What about future CMs on DVD?

Just a quick note on this subject. While DVD's do have their advantages, I wouldn't go assuming all of us will have one any time soon. I for one have no intention of getting one put in my current computer and/or probably getting one in my next new one. There simply is little reason to do so.

Mike

Originally posted by Mikester:

Just a quick note on this subject. While DVD's do have their advantages, I wouldn't go assuming all of us will have one any time soon. I for one have no intention of getting one put in my current computer and/or probably getting one in my next new one. There simply is little reason to do so.

Mike

well i for one disagree i am sure the same was said when CD drives came along well take a look now everything is on CD , DVD is the future

Have to agree with Jake on this. I just bought a Pioneer slot-load combo dvd-16x/cd-rom-40x for $45. There's hardly a reason not to have DVD now, but the real push will come from software developers who are running out of space on one CD for their product(like BTS with CMBB). Same thing happened when publishers changed from floppy disk to CD.

Ren

I am going to put my vote on "Feature Creep" being the reason that it wasn't planned for a 2-disc release.

It certainly may be that I am talking out by butt, but I am presuming that the original plan was to fit CM:BB onto 1 disc. Then perhaps what could be accomplished by the production date started to push the space limits of the CD. My guess is that the time and hassle of what it would take for the extra space wasn't worth it, either because the 2nd disc would be nearly empty and/or it would delay the release date.

The compromise that we see, in which BTS will soon release a patch to provide distinct models for units that might otherwise have been left out is really top notch customer service as far as I am concerned. When the norm is for a patch to be a necessity to correct major game problems, we are fortunate to be able to look for an upgrade in features instead.

I love DVD's and would never purchase a video if the disc was available. I think they are a big step in the entertainment field so eventually I would think many game developers will make use of their capabilities. At the moment I don't know how feasibile it is for the mass market if you are interested in consumers that are not on the leading or secondary tech curve, but sooner or later it will likely make sense.

BDH

Originally posted by Commissar:

BTW, was there some reason why BFC couldn't use two CDs instead of one beside the cost factor? They could always charge a little more for it.

Umm I think BTS is doing quite well on what they are charging for their game already, thank you very much.

I wouldn't call it top notch support. Its not too cool when I have to download some monsterous patch because they went cheap and put it on one CD.

CDs are cheap to make. They don't sell through regular retail outlets so they aren't losing half of the revenue.

The "real" reason, is that in order to ship orders to Canadia, and not take such a huge loss on shipping they had to forego the second CD. ;)

If it were a perfect world, I'd have liked:

For the game to ship out on the ship date

For the game to be complete

For the game to come in a box

For the game CD to come in a jewel case

For the developers to actually allow direct email

For the developers to actually answer questions asked in the forums

Ahhh, well. You see if they'd have shipped the game to those of us who preordered like they did in Germany, I'd have had no time to be posting like this. I'd be busy enjoying a great game.

Here's looking forward to the 580 meg patch. :D

-Byron

Hi Guys,

A DVD is out for now as many people dont have DVD players in their computer yet guys. smile.gif I would say that this will slowly change, but we cant swap over to DVD's for some time to come.

And we didnt go for one CD dover two because we were too cheap. smile.gif We had two option here...ship with substitue models as we did in CMBO or remove these vehicles from the game. We decided to go with the first option. Good news is that this time around I will have the time to update many of those models. smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by jake bullet:

well i for one disagree i am sure the same was said when CD drives came along well take a look now everything is on CD , DVD is the future

No doubt, but remember the days that games came out on dozens of floppy's requiring horrible and utterly annoying install procedures? Floppy had been de facto dead before CD arrived, DVD is for now just a convenience.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

We had two option here...ship with substitue models as we did in CMBO or remove these vehicles from the game. We decided to go with the first option. Good news is that this time around I will have the time to update many of those models. smile.gif

Dan

Hey the IS3 could'ah looked like a VW Beetle as far as I cared since yer gonna fix it up later anyway. Thanks for the extra AFVs!!!!!! Look forward to seeing them in all their finished glory. :D

Fanbay VJ, out!