A lone hawk circles while a tumbleweed rolls by...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've been too busy playing my Fellowship of the Newbie second round games to pay much attention to CMBB.

(As well as getting my ass handed to me AGAIN in another PBEM against a tough opponent - Yes, Tony, YOU........... smile.gif .

That's easy. This thread is among several that lament the lack of attention to CMBO due to the release of the CMBB demo. The results are predictable, but there should be some railing against the night that is sure to close in on CMBO.

I will get CMBB, because it will be a good game and I want to support CM in general, but my heart will always belong to the Western theater. I have yet to download the CMBB demo. I will just have to wait for the wheel to turn back to my area of interest.

I do wish that CMBO does not drop totally off the map, and that some of the improvements to CM could be patched over while I wait for the new Western front version. There is always GI Combat, I guess.

When I do get around to ordering CMBB, I am sure that my thoughts will wander back to that first game of "Valley of Trouble" while I traverse the Russian steppes.

[ September 05, 2002, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: BloodyBucket ]

Bloodybucket,

I echo your sentiments. I don't think it's a bad thing that the CMBO section is a bit dormant these days. I too prefer the W.Europe theatre and it's combatants.

Newcomers to the beloved Battlefront.com goodness will still probably get turned on to CMBO, despite it's minor shortcomings compared to CMBB.

The advantage might be that the CMBO board will become more of a club, now that the CMBB board will absorb most of the traditional tomfoolery.

Kind of a stodgy, stuffy, stale cigar smoke kind of club, but there is a place in the world for that sort of thing.

I remember the rift between the Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader set that began as soon as the new game came out. To this day there are those that prefer the original. I suspect that will hold true here as well.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

The advantage might be that the CMBO board will become more of a club, now that the CMBB board will absorb most of the traditional tomfoolery.

Kind of a stodgy, stuffy, stale cigar smoke kind of club, but there is a place in the world for that sort of thing.

Well in that case, do we have your opinion on the rarity of Bren tripods on record? :D

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Personally, I am looking forward to CM3. What with the engine rewrite and getting desert sands under my feet again, it should prove a real winner, at least in my playpen.

It's going to be a long two or three years, though...

Michael

Hear, hear. Who needs T-34s when you can knock out Italian L3s with Rolls Royce ACs smile.gif .

A Bren tripod, yes, I used to have one. Used it to put my brandy decanter on. Got rid of it when some chap with a funny accent went round shouting that it was covered by a CES.

Didn't know what that was, but it sounded rather nasty.

{pauses to check temperature of brandy -still not warm enough}

I'm just waiting for a ruckus to spring up in this new "CMBB" forum. I imagine the chaps there will find some kind of gun mounting to moan about - maybe a Maxim wheeled carrige?

Got one of them too, I put a bit of wood on top and use it as a tea trolley.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

[QB]The advantage might be that the CMBO board will become more of a club, now that the CMBB board will absorb most of the traditional tomfoolery.

QB]

Now this is an idea I like. Kinda like Peng but even more "clickish".

We need a name though...

How about "The Dead Generals Society"?

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I'm just waiting for a ruckus to spring up in this new "CMBB" forum. I imagine the chaps there will find some kind of gun mounting to moan about - maybe a Maxim wheeled carrige?

Got one of them too, I put a bit of wood on top and use it as a tea trolley.

I'm enjoying the German civil war that appears to have erupted over there. Goes well with a nice Havana.

Originally posted by Firefly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Personally, I am looking forward to CM3. What with the engine rewrite and getting desert sands under my feet again, it should prove a real winner, at least in my playpen.

It's going to be a long two or three years, though...

Michael

Hear, hear. Who needs T-34s when you can knock out Italian L3s with Rolls Royce ACs smile.gif .</font>