Moving Infantry Tedious

Against the AI, yes. In fact all the infantry-clicking gets on my nerves.

Especially getting artillery spotters into a place where they have good LOS but don't get detected while doing so. Select stealth HQ, move HQ to spotter. Run them while in cover, then move, then sneak, then crawl, then hide, then pull out HQ. Then detect that all is in vain and start over.

I'd like really like to tell the stealth HQ "would you please bring the spotters to that points?".

Stealth,

I love CM. However, moving each unit (inf & vehicles) precisely and carefully (both of which are necessary) is tedious & a pain. :(

Realize that in CM, the AI is as dumb as a box of rocks. In movement, the only really good thing that the AI does is for undergunned &/or underarmored vehicles to flee when they are threatened with destruction by something that they cannot kill. :eek: :eek:

Against real humans, if you want to survive & win in CM, you must place each unit carefully. tongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard :cool: :cool:

It would be great if you could do group moves using waypoints, not just the one move. Also, if you add a group waypoint to units that already have movement orders...ther group order overrides it and causes a command delay.

Another treat would be if you could add an "embark" waypoint to existing orders. as it is now, it cancels the previous orders and causes a command delay as well.

perhaps in CMBB? i don't recall off-hand of hearing of the above 2 updates.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stealth:

Has anyone else found that moving infantry becomes tedious? I try to find good cover for each unit. Does anyone just set them going in a general direction and hope for the best?

<hr></blockquote>

I know what you mean, but let's face it. We've got it easy compared to Advanced Squad Leader, which is the only other game at this depth and scale. For a large scenario, it may take you 30 minutes to carefully move all your squads in CM but it would take 4 times longer to move them in ASL - and it would be a bigger pain in the ass. You'd have to remove unit markers to check LOS, trace the exact route that each squad would take so that your opponent would know, keep track of which units have moved, which have fired, etc, etc...

That's a Major Pain.

I'll just stick to CM where all I really have to worry about is clicking a few waypoints for each squad.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pak40:

I'll just stick to CM where all I really have to worry about is clicking a few waypoints for each squad.<hr></blockquote>

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but what is and/or what will be CMs closest competition ?

Is there anything else in the works ?

It is better for endusers if there is healthy rivalry and competition so the best product is produced.

I found moving all of my units was evenMORE tedious before I discovered that right clicking the mouse continues the waypoint command (even works with the withdrawal function).

Before that it was key press left click, key press left click..Doh! :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Trail Blazer:

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but what is and/or what will be CMs closest competition ?

<hr></blockquote>

You didn't say what you liked about CMBO.

For the things I like about CMBO, I like Tacops very much, also available at Battlefront. True multiplayer soon (several players each side).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

It is better for endusers if there is healthy rivalry and competition so the best product is produced.<hr></blockquote>

There is no fair rivality in the US (and therefore whole world) game industry. CMBO is one kick-ass attempt that happend to have enough drive to become a successful business accident.

I don't

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Trail Blazer:

It is better for endusers if there is healthy rivalry and competition so the best product is produced.<hr></blockquote>

As of right now, there is no competition. The only games that come close are Close Combat and Steel Panthers, but they are both 2D games and of different scale. Steel Panthers is probably the closest because you can make your own maps/scenarios and can easily have batallion sized forces - but is is purely a hex/turn based engine. It's really too different to compare.

As far as games in the works, GI Combat will be a 3D engine with company+ size forces. But it will be continuous time rather than the wego system that CM offers. Screenshots look promising.

I don't really view CM and GI Combat as competititors. I think that as long as both games are designed well and play well, they will both sell well. It's so hard to find a quality wargame these days that I think all wargamers will probably buy both games, so long as both get good reviews. GI Combat will have an advantage because it will be on retail shelves, exposing it to the mass market, not just wargamers.

I'm really hoping both games feed off of each other's success. I hope the GI Combat crowd will hear how good CM is and give it a try, and vica versa. This is usually the case in a niche market like wargaming. Word of mouth is powerful advertising tool. I never would have heard of CM if it didn't hang around the Close Combat forums 3 years ago.

While not nearly as accurate as CM, Sudden Strike is a neat little fun game that allows you to mod parameters of units to a better historical feel IIRC.

Sudden Strike isn't a "serious" game IMO. Tedium is there in spades as well but it can be a "fun" game. The graphics are neat as well.

I hear Sudden Strike 2 is making some strides in the realism department. Will be interesting.

I think it is best to put CM as the successor to Steel Panthers, while GI Combat is a successor to Close Combat. Steel panthers was much better for simulating a Bn sized engagement, while Close Combat really did shine as an fireteam-level infantry simulator.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lah:

Another time saver for plotting movement is clicking on a waypoint then pressing the spacebar to change it.<hr></blockquote>

For MAC all you have to do after to change a waypoint is clicking it then pressing the M(ove) or R(un). No need to bring up the movement menu.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

For MAC all you have to do after to change a waypoint is clicking it then pressing the M(ove) or R(un). No need to bring up the movement menu.<hr></blockquote>

Its the same w/ PCs.

For tophat/lowski orders, I like to hit H, plot the hunt order & then right-click, then hit R to switch from Hunt to Reverse, then right-click and hit H, etc. You can change the moveable orders line while scrolling the mouse around to place it.