Anyone converting ASL senarioes?

Breakout from Borisov has been done - ASL Veteran is playtesting it right now - if you want a copy, email me! ASL Vet is doing a huge slate of them. I must say, he's done a brilliant job with the maps, replacing the flat SL stuff while still giving the feel...

Mr Sprk has also converted a couple scenarios as mentioned above which I am looking at, too.

I did the following so far:

-Hube's Pocket

-Directive Number Three

-With Flame and Shell

-First to Strike

-Little Stalingrad

-Schwerepunkt!

-Nimm Das Jetzt

I modified the original maps somewhat and changed the Orbats to fit CMBB. I going to try and do the following this week:

-Breakout from Borisov

-Paw of the Tiger

-Sowchos 79

-Preparing the Way

-The Schoolhouse

-Draconian Measures

Quality, not speed, is what counts here.

Perhaps all the various ASL converters would care to post some designer's notes on their conversion process? I know ASL Vet has a tried and trued method - his map for Breakout from Borisov is simply quite stunning. Haven't had a chance to try out Mr Spkr's scenarios yet, so can't comment on them.

But with the truly awful conversions that came about in CMBO, I'd be interested in reading about what playtesting and conversion guidelines are being followed by the various authors.

It is worth mentioning that ASL Vet hasn't announced the release of any scenarios because he is playtesting them first... ;)

As a hint - the new subtle elevation changes can be used to good effect on the billiard table SL boards. Be interested in seeing what other tips and tricks the conversion author's are coming up with.

Hill 621 is completed and has been put through the playtesting steps. I am waiting for a few more comments to come out, and will release it in the next couple of days.

Capture of Balta is out to playtesters -- I expect it out late this week.

Sowchos 79 is on schedule -- should be out to playtesters later this week (maybe tonight -- who knows).

Steve

I wasn't planning on posting any of the scenarios for a while. I did the maps and OOB first, then playtested, after which refinements are made. I played my Hube's Pocket scenario several times, and despite the fact that it went well, I still want to refine it some more. The "to do" list of scenarios are the ones that I wanted to re-create first (time permitting). I also wanted to see what others are doing, as I don't want to duplicate effort (an excellent Breakout from Borisov has already been done).

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Perhaps all the various ASL converters would care to post some designer's notes on their conversion process? I know ASL Vet has a tried and trued method - his map for Breakout from Borisov is simply quite stunning. Haven't had a chance to try out Mr Spkr's scenarios yet, so can't comment on them.

But with the truly awful conversions that came about in CMBO, I'd be interested in reading about what playtesting and conversion guidelines are being followed by the various authors.

Mike, for most of mine, I am trying to stay as true as possible to the SL versions. Since I never owned, saw, or played ASL (I'll leave those conversions to others).

Basically, I have a formula for how I convert the map that seems to work fairly well. I don't put in random heights or depressions to 'vary' the billiard style map because I find that (even on the Board 4 map) the other terrain tends to break things up.

I use things like ammunition levels, morale, and leadership qualities to balance the scenarios without altering the units involved. As such, I am sticking with the larger SL/COI scenarios as the force levels in the smaller ones are simply not much fun in CMBB.

Finally, I ship off the scenarios to a group of playtesters, dedicated folks who give me terrific input. Hill 621 has gone through several evolutions as a result of their comments, and is now in what I consider to be darned good form. I am waiting for a couple of guys to finish up and send me feedback, then I will release it for posting at Admiral Keth's site.

I ask the playtesters to look at balance, fun, AI competence, and for advice on any proposed changes. I have gotten into some interesting discussions regarding why I made a particular change, and have gotten good feedback on what I call 'Doh!' issues (things I should have caught the first time around).

All in all, it has been a fun process.

Steve

[ September 30, 2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

The SL/COI conversions I am working on are not true conversions. As you know the CM engine AI is at its best when defending, so I work from that strength. The “Breakout from Borisov” COI battle was always my favorite and I have found “tweaks” quite well for a solo engagement verse the AI in attack/defense mode.

Instead of a SL/COI conversion straight across into a meeting engagement, the battle and operation I am working on is the German attack of the 18th panzer division and the expansion of the bridgehead over the Berezina river by the 52nd. PzGr. Regiment.

[ September 30, 2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

I'm working on a CC3 map. It is a pretty close approximation. I'm just deciding on what forces to include.

Close Combat? Well, two squads and three tanks would seem to be the appropriate force mix, then. ;) Which map are you doing?</font>

Originally posted by Martyr:

Hey--I just realized:

With CMBB's ability to import maps for QBs, it will be possible to play virtually any situation on maps that approximate the familiar SL/ASL map environments...

That never occurred to me before, but...you may be on to something there...now, if we could just get the QB generator to select a map at random from a particular folder...

[ September 30, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

The only problem is that the various configurations would all have to be manually converted -- an exhausting task, particularly on boards with lots of roads (the village on 3 and the urban area of 1 take a LONG time to convert).

Okay -- Sowchos 79 out to playtesters tonight -- that is my goal.

Steve