Human vs. Human etiquette

As every compulsive player of CMBO knows, after many brawls a code of conduct in human vs. human matches emerged dealing with issues such as choice of battle (i.e., one picks the map, the other sides), terrain (the opponents must agree on which terrain fight), and additional rules (e.g. Panther 76 or not, etc.).

However, being CMBB a rather different game it seems to me that soon we all should come to some new and additional understandings on certain key issues.

a) FOW: It seems to be real CM players with iron balls use only extreme settings. That is the dominant fad. Unless explicitly requested extreme FOW should be used.

B) Year/month: selection of the year/month has huge impact on the balance of the game (as everybody who tried to stop a KV1 on the loose in June 1941 knows). This is an area in which being a grognard or not is likely to make a difference. Grognards should play fairly and ensure they do not plut at disadvantage people who play CM without having written a PH.D. on armor thickness in the Eastern front. I really wonder eventually whether a generally agreed compromise date for QBs will emerge (e.g. battles from spring 1944 on seem to be fairly balanced). In sum, time should always be agreed upon.

c) Rarity: Rarity, again, has a huge impact on the game balance. The issue here is basically the same, but add to the time-selection issue an extra complication. Unless explicitly agreed battles should be without rarity.

c) It seems everybody will use end-randomizer. Finally that will put an end to the last-minute-flag rush. :mad: Random end should be default unless explicitly agreed.

Comments? Additions?

I may be misunderstanding you, but I think I disagree with your point about rarity. As I understand it, rarity acts as a way to influence the player away from gamey units by making them much more expensive than a more appropriate unit for the period. I think it can also help the less historically knowledgeable people pick units appropriate for the period (i.e. those with low rarity values). In my games, I would insist on rarity being on.

Here's a simpler solution.

a) pick all random forces, computer generated

B) finish all games started without whining about it or bailing out 20 turns in

c) Tell yourself you're going to lose half the time, so you might as well have fun doing it and learn something along the way

d) Don't be smug and smarmy or superior to your opponent, be open and honest and help him learn from his mistakes - that way he gets to be a better player, and will be more of a challenge next time you face him - which is more likely if you're not a complete ass during the game you're currently playing

Pretty simple, really.

My only gripe about the games I've played against humans is that a lot of people just quit when they are losing without telling you or quit when you lose connection (if they are behind) instead of trying to reconnect. I have a lousy phone line and I warn people about that, but in almost every game I've played where I was ahead if I lost connection the other player made no attempt to re-contact me to finish the game.

Gameyness is usually not a function of rarity, but of price or game bugs.

Those "gamey" units in CMBO which had to be limited in human selection were usually not at all that rare. They were either underpriced or overly effective because of engine limitations, usually both.

CMBB's rarity won't change that one bit, except by accident when an underpriced/overeffective unit is also rare.

Having said that, I only play with variable rarity, because it is just a great feature.

[ October 07, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

I guess you live and learn when it comes to playing TCPIP or PBEM. What you have to do is find decent opponents (there are alot out there), and most of them subscribe to this forum. I only started playing live games about eight months ago, and so far I have dealt with nothing but gentlemen (or ladies I dont know). I am in a tournament where two opponents bailed on me, but one of them was kind enough to give em a warning. The opponent finder on this forum provides quality good natured and fair minded oppponents in my experience. Plus you can visit the Cesspool, and if your English is proper enough, you might get another opponent or two.

Originally posted by StellarRat:

My only gripe about the games I've played against humans is that a lot of people just quit when they are losing without telling you or quit when you lose connection (if they are behind) instead of trying to reconnect. I have a lousy phone line and I warn people about that, but in almost every game I've played where I was ahead if I lost connection the other player made no attempt to re-contact me to finish the game.

Me too. In the short time I play TCP CMBB now I have been Alt-A'ed so often (with the new CMBB crowd, it rarely happend with the CMBO tournamenthouse gang) that I will require that the person places his password with a neutral party or so, so that I can at least review the battlefield when the bastard drops out.

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by StellarRat:

Me too. In the short time I play TCP CMBB now I have been Alt-A'ed so often (with the new CMBB crowd, it rarely happend with the CMBO tournamenthouse gang) that I will require that the person places his password with a neutral party or so, so that I can at least review the battlefield when the bastard drops out.</font>

Chad, you still have to knock out my legions! smile.gif

Anyway, I agree with all said above, and wait to see what practices will develop. For the time being I'll play only with honorable gents like you guys.

If somebody is for a duel with me I still have room left. Bring the on!

Ask Chad: I never quit a match even when I am trashed smile.gif