Machineguns in CMBB kick major behind!

I just noticed somefink interesting while playing Yelnia Stare as the Germans. Carefully positioned MG42s with overlapping fields of fire can absolutely massacre incoming troops, and make them panic pretty quick, which is IMO a big difference from CMBO where squads would mostly be supressed or sometimes run, while now they can get mauled pretty quickly...Opinions?

Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

I just noticed somefink interesting while playing Yelnia Stare as the Germans. Carefully positioned MG42s with overlapping fields of fire can absolutely massacre incoming troops, and make them panic pretty quick, which is IMO a big difference from CMBO where squads would mostly be supressed or sometimes run, while now they can get mauled pretty quickly...Opinions?

That is how MGs are supposed to work; just read Paul Carells 'Operation Barbarossa'.

Some well placed HMGs can stop a whole battaillon assault. (The Soviets reacted with sending wave after wave of troops, right into the beaten zone of overlapping fields of HMG fire).

In a static defense situation, a HMG is the Queen of arms.

Fred

You must admit in real life if you were walking across an open field and someone opened-up on you from 200m at a thousand rounds-per-minute it would cause quite a bit of consternation!

I'm thinking of changing my usual 25 turn Quickbattles in CMBO into 35 turn battles for CMBB simply to give me more time to deal with those pesky enemy mgs.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

They won't break as much, but they should certainly die as much as lesser quality troops.

True, but if they don't break at least you can keep them moving towards the objective or firing and then you have a chance to win instead of just being a target.

Maxims on the attack don't seem very behind-kicking to me, but then with extreme FOW it's hard to judge effectiveness against dug-in and cammo'd infantry and HMGs other than watching the sound contact infantry marker dudes duck occasionally. Will Maxims on the defensive do as well as the MG-34 against low quality Germans? How good was the Maxim in real life anyway? I thought they were as reliable as heck but they seem to jam in the tutorial scenario quite a bit.

How much of this apparent boost of MGs in CMBB with respect to CMBO due to the increased tendancy of men to pin under fire and how much to the cover arc command? Any opinions there?

I get the impression MGs (and anyone else for that matter) will not area fire on sound contacts when they've been given the cover arc command. Having to specifically order area fire on a LOS sound contact within the arc is a pain, as it will often go away, or a confirmed target will pop up, and for the rest of the minute the unit fires away dutifully at the designated point. The arc also goes away and you need to reset it after you're through with the area fire. So I'm thinking I'll just avoid area fire almost completely. :(

[ September 05, 2002, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

personally i think area fire is essential for attacking troops, especially soviets. i don't think you could hope to advance with green or conscripts without it. it might not seem at first that you're accomplishing anything other than wasting ammo, but after a few turns of supression, you'll find that advancing is easier. by the way, i love the human wave attack. hurrah!! lol..

p.s. being a southerner, i'd prefer it if they rebel yelled. hurrah is more of a yankee thing. lol...

zukkov, I find it much more effective to just drive those T-34s right up to the German positions and get hard contacts that way. In those years before panzerfausts and panzerschrecks you can actually get away with doing that, though the 37mm PAK becomes a problem due to the close range and general lack of quick response of the overworked T-34 commander (a shocked tank = a KO'd or abandoned tank). But there are folks who have played Yelnia as Russian who have gotten major and totals by leaving their infantry hid in back until their tanks alone have broken the German MLR.

[ September 05, 2002, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

p.s. being a southerner, i'd prefer it if they rebel yelled. hurrah is more of a yankee thing. lol...
I believe the traditional Anglicized spelling of the human wave cry is "Urrah!" with the accent on the first syllable. More like OOH-rah than hur-RAH.

Originally posted by demoss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> p.s. being a southerner, i'd prefer it if they rebel yelled. hurrah is more of a yankee thing. lol...

I believe the traditional Anglicized spelling of the human wave cry is "Urrah!" with the accent on the first syllable. More like OOH-rah than hur-RAH.</font>