Tom's Combat Mission...

I hate to say this ( nothing against the guy ) but maybe Tom's Combat Mission HQ should pack it in. 3/4 of the time when you want to dowload something it's unavailable. This really frustrating as he's got some really good stuff there. The catch is you can't D/L it!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's pretty bad.

I thought it was just me, 98% of the time I get a server busy message. It was never like this before. Pretty much inpossible to download from there. You are right though, there are some very nice mods there.

Kind of like looking through the window at a closed toy store when you were a kid.

Personally thanks Tom, it seems the old line of patience is a virtue is lost on some. Also seeing as it is a free mod, not needed to play the game, presented by work donated to the website and the mod itself, I would be happy to endure a little discomfort for the work all of the modders and webmasters put in.

Thanks again.

tom's is a great site. you just have to have patience with it. if it's busy, leave the site and try later. i've had luck downloading when i wake up in the morning. i've got all the mods he's posted for cmbb. many thanks to him and the modders!

Like I said before I've got nothing against Tom. I've D/L'd a lot of good mods from his site & I do appreciate the fact that it's free & I thank him for that. It seems as though MGO may have bitten off more than they can chew with the amount of traffic he gets. I'd be willing to host some of the mods on my own site but I don't have nearly enough space to do this & I'd bet MSN would charge me an arm & leg to get more ( $29.95 per month was that last I heard ).

All I'm saying is that it's kind of maddening to try to D/L something only to get " Page cannot be displayed " repeatedly. It's becoming a hit & miss situation.

Tell you what, I thought the same thing you guys thought: This sucks, that sucks, and I can't download nuttin' cuz it's 'unavailable.'

But then, yesterday, to my surprise I found I could download anything I wanted as long as I waited for the current download to finish before starting another AND I don't use any accelarators!

And that's good enough for me. And what's good enough for me is good enough for y'all, on account of me being such a modest feller. ;)

The site may look really great and Tom may be a really terrific guy, but after trying to download those mods for several weeks and still not being able to download them is a sure-fire recipe for unhappy campers. I don't understand why they are offered if they can't be downloaded 75% of the time in the site's current incarnation?

Is this a case of a site just trying to do more than it really can do? At one time a 56K modem was it. Then it was ISDN. Then it was DSL or a satellite connection to your favorite ISP. (Maybe there is something even faster nowadays?) Let's face it. We are all expecting a certain standard with the internet because we've been groomed for it and a 25% chance to download a file is way, way below that standard. (I'm not trying to be mean by saying this.)

Lastly, I want to say that I am very grateful for the few mods that I have been able to download from Tom's site. They certainly have made my CMBB look nicer and he sure has some great mods there to download. Please go here to get them:

http://www.militarygameronline.com/TCMHQ/International.html

I sincerely wish that you will have better luck than I.

Guys I could not download any mods till I made

some changes in my Microsolf Internet Explorer

Ref Oct 20, 02 Topic:( Some news from Tom's

Combat Mission HQ ) When to Tools then internet

options checked and unchecked some boxes. works

now Read the messages in Topic Oct 20, 02

Hope this mit help.

Regards

Lane smile.gif

[ October 27, 2002, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Lane ]

For those having trouble downloading from Tom's site, try this.

If you are using Internet Explorer

1.) Go to the Tools menu, then click on the Internet Options... menu item.

2.) On the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab.

3.) Now scroll through the list and make sure the following items are set as listed:

- Enabled Folder view for FTP sites (unchecked)

- Use Passive FTP (checked)

- Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections (checked)

4.) Now go to the General Tab and click on the Delete Files... button. Then click on the Clear History button.

5.) Close Internet Explorer.

6.) Now start Internet Explorer again, go to Tom's site and try downloading.

Hopefully this works for others as it worked for me. I was getting the "Anonymous access denied" (or somefink) error as well. After changing Internet Explorer to these settings, it works fine now.

BTW, I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

EDIT: It doesn't always work the first time. If you still get the message, keep clicking the link. Eventually it will work. I'm not even sure now that the above setting changes make a difference but they can't hurt. Strange indeed.

Keith

I just checked some cmbb tank mods at Toms and can't

download but I have downloaded with these settings

Like Abbott said keep Trying.

Thank's Abbott for posting the settings

Lane

[ October 27, 2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Lane ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I hate to say this ( nothing against the guy ) but maybe Tom's Combat Mission HQ should pack it in. 3/4 of the time when you want to dowload something it's unavailable. This really frustrating as he's got some really good stuff there. The catch is you can't D/L it!!!!

Hmmmmmm, I've never had a problem with DL's from Tom's HQ and I've never tweaked any settings.

I think it may be the browser, mine...Netscape 4.7. smile.gif

Rgds,

KC

Like many others I have tried and failed to download from TCMHQ. (though i have managed some)

But is STRONGLY disagree with the first post in this thread.

Tom should NOT pack it in . Sure there are some D/L probs, but im assuming a big part of that is down to increased bandwidth demands since the demise of the 'Proving Grounds'.

If thats the case, its the demand from people like us that is causing the problem.

I have used his site in the past and there was never a problem.

Keep it going Tom

Lou2000

Originally posted by Lou2000:

Like many others I have tried and failed to download from TCMHQ. (though i have managed some)

But is STRONGLY disagree with the first post in this thread.

Tom should NOT pack it in . Sure there are some D/L probs, but im assuming a big part of that is down to increased bandwidth demands since the demise of the 'Proving Grounds'.

If thats the case, its the demand from people like us that is causing the problem.

I have used his site in the past and there was never a problem.

Keep it going Tom

Lou2000

I fully agree with Lou2000.

Tom, keep going, your site is an essential part of the CM-community - we cannot live without it. Your hard work is really appreciated - thanks.

Mr. Die Easy

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I am in the same boat as you(except mine is 100% of the time) but I would not say for him to pack it in! I too wish that the problem would be fixed but as long a some can enjoy the site and benefit from it, it should stay. The others(myself included) will just have to wait untill Matt gets back to updating HQ! And yes I have tryed all the littel fixes and none work!

Tom's doing an awesome job with his site. I've downloaded tons of mods from his old site and downloaded several already from his new site. Since I disabled download accelerator I usually get no problems.

I'm very thankful for all his work and dedication, his 'Ardennes mod' for CMBO is one of the three must-have mods for me.