Turret Bitmaps- are there going to be two images in game

My goal is to start issuing mods with less Russian stars (not that common in the field) and more slogans. Plus, the slogans open up CMMOS possibilities and all sorts of fun ( "Death to the Fascist Occupiers!" )

I just tried an experiment with modding the turret sides to include Russian slogans. I took Tiger's KV-1 mod (thanks Tiger- great work), and tried to add the cyrillic slogan: "Stalin" on the side of the turret.

When I fired up the CMBB demo, the right side had the text displayed correctly, but the left side displayed the text backwards.

So, in the final version is there going to be bitmaps for both sides of the turret, or are the turret bitmaps the same as in CMBO? (Unless of course, the turret has differing details on each side.) Please answer my comrades don't want to be half dyslexic.

By the way, thanks guys for an excellent forthcoming game. I just downloaded it yesterday, and was thoroughly impressed. The CM world has definitely changed- and for the better. (Also, other than a new paint job that T-70 in the bones looks a little familiar...).

In the CMBO mod community I've seen a bit of a split between those that stick with "*08" and "II" markings to keep them reading right for both sides, and those that pick one side to do correctly and let the opposite side reverse-out.

I can't think of a russian slogan that would read the same forward as backwards. What's the Russian equivalent of "MADAM, I'M ADAM"

:D

At least the backward 'R's would come out right on one side, but then they'd be wrong on the other....but then they'd be right or wrong yet right at the same time aaahhhrrrrr

Brain explodes thinking of the conundrum......

What about a picture intead :confused:

Originally posted by Zach:

What about the rear of the turret? I havnt looked at the bitmaps myself, but I do beleive that the rear of the turrets arn't symmetrical. For Instance...

That is a rear view of either an ISU-122 or ISU-152 assualt gun; can't tell because they were the same vehicle with a different gun. Anyway, the sides of the assualt gun are symmetrical- probably the angle in which the screenshot was taken creates the illusion that the sides are not symmetrical. Indeed they are.

On other note- any official word from the BFC uber-guys? I know you are busy (and probably don't have time for such a trival response), but I had just loaded the cyrillic fonts into Corel PhotoPaint8 and was looking forward to painting some slogans....

[ September 04, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Zitadelle ]

We may be missing each other on this point, Im not sure... But anyway, this is what I was thinking of..

tanksmall.jpeg

Just disregard the absurdly high jpg compression. It seems like that area is "unique" to the rear of the turret (or whatever it would be called on the SU) I also recall that one of the IS tanks had a funky hatch at the rear or their turret that could be used similiarly? (Or was it a machine gun?)