CMBB Pre-Orders?

Just read the press release!!!

WOO-HOO!

The one-and-only thing that will ever get me to boot back into MacOS 9: CMBB.

BUT - Where can I pre-order it? Battlefront - you guys going to accept pre-orders? Please say yes! smile.gif

I still remember how quick CMBO on Mac sold-out. I'd really love to get in on the 1st printing!

[ July 15, 2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: karsten ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So what exactly is a pre-order, and why can't I see any press release talking about it at the BFC site?

It's a way for all these CM junkies to issue commands to their CMBB troops before they've even bought the game.

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So what exactly is a pre-order, and why can't I see any press release talking about it at the BFC site?

It's a way for all these CM junkies to issue commands to their CMBB troops before they've even bought the game.</font>

I misread the original post - I thought there was some press release about pre-orders (whatever the hell those are).

Is someone going to enlighten me or not. What exactly is a "pre-order" and what advantages/dis-advantages does it have. Credit card charged? Earlier shipping?

Or should I bother asking? I didn't give a rat's ass about CMBO until a year or so after release so I can't really speak from experience on this one.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Is someone going to enlighten me or not. What exactly is a "pre-order" and what advantages/dis-advantages does it have. Credit card charged? Earlier shipping?

Sorry, I'm a habitual thread hijacker from way back.

Pre-order is exactly what you think it is. You pay up, and you get your copy eventually. I suppose it's a way of not having to wait those extra few days for your card to clear once the flood of orders begins.

Quite a lot of people pre-ordered CMBO. If I remember correctly (and wouldn't that be a feat?) BTC/BTS/KFC/etc ran out of CD's before they filled all the pre-orders. Or was that Celine Dion?

I personally don't see the attraction, as it doesn't guarantee you a copy any sooner than the release date anyway, although I guess it lets the hardcore into line early. Yeah, it's kind of like those smelly, hairy dudes who camped out for Star Wars tickets for 26 days before the movie was released... you know, the ones who know WAY too much about how everybody is related in the Star Wars trilogy... or is it a pentilogy? What kind of logy is it?

Bah. I clearly need a coffee infusion. But at least now you know.

Sort of.

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

Pre-order is exactly what you think it is. You pay up, and you get your copy eventually. I suppose it's a way of not having to wait those extra few days for your card to clear once the flood of orders begins.

BTS did not actually charge credit cards before they delivered, which was part of what caused the problem. Quite a few people had apparently changed credit cards between putting in their pre-order and the actual release, making it all very messy for BTS.

The pre-order for CMBO was a good way for BTS to gauge market interest, and to get their bankers off their backs (if that was necessary), because they could point to a guaranteed minimum future income stream. So it had clear benefits for them. There is no need to this now unless it is really easy to do, since they know there is a market.

Matt - no word from you?

I still remember all the poor people from CMBO that had to wait and wait for the next run of CD's - they were the ones that signed up later on during the pre-order timeframe.

Considering the BF is not exactly a large company and CMBO wasn't on store shelves - early sign-up for a copy had a copy of CMBO on my doorstep that was still warm from the CD Burner!

My personal opinion is CMBB will be an even bigger seller than CMBO was. I just want make sure that when they process that original ship list, my name is on it!!

If the two week thingy is true - what about a pre-pre-order? Kind of a sign-up list to be the first to be able to make a pre-order... :D

Originally posted by karsten:

Matt - no word from you?

I still remember all the poor people from CMBO that had to wait and wait for the next run of CD's - they were the ones that signed up later on during the pre-order timeframe.

Considering the BF is not exactly a large company and CMBO wasn't on store shelves - early sign-up for a copy had a copy of CMBO on my doorstep that was still warm from the CD Burner!

My personal opinion is CMBB will be an even bigger seller than CMBO was. I just want make sure that when they process that original ship list, my name is on it!!

If the two week thingy is true - what about a pre-pre-order? Kind of a sign-up list to be the first to be able to make a pre-order... :D

"Wrist band policy now in effect"

I don't know about you but around here when hot concert tickets are announced you have run out to the box office to get a wrist band attached to your wrist right away (and leave it there), you are then eligible to line up (que) at the box office, before the tickets go on sale, to get the opportunity to buy the tickets at the box office .

When and where can I get my CMBB wrist band?

smile.gif

-tom w

[ July 16, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Ah - the wrist band idea :(

Only problem here is the wristbands are handed out randomly... Or, worse still - everyone gets a wristband, but they are different colors; then they call out certain colors get to go first (so the last guy there could be the first to get tickets. Not exactly fair. :mad:

Anyway - back to the original question:

Aside from the "I heard from so-and-so" or whatever, is there anything official from BF regarding pre-orders? :confused: or are they just taunting us with their last press release?? :rolleyes:

BTW: They do know that they can do an open to buy on the credit card? - it doesn't actually charge the card, but "holds" the money and reduces the available balance. All they have to do when they are ready to ship is a batch upload to complete the transactions and *poof* -tons 'o ching in their bank account. Someone's transaction doesn't close, just don't ship to 'em! :cool:

[ July 19, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: karsten ]