What If?

I had a game on Playstation called Panzer Front. You could simulate a battle with two modern tanks(american Abrahms and T-80) against any tank of WWII. I made a lot of tests(actually it was fun) I took T-80 against 12 King Tigers. They were easy pray, so I stopped shooting and waited if they can penetrate my armor. Obviously they couldn't do that, even from the rear.

So a platoon of modern tanks properly protected would win any war at that time.

What if....

senting a couple of Hannibal's Eliphants into the Battle of the Bulge supporting the Axis Tigers??

engaging a single F16 against the Red Baron?

attacking the Spanish Armada in 1588 with the Bismark?

Giving a Kalashnikov to Goliath against David?

??????

I read a fun scifi story once about a guy with a superjet prototype from 2010 going back in time to WWI. He manages to land at an Allied Aerodrome and is very cocky about winning the war for them. The fun starts when his IR missiles can't lock onto the German biplanes, his high tech radar can't detect them, and his specialized fuel is unavailable. Fun story.

-dale

Is a modern tank company somehow immune to roadblocks, water obstacles, molotov cocktails, magnetic mines, anti-tank mines, flamethrowers or aerial bombs?

Are modern tank crews somehow immune to the effects of shock, fatigue, psychological warfare, or poison gas?

Can modern tanks operate somehow without fuel, ammunition, oil, food or water for the crew?

If the Germans could beat Matilda in 1940, KV in 1941, or if the Allies could beat King Tiger in 1944...why should we believe that M-1 or T-80 would pose any more of an insuperable threat?

[ December 23, 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Modern tanks wouldn't bog all that much.

The Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 both have ground pressures that are close to that of the Panther A (8.83, 8.14 and 8.8 N/sqcm respectively).

And what modern tank carries 100+mm of armor on the rear? The KT should be perfectly able to take out any modern tank from the rear.

Depends on the setting I suppose. If it were in the desert or the Steepes of Russia. Complete turkey shoot. If it was at night. Turkey shoot for the modern tanks.

I was going to say it would be a closer match in a Wester Europe scene at day. But then remembered the M1s are probably more manueverable than the KTs. I would think a Panther with an upgraded gun could be interesting. Or one of the next revisions of the Panthers or E series tanks.

LW

Originally posted by dalem:

I read a fun scifi story once about a guy with a superjet prototype from 2010 going back in time to WWI. He manages to land at an Allied Aerodrome and is very cocky about winning the war for them. The fun starts when his IR missiles can't lock onto the German biplanes, his high tech radar can't detect them, and his specialized fuel is unavailable. Fun story.

-dale

Sounds like " A hawk among sparrows ", neat story. Cant remember the author, though ...

Look at Desert Storm I, the M1A1 vs the T-72. The 72's were outranged so badly that they never saw or knew that they were being targeted by the M1A1. Of course, this was in wide open country, the bocage of France might be a different story.

"Is a modern tank company somehow immune to roadblocks, water obstacles, molotov cocktails, magnetic mines, anti-tank mines, flamethrowers or aerial bombs?"

I guess they are to quit an extend yes. Even against at mines they have all kind of nifthy defenses and heavy down armour, and some really fancy suspension/tracks system...

Are modern tank crews somehow immune to the effects of shock, fatigue, psychological warfare, or poison gas?

Modern tanks are completly sealed of Poison gas indeed. And having a modern tank in a WW2 scenario..not one but a battalion...I guess the moral would be pretty high.

Can modern tanks operate somehow without fuel, ammunition, oil, food or water for the crew?

Nop but i guess the water and the food consumed by modern crew would be the same as the WW2 crew:) on the fuel and Ammo: once out of both they would become useless indeed... so winning the complete war would be unrealsitic (is this discusion in anyway realistic one might think smile.gif ). Imho however destroying 1 or 2 panzer divisions with a single tank battalion would be possible in the Normandy campaign. The Armour of modern tanks a unpenetrable for the WW2 tanks, the speed is enormous compared, and the hit rate would be very high. One shot-one kill.

If the Germans could beat Matilda in 1940, KV in 1941, or if the Allies could beat King Tiger in 1944...why should we believe that M-1 or T-80 would pose any more of an insuperable threat?

See the above. The King tiger was tough heavy armoured slow a turttle and same for the turret. The gun wa heavy but not heavy enough for the modern armour and even if so...on great distances despite the very good German optics I don't think it could kill an M1 before the M1 would kill the Tiger tank. The M1 could run 30 miles through open ground from 1 miles distance moving left right left etcect... I don't think the Tiger would get a kill on the M1. During this evading manouvering the M1 with it's modern gun/modern ammo/ and most of all modern optics/tracking system could shoot the king tiger while moving fast and unpredictable with 1 shot.

gr

Screeny

(The red Baron in his Shopwith camel would have a change a regular spitfire opponent... the differece in technology advance is just too big. You can overcome some years of technology advance by numbers or tactics but 50 years of technology adavnce no way. But I must admit. Without ammo and fuel supply and technical complete support a M1 battalion would definately would NOT win the war..as said just a single battle untill the fuel and ammo are gone)

Originally posted by Screeny:

[QB Without ammo and fuel supply and technical complete support a M1 battalion would definately would NOT win the war..as said just a single battle untill the fuel and ammo are gone)[/QB]

Yeah, but think if you had use them once in strategic way: help to capture Moscow, crush best tank force of the enemy or battle of Kursk, or invasion of Britain and London is captured in couple hours. It's the same like americans used atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki- Japan surrendered. :rolleyes:

This thread reminds me of an old "Twilight Zone" episode I saw in the 60's where a M3 "Stuart" tank gets lost during manuvers near the Little Big Horn Battlefield, and when the tank nears the battlefield they hear the sounds of the indians attacking Custer as they near a hill. Then they close the hatches and head into the battle. It didn't actually show the tank attacking the indians.....but when a search and rescue team get to the Custer Battlefield they see the men who are missing listed on the monument as those killed at "Custers Last Stand"! I was about 12 when i saw this episode, and thought......Dang! that tank would have really kicked some cool butt against those indians!

[ December 23, 2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]