Sneak & Crawl: Two different things, dammit!!

This bugs me, because it confuses things.

I always assumed, in cmbo, that 'sneaking' meant walking very stealthily in order to minimise noise; whereas crawling meant hugging the ground to minimise your visibility and maximise concealment. Its very difficult to crawl quietly as you are dragging the whole of your body's frontal surface area (let alone whatever equipment and accoutrements you might have about your person)across the surafce of the ground. disturbing the rubble, leaves, etc that will make a noise.

Why then, in a night scenario, when i want to sneak up on a position do i now only have the option for my troops to fling themselves face down in the mud and drag themselves along disturbing every pice of debris in their path?

Is "advance" the new "sneak"?

Some say it was more of a waltz, but yes essentially the crawl has been replaced by the sneak. Which, as it turns out has been modified into a crawl. I would agree though, that a sneak is a sneak, and a crawl is a crawl and should remain so. It is all so confusing...

Not particularly delighted with that implementation meself. Mainly due to the fast rate at which troops exhaust themselves in sneak/crawl mode. I believe the thinking went, that move-to-contact replaced the sneak. Which is okay IMO, but I have no idea why crawl was renamed sneak.

but move-to-contact become helpless as soon as 1 lone LMG, or whatever unit you don't care of, is in LOS of your troops. then if you want to move to contact carefully (for example in woods, towards known ennemy position), you have no choice but the "move" order.

Could someone give the link to the Kwazydog post on this subject ?

Thanks

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Some say it was more of a waltz, but yes essentially the crawl has been replaced by the sneak. Which, as it turns out has been modified into a crawl. I would agree though, that a sneak is a sneak, and a crawl is a crawl and should remain so. It is all so confusing...

Not particularly delighted with that implementation meself. Mainly due to the fast rate at which troops exhaust themselves in sneak/crawl mode. I believe the thinking went, that move-to-contact replaced the sneak. Which is okay IMO, but I have no idea why crawl was renamed sneak.

Do troops exhaust themselves, or just tire themselves now? I thought tiring troops got more exhausted than tired troops used to get before they became exhausted? Maybe they get weary? Should we try a little tenderness?

In my experiences anyway, they get outright exhausted. MG's being ofcourse, the worst offender. I can run inf type troops like race horses to and fro and only if I run them over 50 meters at a hop do they begin to tire, or become tiring. But let em crawl/sneak, or I guess scrawl/creep, after only a few yards and poof! Outright exhausted?

[ October 30, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

The move command in CMBB is in fact moving the troops so that they are much harder so see than in CMBO.

The basic problem is that CMBB, due to missing SOP settings, needs too many commands. BFC tries to blend speed, behaviour and SOPs all into single commands. Needless to say, oif you have 3 speeds, 3 behaviours and 4 SOPs then you end up with 36 possible commands.

Some had to be removed.

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

Do troops exhaust themselves, or just tire themselves now? I thought tiring troops got more exhausted than tired troops used to get before they became exhausted? Maybe they get weary? Should we try a little tenderness?

CMBO Tired = CMBB Tiring

CMBO Weary = CMBB Tired

All else is the same for Fatigue. So how much has that misunderstanding thrown you off? I remember playing the Demo and thinking, what the heck is "tiring?"