Hey BTS, what about the price of CM?

I have a friend (who is a neighbor) that loves wargaming as much as me. For some weird reason, I have never introduced him to CM. A few months ago, he was diagnosed with a medical problem. This has left him at home with a lot of time on his hands do to taking time off of work.

I decided that it would be an excellent gift to buy him a copy of CMBO. With all the spare time he has right now, what better way to pass the time than with CM! And his birthday is in March anyway!!

Here is my beef. I plan on buying him the gift one way or the other, but I was wondering if you fellows at BTS had any plans of reducing the price on CMBO with CMBB just around the corner. I figured that CMBO would have dropped to a $29.99 price tag by now. Like I said, I'm going to buy it one way or the other, but I cringe slightly at dropping another $50 on CM after I've done it twice already (My daughter destroyed my first copy of CM)

So are there any plans to drop the purchase price of CMBO? :confused:

[ February 28, 2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

I was just thinking the same thing, but more about CMBB. You know, I've been seeing the doctor for some time now and things haven't gotten any better. They have prescribed some medicine for me, but insist that there are no real guarantees. They've told me that medical science is not an exact science and while my treatment continues I'm afraid my condition continues to worsen. Most of my finances are now contributed towards my doctor bills, and with the recent introduction of shock therapy it appears my income will gradually but surely decline. I was sort of hoping to get a discount which I'm sure Steve could take off his taxes next year, or whatever year CMBB is actually released. It would be a worthy charitable cause, and my treatments will likely not result in any real loss of neural motor control for many more sessions, although my ability to remember my opponents names may be hampered. A donation of CMBB would, according to my therapist, be very beneficial in reducing the stress syndrome which lead to the charges, but my lawyer said not to worry about those. He says I can continue to play CM in the State hospital. I was thinking maybe a free copy wouldn't be out of the question.

[ February 27, 2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Vader - not to diminish the suffering your friend is going through, or your desire to do a good deed, but you have to realize that your use of that story, coupled with a request for a price break - well, it just seems...ingenuine. No offence meant, but I suspect some other bewilderingly insensitive responses to your post may very well be on the way, so you may as well at least know where they are coming from.

50 dollars - Canadian or US - does happen to represent a lot of money to some of us on the board; it may do us all well to remember the diversity of the audience here - including students, shut-ins and others not as fortunate as some of the other posters. I certainly wouldn't dare tell someone how much "a lot" of money is without actually knowing them.

Was my point. No offense intended, and certainly anyone with a serious illness has my condolences and my sympathy however I would say however unfortunate it may seem, if BTS were to provide price reductions for everyone with a sad story, no matter how sad, (and my point being once undertaken, then assuredly "everyone" would have a sad story), then they would probably not be in business for long. Take pride in the fact that you think enough of your friend to provide them with what might be a highlight of their life. And tell your daughter to leave your CD's alone. smile.gif

[ February 27, 2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Bruno,

That was pretty funny. Even my friend would get a laugh over it. smile.gif

Michael,

I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to get a discount with a sympathy story. I thought about that when I first posted this, and your feedback confirms my suspisions on how my post "appeared" to sound. I reworded it so it would sound a little better. I was trying to point out that my friend was sick and had a lot of time to do nothing. No offence was taken with your observations. ;)

I do know that BTS is a small company. However, I just thought that sales MIGHT be slower than in the old days. That, combind with the fact that CMBB is due out pretty soon made me wonder if I should ask about when a price drop was to occour (if at all) so I could time my order accordingly.

And remember the safe in Die Hard with the six insane locks? I'm building one along with the huge vault door from Tron to keep my CM safe from the girls! tongue.gif

[ February 28, 2002, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Well, if 5 dollars gets me a newbie to pound the salt of by email, that would make it worthwhile. Post an address for us to send money to - with the understanding that anyone who contributes gets at least one PBEM from your friend - and we just might be in business (!)

Thanks for the offer guys. I don't mind footing the bill, I was just trying to be thrifty. After I intro him to the game and throw a couple of tcp/ip's with him, I'll send him your way.

That's a promice. ;)

[ February 28, 2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Unfortunately capitalism comes a priority over humanity in todays society.

It's true, if one person gets a discount, then the whole coop is a mess.

You guys are complaining over $50 US dollars. I paid over $110 Australian for my copy of CM, due to damn dollar exchjange rates. U.S. get the value of your dollar down to encourage exports!!!!!

:mad:

The whole "discounting" thing is something which is the result of the negative side of the software industry. The only way to keep an "old" product in the pipeline is to dramatically reduce its price. The crappier the product, the sooner the cut has to be made. But even the best, AAA title sees a price cut within a year or so. Doesn't matter that the quality of the product hasn't dropped.

For the time being CMBO will remain at $45 USD. It is likely that we will do something with the pricing with CMBB comes out, but not before then. In our minds the game is worth just as much today as it was the day it was released.

Of course, we could have done pricing like some other small wargame companies. And that is to start the price out at $50-$80 and keep it there for 4 years or more smile.gif

Steve

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by citizen:

A month after CMBBs release, bundle CMBO and CMBB for $75!

What newbie could resist and what old-timer wouldn't pick up a 2nd copy of CMBO for a friend?

More like, "what old-timer wouldn't buy it just to have both games on one CD - so that their CDROM drive would never have to open again" :D

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I was just thinking the same thing, but more about CMBB. You know, I've been seeing the doctor for some time now and things haven't gotten any better. They have prescribed some medicine for me, but insist that there are no real guarantees. They've told me that medical science is not an exact science and while my treatment continues I'm afraid my condition continues to worsen. Most of my finances are now contributed towards my doctor bills, and with the recent introduction of shock therapy it appears my income will gradually but surely decline. I was sort of hoping to get a discount which I'm sure Steve could take off his taxes next year, or whatever year CMBB is actually released. It would be a worthy charitable cause, and my treatments will likely not result in any real loss of neural motor control for many more sessions, although my ability to remember my opponents names may be hampered. A donation of CMBB would, according to my therapist, be very beneficial in reducing the stress syndrome which lead to the charges, but my lawyer said not to worry about those. He says I can continue to play CM in the State hospital. I was thinking maybe a free copy wouldn't be out of the question.

Gee, Bruno, you forgot the violin music. If it hadn't been for that, I would have probably really felt your pain. Tough, huh?

:(

Michael :rolleyes:

Well they said the victim never knew what hit em, or at least didn't suffer long. Mahaha

Thanks Vader, I wasn't trying to be snide, well maybe a little, but I wasn't trying to be mean about yer friend anyways. Now that you splained it I get the picture. Sorry to hear aboot (translated for Canadians and Scootmens), his condition. CM would be a wonderful gift, and I'd a thrown in with Michael Dorosh. I recently turned a friend on to CM, and he caught the addiction first day. It was better than when I was a youngin and turning friends on. {Here chump, schmoke dis}. :D Ah, youth is lost so quickly.

Anyway, you get the guy hooked up then and we'll at least, give him plenty of opponents. Hope the guy gets better.

[ February 28, 2002, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Like I said, I'm going to buy it one way or the other, but I cringe slightly at dropping another $50 on CM after I've done it twice already (My daughter destroyed my first copy of CM)

So are there any plans to drop the purchase price of CMBO? :confused:

VJ: you already own 2 licenses, but only have one set of media. But you could copy the media and give him a licensed copy without buying a new one.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

VJ: you already own 2 licenses, but only have one set of media. But you could copy the media and give him a licensed copy without buying a new one.

WWB

Oooh, somebody's thinking today (more than I can claim after a late night of CM). And Vader, the EULA also states you can make a backup copy of the game, in case little Janey decides to see what Daddy's CD-ROM does when you put it in the microwave.

Luxury! When I was young, I played WarBirds and paid $2 an hour! And I had to get up an hour before we went to bed, and we had cold gravel for breakfast.

Now, of course, WarBirds is only $25 a month. smile.gif