CMBB Demo Bug Thread

Okay, this seems like a good place to note bugs in the Demo.

I have two - one nitpicky, one not. Nitpicky -- various typos in the scenario description for Yelnia Stare. No play problems here, but it probably should get fixed before the final version is shipped.

A second bug, however, is a little more obnoxious. I set up extreme fog of war, then turned "Bases Off" in the same scenario setup (to take a nice picture). Then, I ran turn one. After turn one, I could not restore bases.

Steve

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

MrSpkr, are you absolutely sure about the bases...Ive never had a problem with them and I use them all the time to take screen shots. Oh, make sure you didnt hit caps lock accidently smile.gif

Dan

Yeah -- when I hit the hotkey, the message "show basses on" or "show bases off" comes up at the top of the screen, but there is no graphics change.

Want me to send you a save game file?

Steve

I'll copy n paste from my thread. I restarted and tried to reproduce it but i wasnt able to.

While playing the Schwerpunkt scenario I ordered my Pz IV platoon to fire at the little clump of trees around the road by the starting area, in the middle of the map. Some of the panzers may have been out of LOS, but i think 1 or 2 were able to target. But when i clicked the targetting line on the trees I got 4 area fire lines to the bottom left corner of the map, behind my Panzers. This is only happening when i select the whole platoon, not individual tanks. I just did another check and all the other tank platoons do the same thing, but not when i target with each tank.

Edit: A quick re-check found all tanks on the map to be out of LOS to the targetted point.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Odd indeed...yup, send me a save and Ill check it out Steve smile.gif

Dan

Ahhhh - I just figured it out.

I hit the "Hide Play Aids" button ({shift}+Q) -- apparently that hides all "last known location markers" AND unit bases (but does not get rid of covered arcs or waypoints -- odd).

Never mind -- sorry to trouble but appreciate the fast answer, Dan.

Steve

One thing I noticed so far (besides being absolutely stunned by this piece of art!) is that there seems to be a small bug with the way the tracks move on some tanks (The Pz IV and Pz III in the Kursk scenario and the KV). When I look at these tanks (advancing) from behind, the tracks are moving in the wrong direction, looking a bit odd.

The tracks on the T34 work fine, though.

It can look that way sometimes when a tank is moving at full speed. Look at those tracks when the tank is at normal MOVE speed and see what direction they are moving in.

The effect that I believe your seeing is the same with props on planes that appear to reverse when they get up to speed.

I just checked the demo and they are revolving correctly.

Madmatt

[ September 01, 2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Thx Matt. I looked at them using the "move" command and yes, that may indeed be a a visual effect of the fast moving tracks. Maybe the effect is just more noticeable on these tanks.

Just checked again with a KV.

When the tank accelerated, first the tracks move in the "right" direction, and when running faster that effect kicks in.

Impressive!

I think I know what I'll be doing the rest of the Sunday.

Thx for all your efforts!

I just came across a possible bug. Playing "Citadel Schwerpunkt" as germans against AI. When I try to click on any tank crews the game freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-del or esc to exit the game. If I ctrl-alt-del I get an "unhandled error exception" message. This happened with both a dead crew and one with survivors. Running WinXP Home.

Originally posted by highlife:

I just came across a possible bug. Playing "Citadel Schwerpunkt" as germans against AI. When I try to click on any tank crews the game freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-del or esc to exit the game. If I ctrl-alt-del I get an "unhandled error exception" message. This happened with both a dead crew and one with survivors. Running WinXP Home.

I was just going to report the same thing. When I click on my German tank crew the game crashes to the desktop. Win98SE

Originally posted by highlife:

Madmatt: Scrolling does the same thing when a crew is reached, lock up. Yes, they are bailed crews, one is a "dead body" graphic, the other appears to have "live" crew members.

E-mail on the way.

Thanks guys, I will make sure Charles looks into this issue as I can replicate it on my XP box with those save files.

Full version of the game doesnt crash so it should be an easy fix.

Madmatt

[ September 01, 2002, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I am noticing what might be called a "graphics bleed" above the control bar. Starts out clear then accumulates bits of the yellow frames around highlighted units, truncated words from terrain and unit descriptions. Manifests as a flickering collection of graphics noise about two inches wide and maybe 1/16th inch high, on the top right edge of the control panel at the bottom of the screen. If I minimize the game with ESC and then maximize it again, the rubbish disappears, but eventually reappears after a few moments.

I am using a Radeon 7500 card with 64mb (or 128, I can't remember) of RAM. I will try and upgrade the driver if possible and see if that fixes the problem. Other specs; Windows XP, 256MB RAM, Intel 1.7 GHz.

I am playing the tutorial scenario.

- OGSF

Later, back at the ranch: I updated the video drivers to the Radeon Reference driver, 7.70., and the "effect" seems to have gone away. FYI to Radeon owners.

[ September 01, 2002, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: OGSF ]

Crew Crash

I did a little research. I started up the tutorial and ran the T-34s around until one was knocked out. I was able to select the crew with no problem including reloading a saved game file.

I have to go to bed now. Yes I know, how could I on this night of all nights? :eek:

The effect that I believe your seeing is the same with props on planes that appear to reverse when they get up to speed.
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No, not impressive at all. The only time you get that effect (which is called strobing, for reasons that will become clear) is when the environment is lit by electric light.

In daylight, you don't get that effect. Look at spoked hubcaps foe an example you're likely to find nearby. In daylight, they don't do that. At night, they do. Streetlights, like other electric lights, aren't actually on all the time. The oscillate very quickly between on and off, 60 times a second (in North America). Our eyes can't detect that.

Remember strobe lights in discos? Remember how they appeared to slow people so that everybody looked to be in slow motion even though everyone was still moving at real time? This electric oscillation does the same thing at a much faster rate. Depending on the speed of hubcap rotation, the spokes can look like they are moving forward, backward, or staying still. The same thing can happen when see a hubcap on TV or in the movies, becuase those media also strobe - at 24 times a second in the case of film.

Now, for CM will show this strobing either because it was coded that way or because the moniter refresh rate is strobing the tracks, which are drawn in place. I kinda suspect it's the coding, which would be wrong.

Webs no, its not specifically coded into CM its just a side effect of the monitor refresh. Btw, I have seen this effect in real life...watch a prop on a plane at an airshow. Its not an uncommon effect. smile.gif

Ryan, thats strange indeed but Chalres will be looking into it. What is odd os that none of our beta testers reported this in the demo and I havnt seen it myself, so I guess its hardware or driver specific. System specs may help here guys...

Dan

[ September 01, 2002, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]