King Tiger knocked out by black block?

Had a bogged King Tiger and a lone soldier threw some kinda black thing and it clunked on my Tiger. Said "Hit" and then the tank was knocked out.

What is that supposed to represent?

He hurled it at the tank. Wasn't placed on the tank.

No fire, so not a Molatov.

Is that an abstraction? Looked kind of like something from an Atari 2600 game to be honest. Big black block tossed at my tank.

-Byron

I think what you saw was the use of minedogs by conscript russians.

During the war many russian soldiers lacked the extensive training required to train minedogs using Pavlovian reflexes and instead used rather rude techniques. Often they simply strapped a AT mine onto a (preferable) small dog and threw the dog/mine combo at german AFVs.

During the course of the war, the soviet army used smaller and smaller dogs, enabling them to be thrown at more distant targets. The pinnacle of this developement was reached in October '44 when a 25kg AT mine was strapped on a lend-lease Chihuahua.

Results were less than satisfactory and the next series abandoned the use of dogs altogether.

If you click on the squad that threw the AT pixel, and go back in time to a time before the squad threw the pixel-o-death (i.e., use the rewind command), you can look at the squad's store of grenades, grenade bundles, wurfmine, etc; one should disappear from the list when the unit throws one; whatever disappears is what he threw.

Thank you for all the replies.

Great toss if it was a satchel charge.

Was the RPG fired so it'd hit in an arc? Or fired directly at the tank.

Seemed to land on the "roof" of the turret.

Was buttoned up at the time.

Make a clunk sound when it hit. No explosion though.

Had to laugh, no it wasn't a Finnish solider.

Random battle so I'll probably be unable to replicate it.

-Byron

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Was it thrown by a Finn? It could have been a toaster oven.

No.

I think you're confusing toaster ovens with boxes of toothpicks.

Mace</font>

Originally posted by beyerun64:

Was the RPG fired so it'd hit in an arc? Or fired directly at the tank.

Seemed to land on the "roof" of the turret.

RPG in this case doesn't mean Rocket Propelled Germansheperd but "Reactiveny Puhpupuh Grenadski" (or something like that) meaning shape charge warhead. It's a big grenade that is weighted to hit armor at a certain angle when thrown. So it was indeed thrown on top of the tank and penetrates the thin top armor downwards.

[EDIT]RPG=Rucharnaya Protivotankovaya Granata, in english: antitank handgrenade.

[ September 27, 2002, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Finns can knock out a tank with anything...

I did a quick battle just now with the computer picking everything - I had to assault across open, flat ground with conscript Finns. Let's just say I'm not buying into the uberFinn mythos at the moment...

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

I think what you saw was the use of minedogs by conscript russians.

During the war many russian soldiers lacked the extensive training required to train minedogs using Pavlovian reflexes and instead used rather rude techniques. Often they simply strapped a AT mine onto a (preferable) small dog and threw the dog/mine combo at german AFVs.

During the course of the war, the soviet army used smaller and smaller dogs, enabling them to be thrown at more distant targets. The pinnacle of this developement was reached in October '44 when a 25kg AT mine was strapped on a lend-lease Chihuahua.

Results were less than satisfactory and the next series abandoned the use of dogs altogether.

Yes, the russians learned really fast, in pre-wartime, they tryed it with Mine-Cats, but those stinky pets, did allways landed on her feets, insteed of her backs with the mines on it... :D

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I did a quick battle just now with the computer picking everything - I had to assault across open, flat ground with conscript Finns. Let's just say I'm not buying into the uberFinn mythos at the moment...</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I did a quick battle just now with the computer picking everything - I had to assault across open, flat ground with conscript Finns. Let's just say I'm not buying into the uberFinn mythos at the moment...</font>

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by mike_in_texas:

Possibly an AT magnetic mine?

Dang. It must be in the CM code that a late-war German tank isn't using "zimmerit" anti-magnetic paste --- unless a CM gamer creates and applies a graphics mod showing otherwise. ;)