Invitational Tourney [Part II]

Time for a battle update.

I sent thousands of rounds into Ben's MG and squad? in the area I'd heavily mortared. With pinning fires in full cry and my assault force

split into teams I went charging round the slope--into the teeth of a squad eating ambush. My effort to kill his M-10 TC buttoned the beast, but cost me the shooter. Grr.

I enjoyed far greater success by putting to flight an MG behind his big hill on the right.

Since no good deed goes unpunished, my fire base on the right was mortared. I did manage to extricate the survivors from the jaws of the ambush.

My revenge was sweet, though, for while Ben battled to hold off my inexorable general advance on the left, I slipped in and seized

his VL. I own both now! This endeavor was helped by some smoke I fired and by catching one of his units on the hop while it was scurrying over to repel my attack on the left.

The M-10 and friends are attempting to kill one of my vehicles, but I sent another one forward to a really nasty new position. The advance continues!

Regards,

John Kettler

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TexasToast: We are almost at end, the result is not quite clear but it seems that he is going to win.

Dorosh: I destroyed one of his M10s by infantry unit! I like these German troops even more... Panzerfaust is nice to have. I also tried to kill two other M10s, but they managed to escape, for now. The other one is still in danger.

I control now one small flag on the left, his few remaining units are fleeing. The other small flag on the right is where his one M10 is, I have a lot of untouched infantry there. My morale is about 87%.

The fight in the middle is the most interesting. I have killed most of his green infantry there, but he has 3-4 green halftracks and 2 M10s. The match is close to the end. Do I get the big flags or not?

Mick is bombing and attacking, not looking good.

The last turn against Ben was way too exciting for my tastes, the result of suddenly encountering a platoon or more head-on advancing on my far left when I leapfrogged forward myself. All of this was complicated by fires from his center after swamping surviving elements from my earlier assault. Casualties were heavy.

Even more exciting was my version of "The Beast." This one featured American infantry suddenly debouching from behind my Stu, scurrying after my Stu beastie, taking fire from my guys on the rear hill, and the object of intended destruction as well, which was merely advancing to enfilade on the right.

What I find really ironic about this is that he's complaining about my marauding armor when he himself initiated the armored rear area raids. Mine was in well chosen positions way back in my setup zone for most of the game.

I've got multiple plans in motion to handle certain tactical situations and to generate new ones to further discomfit Ben's troops.

Quite a battle!

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, the war against MickOZ has been over for a while already. He was supposed to have reported the scores.

I lost handily. I was thrown out of the middle woods and even lost a smaller flag I had secured earlier.

Once again I was overarmoring and underinfantring myself. Result being I just didn't have enough to win. But it was also a skillful fighting from Mick. He layed back in defense for a good while, bombing the general battle area with artillery (harming both of us in equal measure, I believe). Then, when both of us were tired, he brought out the second half of his infantry...

The skirmish with Shandorf is well underway. We have a deep valley with lots of buildings and flags. Both started with a trusty old 300 meter dash. Now we're in the little village called Stalingrad.

There's 3 tanks peeking from behind the far hills, one in the middle and one in each corners. The fire from them is troubling me some. My scouts swear the tanks are: Panther, Tiger and a Panzer IV. Could be anything. I'll wait to make sure before opening up with the 1000 pounders.

Rats, now Shandorf knows he should pull them back and never bring them forward again.. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jarmo:

He layed back in defense for a good while, bombing the general battle area with artillery (harming both of us in equal measure, I believe).

--

Actually, most of my arty landed well in advance of my positions.. I hung back on front edge of woods in early stages. I only lost a few people to friendly arty. But Jarmo's tanks were a real threat.. even though I was keeping to reverse slopes. Luckily, my AT teams managed to pot all four, plus his green Hotchkiss. That cleared the path for my crack/vet paras to clean up the rest of his green stuurmtroopen. It was a bitter, close-in fight for most of the battle!

On another front, I fear my fight against Fuerte is looking grim. Despite a hard arty pounding of the woods across the fords.. my attackers have run into stiff British fire, supported by that infernal Churchill. This could be bad indeed. I still have assets, however. Did I mention that I hate bridge/ford battles? LOL.

You guys have been doing a great job of beating up on each other so I could bubble up towards the top. Unfortunately, it appears to be my turn to slip back into the pack. Fuerte and I are about to wrap up, and I'm thinking (hoping?) it's a draw. It will be low scoring either way. On the other hand, Ari is beating the crap out of me. My night/fog/city skills are apparently a bit lacking.

TT

Small update:

TexasToast: It is drawish, but you have the edge.

Dorosh: I killed one M10 with King Tiger (back shot because it was retreating from my infantry!) and the other one with infantry (which was a bit of a surprise to me). He now has only one M10, and 3-4 green halftracks, plus some remaining panicking green infantry units.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

The skirmish with Shandorf is well underway. We have a deep valley with lots of buildings and flags. Both started with a trusty old 300 meter dash. Now we're in the little village called Stalingrad.

There's 3 tanks peeking from behind the far hills, one in the middle and one in each corners. The fire from them is troubling me some. My scouts swear the tanks are: Panther, Tiger and a Panzer IV. Could be anything. I'll wait to make sure before opening up with the 1000 pounders.

Rats, now Shandorf knows he should pull them back and never bring them forward again.. :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fire away, Jarmo. I will humor you. ;)

BTW my battle with CDIC is going pretty well. I have mangled several platoons and I have almost turn the flank on him. He has managed to beat up 2 platoons of mine with arty but I have many more were they came from. ;)

Jeff

LOLOLOL

Sgt Tron is a God!

The only man left in a French infantry squad, 4 metres away from an 8 man squad of Fuerte's supermen, and you can hear the fists flying - and next thing you know, the 8 men are turning tail and running!

This game is Fuerte's, but it will be a matter of hopefully getting at least 2 or 3 points out of it. As it stands, with Berli's withdrawal (and his 99-1 loss) I may well become the lowest scorer.

Dorosh: I won 93-7. I destroyed the remaining M10 with hand granade (so 3 was killed by infantry and 1 by KT). I moved my two King Tigers to the battle front, and one of them killed one halftrack, and the other one was shocked by a halftrack. He had 2 halftracks alive. Then the French surrendered in the last turn.

Besides having two KTs, I also sneaked on both map edges. But I don't think that it was gamey, because there was a nice forest on both edges and it was the only way to approach the small flag areas without being seen.

The incident with that one green French soldier and 8 of my regular ones was a bit funny, but I ordered those guys back, because I thought that they would kill that guy in 8 seconds.

All in all, this battle was the most unusual I have ever played. Hordes and hordes of green infantry and halftracks... and four M10s that didn't fire even once at my KTs. My global morale was 85% in the end.

TexasToast: We are in the last turn...

Mick: This battle is also very bloody. He has some crack infantry units, I have destroyed at least two squads of them. I am now dropping arty over his attacking units.

Kettler and Galanti: I have challenged you both a week or two ago... so please e-mail me back when you are ready.

Fuerte, that's what I call a convincing win. Sadly, my knowledge of wins in the Invitational thus far is theoretical, not experiential. Things are looking pretty good

versus Ben Galanti, considering I hold both VLs solidly. The problem is that he has lots of infantry still, together with an M-10 rooting about in my rear.

I did receive your challenge, but am presently in four games: vs. Ben in the Invitational, and vs. CDIC (replacing Stix), Kingfish and Tom in Section II of Rumblings. Between clangorous remodeling noise, noxious fumes and an article deadline, I'm pretty well occupied at present. I'll be happy to fight you when I have an opening available. My current priority is Rumblings, because of the shorter time allotment given.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thats a great win Fuerte - an impressive score.

Jeffrey Shandorf(I promised not to call him Waldorf anymore) is displaying the best use of British infantry i have ever faced - He has crippled my attack, pinned my men and ambushed my forward lines. I fear a major defeat coming my way and we are not yet half way through!

Action with Ben Galanti and Ari is slowing down, but we should be in for more action soon.

CDIC

TexasToast: Oh yes, another win for me, now 44-28! Axis minor victory. This was the second time I play with Axis, and the second win. Ãœbermenschen! You had more more flags in the middle, but you also had a lot more casualties. Good game, and thanks.

Mick: One attack wave has been pushed back, only one 2 man HQ unit still on my side of the river. Now he attacks with the assault gun and other infantry units.

Kettler and Galanti: Mail me...

This is the breakdown of German wins for this tourney so far -

Ari - both of his games were won by the Germans

Ben Galanti - his only game was won by the Germans

CDIC - 4 of his 5 games were won by the Germans

Fionn - 4 of his 4 games were won by the Germans

Fuerte - all 6 of his games were won by the Germans

Jarmo - only 2 of his 5 games were won by the Germans

John Kettler - 3 of his 4 games were won by the Germans

Jshandorf - 4 of his 6 games were won by the Germans

Michael Dorosh - 2 of 4 games won by the Germans

MickOZ - 2 of 5 games won by the Germans

Texas Toast - 2 of 6 games won by the Germans

That gives 2/3 of games being won by the German side.

Here's MickOZ taunting me. I thought it was good enough to post. He's the Germans.

"Your shoddy tanks, your ill-led men..

Our steel trap will draw them in...

Chew your gum and eat your spam..

The Siegfried Line will expose the sham..

You who invade our German home,

never fear, you will atone..

You mock our beer and our big brass bands..

but horizontal you shall leave these lands!"

He's just received a devastating movie too. I think he wrote this before he saw it. LOL!!

Treeburst155 out.

We've got some big news from the front! Ari Maenpaa has managed a huge victory over Texas Toast, 82-18. Ari was the Germans. Congratulations, Ari! This puts Ari's average at 74.33, right up there with Fionn's 77.25!! OK Fionn, time to come out of hiding and take on the mighty Ari Maenpaa!! The standings have been updated.

Treeburst155 out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

We've got some big news from the front! Ari Maenpaa has managed a huge victory over Texas Toast, 82-18. Ari was the Germans. Congratulations, Ari! This puts Ari's average at 74.33, right up there with Fionn's 77.25!! OK Fionn, time to come out of hiding and take on the mighty Ari Maenpaa!! The standings have been updated.

Treeburst155 out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn him. I knew he was pure concentrated evil.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

Damn him. I knew he was pure concentrated evil.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very sorry to break down your cardcastle, Jeff, but you lost to an ordinary, but sometimes quite lucky guy :D

My earlier CM career doesn't include hundreds of won PBEM battles, so every match is a new challenge to me and I try to prepare carefully for all of them.

Better lucky than good smile.gif

Anyway, my most sincere thanks for all the players I have come upon to this date in the tournament. You have all played well and fair. It has been pleasure to participate. Let's try to finish the thing without any more drop outs.

regards,

Manpie (aka Ari)