produce convincing damage, but if anyone can teach me how ...

Also, don't forget that I'm sure we're going to need Polish and Czech markings for all those Russian vehicles, not to mention Allied Bulgarian and Romanian vehicles, Polish Home Army, etc., etc., etc.

Gordon

Gordon,

Nice work! There's a problem, though. Your armored exhaust covers on the rear have all but disappeared. Also, and this is no doubt the 3-D model's deficiency, we shouldn't be able to see much more than the commander's eyes, if those, because of a huge forward folding hatch on early T-34s.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Gordon:

bab,

Ok, you're on the list.

Zitadelle,

Yup, Unit markings like what were done for CM:BO will definitely be on the list.

Air recognition markings: Early war for the Germans, middle to late war for the Russians.

I've always been afraid to try to produce convincing damage, but if anyone can teach me how ...

Also, don't forget that I'm sure we're going to need Polish and Czech markings for all those Russian vehicles, not to mention Allied Bulgarian and Romanian vehicles, Polish Home Army, etc., etc., etc.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. Let's see if I can contribute to the CM community beyond just a few posts on the forums. And, I will get some experience in PhotoShop and Corel PhotoPaint.

I was planning on including the other nation's markings as well; I have a few good sources in my library that I hope to scan and use.

As for Air Recognition markings, I was planning on trying to model Russian markings throughout the conflict. Apparently, they were used for all of the Great Patriotic War- starting with a cross painted on the turret at the beginning and concidently ending with a cross painted on the turret at the end. Of course, we will need to capture images of the German flag for their recognition markings (have some ideas for sources on good weathered flags...).

I would love to join the pig pen but the only thing i could offer at the moment is to beta test the mods.And offer constructive comments.

i am thinking of trying to do something simple just to see if i have any talent for modding.

So if somebody could let me know what the bmp is for the Russian boots.So i can see about trying to dust them up a bit.I know its not a major thing but its a start

smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy fellas. I was just wondering whatever became of Gordons T-34/76 model 1940? It looked very good, and is this group project still going on? very good idea IMO. If this was brought up somwhere else I appologize, I just found this post while doing a search for flag mods, and it got me all fired up. tongue.gif