A lone hawk circles while a tumbleweed rolls by...

Hello all. I've been thinking (mind you, this is rarely a good thing) about the "loss of interest" in CMBO lately. Whilst doing so, it occurred to me that the release of BB, and consequently, the loss of interest in BO may be just the thing the game needs.

It may not make much sense to you. In fact, I'm almost positive it doesn't. But the theory is, reinforced by (un)popular counter-culture, when something becomes outdated (i.e retro) it automatically becomes "cool", "hip", and sometimes even "trendy". How else do you explain cool-looking youths wearing Atari t-shirts?

Now, what does this mean for BO? I haven't a clue.

Maybe artsy types sporting goatees and berets will gather 'round coffee shops, discussing poetry and the most effective use of TRPs. Or it could just mean poor slobs like us are SOL. :(

Either way, the more I think about it, the more depressing it becomes. Well, that's all I've been able to come up with so far. Perhaps a stiff drink will help the ol' thought process.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a devotee of MST3K, you are a wise and witty person. But I also think you should cut the medication in half. Your image of whisper-thin men wearing berets and sporting goatees is too frightening for words.

I don't think there is anything to fear. There will always be CMBO and there will always be people who play CMBO simply because they prefer the western front. I may be starting to play PBEMs with the demo, but if I'm just sitting down to do a QB against the AI, I play CMBO.

Boo,

I'm sorry my remark about hipster beatniks has disturbed you so. You're probably right though. In any case, my fragile psyche probably has something to do with my girlfriend slowly trying to poison my mind with various stimulants in an attempt to motivate me into cleaning the basement. She'll not trick me so easily. Little does she know I've been pumping myself full of depressants to counter her attempts...

I think I'll go lie down now.

Originally posted by tiborhead:

I think I'll go with "Hercules and the Captive Women".

Not a bad choice. I was going to suggest "Space Children", but that has Jackie Coogan in disturbing little shorts.

Something no one should have to see.

On the plus side though, it does have an evil Russel Johnson being killed by a glowing bag of space mucus.

Decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tiborhead:

I think I'll go with "Hercules and the Captive Women".

Not a bad choice. I was going to suggest "Space Children", but that has Jackie Coogan in disturbing little shorts.

Something no one should have to see.

On the plus side though, it does have an evil Russel Johnson being killed by a glowing bag of space mucus.

Decisions, decisions...</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Juju:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Debbie Does Dallas.

Michael

Gee, you know, I never actually got to see that one... ;) </font>

Originally posted by WineCape:

Will you gents have room in your General's Club for a newcomer that can bring an old, dusty wine bottle or two? Naturally, MD gets the cork and the rest of us can swig along...

Always room for one more, particularly one we discuss cricket with (de rigeur in all good London clubs). I'm not sure about the South African wine though, I think crusty old generals only drink claret.

I don't believe I've seen that one. Is it a newer one? More specifically, one with Mike? If so, I probably haven't seen it. Try as I might, I just couldn't cope with the loss of Joel.

Now that I've proven myself to be the forum's biggest dork, I shall calmly back away.

I came on the scene after Joel had already left and only saw him by way of repeats (but I saw a lot of those). But yes, "Space Children" is season 9, I believe. After Joel, Frank and Dr. Forrester had left.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I had a fleeting glimpse of one back around the beginning of July, I think. They're very rare, you know.

Michael

What....actual, real life Bren tripods or threads about actual, real life Bren tripods?</font>

BO will survive, even if only as a shrine to the one that started them all. Soon, there will be classic BO tourneys, re-enacting the glory days of computer WWII re-enactment. Children will sit on our knees and listen in wonderment as we spin tales of the good old days. A new generation of tactical gamers will make the solemn trek to our door, to hear how it all started, and to pay homage to those who were wise enough to preserve the heritage of our hobby.

It kind of hits ya right here (Sob!). Now, where was that bottle?

Well... I think there may be a mini surge in CMBO users as some of us noobs get our mitts on the bundle. smile.gif I had been waiting for the price to go down for CMBO, now with CMBB up I get it for 20 bucks and a new game for CMBOs original price... sweet smile.gif

We will be full of it too ... Questions, that is.

Such as ... What kind of mods are available?

I have heard that CM is hard coded, so I am guessing mods are restricted to the time period. What about landscapes? Since we are in 1944, can there be any Italy scenes from the early part of the year?

Other questions will be forthcoming upon receipt of my "package" smile.gif .

See? They are beating a path to our door as we speak!

Mods are available in plenty, but no specific Italian ones that I know of. Several Italian front scenarios available. Very few items in CMBO are hard coded (pistols, projectiles, hands) if you are talking about graphics, but the data for the weapons is not "tinkerable". You could change the Germans to look Italian, but they would still behave like Germans. There was even a mod that changed the German/Allied soldiers to look like Confederate/Union ACW soldiers. Along with the Austin Powers mod, that was one of the oddest.

That's what I was getting at, Bloody. You can re skin them but can't add any new items. If there are some Anzio and Monte Cassino mods, that would be fine with me. smile.gif

That being said, I am figuring that the modders could go hog wild with CMBB. You should have the full range of German vehicles for a North African campaign and if we have lend lease Shermans and Grants all we need are some Russian imposters for

Crusaders, Matildas, et al(T-26s and KV-1s?)