ModSlut special: Small arms preview! Hot Pix Inside!!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian:

Very pretty. Why two SMLEs?

Bad, Brian! BAD!

Those are No. 4s, which were not known as SMLE in civilized countries.

</font>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Juju:

Originally posted by Brian:

[q]Now, a question, doesn't the .50 cal feed from the left, not the right?

I suspected as much. Bit of a cheat for BTS to save on bitmaps like that.

Michael has already mentioned (incorrectly IMO ;) ) that its the .303in rifle. Again, why two?

Oh, ye Gods! You guys are all stone bonkers, aren't you. :rolleyes:tongue.gif

Again, why two?

Basically cos I did two, I like them both. I'm not even sure which one I like best, and I'm not prepared to drop either one. Besides, people just love options.

Originally posted by sturner:

Oh, and don't forget the bayonet. We must have the bayonet.

Can't. You'd have to shorten the gun considerably to attach one. It looks funny.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

How about slings on the weapons, too?

I've toyed with that a bit as well, but decided I liked them much better without straps. Therefore, no straps.

Originally posted by sturner:

Don't play with us. Give us the mod... NOW!

Oh, and don't forget the bayonet. We must have the bayonet. Everyone knows that most positions were taken with cold steel.

At least that's what the French kept telling me.

You know, if you really want the mod NOW all you have to do is take a screenshot of the image Juju posted, cut out the weapon, paste it into the appropriate CMBO BMP file (keeping the proportions the same), and pinking out the background...

Originally posted by IronChef4:

Is the MP40 really that big???

Nah, that's just the bitmap dimensions.

Tried some very basic weathering/dirtying today, but so far all it does is work detrimental to the beauty of the overall work. And anyway, in-game they don't nearly look as clean as in those preview pics.

I still have the scope to work on (not as easy as it sounds), and the Vickers is giving me pains, but so far, so good.

Originally posted by Manx:

Thanks for the time you have obviously spent on this project, and please release them soon eh?

Doing this mod I found out exactly how time consuming this modding thing is. Sometimes six to eight hours a day, for two weeks. The Vickers alone took me already nine hours or more, and I'm not even satisfied with it! :eek:

you can expect a submission soon, Manx.

[ March 22, 2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Originally posted by Commissar:

Makes me want to grab it and start firining it myself.

You know, those are almost the exact words Vader's Jester, one of the playtesters, uttered upon seeing that MP. smile.gif

Uhm..., firining?

Again, why two?

Basically cos I did two, I like them both. I'm not even sure which one I like best, and I'm not prepared to drop either one. Besides, people just love options.
Fair enough. Another thing I noticed with the Vickers, it looks like you've taken the image of a cutaway instructional model, not a real one. There appears to be a cutout section in the cooling jacket, showing the barrel, painted red and the water jacket itself, in its natural metal (aluminium?) colour.

Also, the tripod mounting would not be high-polished bronze in operational use (except perhaps in a Guards battalion? ;) ). It would have been painted or anodised. Which again makes me believe that, again, you've used an instructional model, rather than a service weapon.

Finally, most service weapons had the ribbed jacket and/or the canvas cover over the jacket, to enable it to be gripped when changing barrels/carrying the weapon.

Apart from these sorts of minor quibbles, excellent work.

Brian, I thought that was a data plate or museum plate on the barrel jacket! Good spotting.

The MP40 is also warped - it isn't a dead perpendicular view, the butt of the weapon is slightly closer to the viewer than the barrel - giving a warped look to the barrel; the front sight makes this obvious. It took me a couple of viewings to even notice it, but it is pronounced once you do see it.

I really do like the woodgrain on the rifles; Juju's K98 is much nicer than the one in my gun locker.

Another thing I noticed with the Vickers, it looks like you've taken the image of a cutaway instructional model, not a real one. There appears to be a cutout section in the cooling jacket, showing the barrel, painted red and the water jacket itself, in its natural metal (aluminium?) colour.

Nope, it's real one alright. Should I remove the cutout section? I kinda like it. It breaks that awfully big barrel a bit.

Also, the tripod mounting would not be high-polished bronze in operational use (except perhaps in a Guards battalion? ;) ). It would have been painted or anodised. Which again makes me believe that, again, you've used an instructional model, rather than a service weapon.

I'll work on the tripod. It is somewhat shiny, isn't it.

As for it being an instructional model; I believe the actual piece in the collection of a private owner.

Finally, most service weapons had the ribbed jacket and/or the canvas cover over the jacket, to enable it to be gripped when changing barrels/carrying the weapon.

Don't hold your breath. ;)

Hey, Thanks! smile.gif

Another thing I noticed with the Vickers, it looks like you've taken the image of a cutaway instructional model, not a real one. There appears to be a cutout section in the cooling jacket, showing the barrel, painted red and the water jacket itself, in its natural metal (aluminium?) colour.

Yes, you should remove the cutout section. If you want the cooling jacket's lines "broken", then I'd suggest either the ribbed version and/or the canvas cover. If you tried to fire a gun with such a cutout, it would malfunction on the first round, in all likelihood.

I suspect you'll find the reason he's got it, is because it was an instructional model. I've seen similar instructional weapons when I was in the Army. They take a weapon, give it to some craftsman to work on and he basically cuts away parts of the body, etc. so the students can see the inner workings. They are usually a masterpiece in themselves. I remember a Bren, on which it was possible to see all the working parts and yet it still worked (and held together whats more), despite having most of its body cut away. It had been beautifully done.

Why ever not? You've shown you're a master at this, just look upon this as the finishing touch. :D

Anytime, credit where credit is due.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Good looking work. The Garand doesn't have

the correct WWII style locking bar on the rear

sight, and if you look real close, you can see

that the serial number indicates it was built

by Winchester in 1943, so it is obvious that it

is a reworked piece.

Also, the chamber brush in the cleaning kit

is not the early style that was part of the

combination tool. Other than that, it's great!

;)

Not only that, but the M-1 in the picture has

the stamped trigger guard. All Winchesters used

the milled unit. The safety is wrong, and the

finnish is way too coarse for WW II Winchester

parkerization. Probably an 'import'.

[ March 19, 2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: SGT_Gold ]

Yes, you should remove the cutout section. If you want the cooling jacket's lines "broken", then I'd suggest either the ribbed version and/or the canvas cover.

Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the cutout, and try for the sleeve anyway (very, very clever of you ;) )