Is there any way to copy .bmps off the CD without reinstalling?

With CMBO I could explore the CD and copy the original .bmp and .wavs in case I wanted to undo a mod. Whenever I open the CMBB CD, it looks like the only file I can access is the install one. Is there anyway to only copy the files I want off the CD? I'd hate to have to reinstall the whole game everytime I want to grab a couple .bmps

What works if you have disk space is the obvious, duplicate the original data file and store it either on HD or a CD etc. You haven't yet modified that data file yet? Have you ;) ?

[ September 25, 2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: jd ]

Originally posted by Pak40:

You might be able to install a second version which you can use as the "original" set of .bmps

CMBO let us install more than once, IIRC, since there was nothing written to the registry.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, but I wanted to know if I could just grab the 10 or so bmps I wanted off the cd, and not all of them.

IMO, BTS & BFC put everything on one CD because they wanted to avoid the extra cost of the second CD. That makes sense except when you come to issues like the not-so-good installer that was chosen. (CMBB won't have Registry entries and there won't be an icon in Add/Remove Programs --which means we'll have to manually uninstall it if we ever need to.)

Again, this cost cutting effort seems like a good idea until you run into Capt. Wacky's issues. Unfortunately, it looks like CMBB has become a little less user friendly.

My concern is with sales in the future. They undoubtedly will contain the patches and updates that will be released. I'm sure that BFC will always sell the most up to date product. My question is: Is there any room for them without causing a second CD to be used??? If not, then I wonder why not use two CDs from the very beginning that have the proper installer and what has been publicly stated as being missing from CMBB? (ie. certain vehicle skins/textures)

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

CMBB won't have Registry entries and there won't be an icon in Add/Remove Programs --which means we'll have to manually uninstall it if we ever need to.

Uninstallation is actually very easy. All you have to do is delete the CMBB folder and everything is gone.

On the PC you can download and install WinRAR to extract single files from the CMBB Installer (which is just one big RAR archive).

It may not be as convenient as CMBO, but if you don't have the disk space, etc.

I'm not sure what was used on the Mac versions for compression, some form of Stuffit ?

[ September 25, 2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Schrullenhaft,

WinRAR may be a nice thing, but it costs $29 if we want to use beyond 40 days.

The way that I see it, that will make the overall cost of my CMBB jump to $74.

I already bought WinZip. Why are you forcing us to buy another compression utility? That's just not right, IMO.

And this all looks like it is happening because it wasn't desired to have CMBB on two CDs. With all due respect, that looks like it is backfiring a little, I'm sorry to say.

The choice of installer has also played a significant role in the bad CD issue that quite few people are having. If they had gone to 2-disc release, I could copy around the problem spots on the CD. As it stands, WinRAR seems to look at each and every file, even if you ask it to skip the file during installation start up. If it encounters a problem, there is no option to skip the file. Most modern installs let you skip problem files.