BFC - Whats the next big thing ??

CMBO - Set the standard for others to follow.

Excellent !

CMBB - Refined the standard.

Word is that its Superb ... im in UK so I still have the joy of waiting to find out :(

But I trust the view of this forum smile.gif and loved the demo.

So BFC whats next for CM3 .... Yeah i know its early, but dont try tell us you havent even given it some thought ;) And if we dont shout out early you'll never know what we want next !

CM3 ideas:

1 - Blitzkreig - Dunkirk ?? Could be a bit similar to BO, but at least the Dutch and Belgians could come out to play with the Poles, French and BEF ... (Thats British Expeditionary Force, for all our US friends :D )

2 - Some Island hopping in the Far East

Jungle warfare .... Hmmmm :D

3 - Sino-Japanese War 1937-45

Japanese Imperial Army vs Chiang Kai-Shek's Nationalist Army and Mao Zedong's communist army in Yenan. :cool:

4 - North Africa ..... :( An important and hard fought part of the war but i think the terrain would be a bit repetative.

My preferance would be for No 2 or 3.

Anybody else got any ideas ??

Lou2000

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know seriously, I would hope for a combination of 1 & 4, since it would be ahard sell (though I would surely buy it) to feature either one of those theatres alone. Together they would be great indeed, especially with the rewrite!

[ October 02, 2002, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

WW1? Cambrai instead of Kursk, and the CMBB MG upgrades will really come in handy now. Maybe w/ the Platoon as the basic smallest unit instead of the squad.

Nah, it probably wouldn't be as exciting, Korea would be better for CM fans, methinks.

[ October 02, 2002, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

I thought about Korea .... I think it may work OK.....but anything after that and the types of weapons available (longer ranges / stand off / EW etc) would mean the maps would need to be MASSIVE and even if the game engine could cope with it, I doubt most peoples PC's could.

Lou2000

I'd like to see them revise the engine to get rid of borg spotting, add a roster function, and the other things that people want then release a combined WW II Europe (CMBO & CMBB ) game using the new engine. BFC has already stated that they don't feel qualified (from a historical knowledge perspective) to do a Pacific front game. After that, I'd be much more interested in Korea through Modern than the minor fronts in WW II.

I would suggest to the Powers That Be @ Battlefront that the next expansion should be The Whole Enchilada WWII. All Units/All Camos(Winter/Desert/Jungle et al)/All Theatres/All Times. Buff up CMBB to CMWWII ! And make the terrain and animations even better. And make the Interface even more user friendly. Add in Campaign potentials (from a strategy map to the battlefield with Supply and experience accounted for). And... well... just more! More I say! More!

Last time this topic came up I was surprised to read that BFC was starting to waffle on their long-held 5-year plan on Western Front/Eastern Front/Mediterrainian(Africa & Italy)/Early War.

A Med Campaign would cover just about the same timespan as CMBB, from early Brit withdrawal from Greece to stalemate along the Gothic line in '45... You could even include Partisan fighting in Yugoslavia and the Champagne Campaign in Southern France! Plenty of variety there, and it would be running off the new game engine to boot.

[ October 02, 2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

WW1? Cambrai instead of Kursk, and the CMBB MG upgrades will really come in handy now. Maybe w/ the Platoon as the basic smallest unit instead of the squad.

Nah, it probably wouldn't be as exciting, Korea would be better for CM fans, methinks.

Scenarios based of the exploits of the Sturmabteilung would actually be quite interesting. Attacks with Limited Objectives!

Guys, don't forget that the research on the units eats up lots of manpower.

Wouldn't it be fine to have a graphically reworked CM (the graphics and CPU power could be available to draw each single soldier)?

Action: Europe till Moscow (therefore most of the already present unit-data could be used)?

If we think further (CM4), the rewrite of the graphic-engine will definately become necessary.

If BFC invests its manpower into graphics, combines CMBO & CMBB to a complete european war theatre with (maybe some additional strategic improvements) and videorecorder review, this would be enough for a new release.

And with the new graphics-engine behind, they'll have after the release of CM3 enough free manpower to invest into research on new units for other war-places or even other wars (WWI?).

I doubt BFC has enough manpower, to develop a new graphics engine AND to do all the great historical research they did in the past.

Your opinions?

Originally posted by Schoerner:

If BFC invests its manpower into graphics, combines CMBO & CMBB to a complete european war theatre with (maybe some additional strategic improvements) and videorecorder review, this would be enough for a new release.

Your opinions?

OK who would pay $75 US ($150 CND) for " The Whole Enchilada WWII. All Units/All Camos(Winter/Desert/Jungle et al)/All Theatres/All Times. Buff up CMBB to CMWWII !"

Yes they should "revise the engine to get rid of borg spotting, add a roster function, and the other things that people want (full movie replay) then release a combined WW II Europe (CMBO & CMBB ) game using the new engine.WHOLE WWII?"

They already have all the data for all of the units in CMBB and CMBO. They have told us to expect at LEAST 2 years of development time.

Hell I would pay $75 for all of CMBO and CMBB in ONE game with only TWO new features :

i) FULL length movie replay

AND

ii) NO more Borg Spotting (Advance spotting algorthym called Relative Spotting.

They say they are keen to work on both these issues smile.gif

What more could we want??

your comments?

-tom w

Of course by the time we have a CM3 or 4, computers and software will be more advanced, we could do away with abstract inf. squads. Having every man represented ala close combat, except better. Maybe have names for all soldiers as well. But this new engine would still be turn based..too much to keep up with in realtime.

I'v haven't got the full CMBB yet :( but I'd buy a reworked CMBO with the CMBB engine from what I'v seem so far.

If I get really hooked on the CMBB rules it's sad that I won't (or find it hard) to play some Western front games :( .

With the deathclock and harder to kill tanks it would make CMBO more like the stories you read in the history books. Tigers will benefit from their all around thick armor, easily brewed Shermans will make a real diff as it's easy to see a knockout (no choice to stay in the tank then smile.gif ). Tigers will finally be the tough and feared tank instead of the pretty easily knocked out tank it's in CMBO (as everyone seems to buy 76 upgraded Shermans smile.gif )

IMHO

Pete.

Originally posted by Schoerner:

Your opinions?

Great idea !

I think they already mentioned they plan to drop the CMII engine into CMBO and CMBB after the release of CMDD. So I believe it has already been decided !

Cordially,

Voxman

Originally posted by Voxman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Schoerner:

Your opinions?

Great idea !

I think they already mentioned they plan to drop the CMII engine into CMBO and CMBB after the release of CMDD. So I believe it has already been decided !

Cordially,

Voxman</font>

My thought is that they might best split their forces and have the code hackers (Steve?) work on the engine rewrite while the modelers build CMBO models for the CMBB engine. Then perhaps they could turn out a CMBB'ized version of CMBO in say nine months to a year followed by a whole new engine that possibly covers a new theater in say another year. The idea is NOT to try to retro fit the CMBB code back into CMBO but rather add the CMBO units and terrain features into CMBB. That should require less coding and more modelling. I think that the reworked "CMBO" would be very appealing to the CM community even if it had no new features other than including the units and terrain features covered in CMBO with the CMBB features (I know I would like it!!) It could leverage off of the huge amount of scenarios developed and everyone could have the fun of replaying those old scenarios with the CMBB features. And not having to wait another two years for the next version would be nice for both the gamers (the last wait was awfully long) and BTS (from a cash flow perspective).

[ October 02, 2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Midnight Warrior ]