CMBB AAR, Quick Battle. First impressions.

Abbott

I was able to play a small-generated quick battle last night and put together a quick AAR for the folks who have not received the game yet. It can be found here

CMBB AAR

CMBB AAR (56k)

First impressions of CMBB:

Steve, Charles and the team nailed it with this one. The maps are beautiful; I really like the added doodads I have seen on many of them. The sound effects and artwork are also superb; the crack of a heavy machine guns firing can almost lift you out of your chair if you are caught by surprise. I also can not say enough about how well done the manual is.

I consider the games CMBO, Jagged Alliance, Doom, X-Com and Avalon Hill’s Cross of Iron to be the all time leaders. Games that have had the most impact on me as far as immersion, freshness and just plain QUALITY fun. I think CMBB may actually replace X-Com as my favorite computer game of all time!

(Please bare with the plainness of the HTML and any typos or grammatical errors it may contain. It is 4:20 am here and I am ready to get some sleep).

[ September 25, 2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Originally posted by Abbott:

I consider the games CMBO, Jagged Alliance, Doom, X-Com and Avalon Hill’s Cross of Iron to be the all time leaders. Games that have had the most impact on me as far as immersion, freshness and just plain QUALITY fun. I think CMBB may actually replace X-Com as my favorite computer game of all time!

[/QB]

hehe what a suprise....doom1/2, jagged alliance1/2, x-com1 are also some of my all time favs.cmbb easily manages to get into this group tho

With CMBO, I don't think I've lost ANY Quick Battle to the AI since...well, since I can remember.

But that changed yesterday with CMBB. I was handed a tactical defeat. Ugh. How embarassing.

Things were going very nicely thank you. I couldn't wait to get my Brumbar into action. I was moving my men up nicely (small town) from building to building. Had smoked a couple of T70s that were foolish enough to show up.

Then the LaGG showwed up. I saw it fly by once and thought, oh hell. The next time by it dropped SOMETHING that destroyed my Brumbar, shocked my flampanzer, and leveled a two story building that I had about 4 sqauds in, and a couple of leader. In essence my entire attack went to hell in one second. Oh, the LaGG came back and then immobilized my PZIV. Thanks a lot.

The remaining T70s and some crappy little armored car wrecked havoc on my squads after I was out of armor. (A gun hit on my Stug ended that) In the end I lost all my armor and basically got my ass kicked.

This ain't your fathers Oldsmobile!

-------

Well, I just lost AGAIN. Jeezus. Played the Finns in a meeting engagement. Had one flame tank, it got toasted. But jeezus, in 1941 the Finns have SQUAT to stop T34s, and KV1s. The AI picked 4 tanks and I think the Cannister rounds elimated 50% of my forces in one area. The rest ran.

Ugh.

[ September 25, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Phoenix ]

Originally posted by Wreck:

Nice work, Abbott. The infantry really is much more realistic in CMBB. Harder to play on attack, but much better.

Hiya Wreck. I agree much tougher. I like the new infantry model very much also. I am looking forward to exploring CMBB. It is going to be a long process there is so much to do and see.

Originally posted by ciks:

Thanks for effort.

You didn't involve your halfies in firefight much, it seemed. Were you afraid of mortar fire?

Actually the 251's fought pretty well. One was shocked fairly quickly from ATR fire (?) I believe, with extreme fog of war it is difficult to tell. Another one bounced several ATR rounds before becoming shocked also. It eventually was knocked out. One made it through unscathed and register 10 infantry kia’s.

What surprised me was how cheap your air support was (75 points for a Henschel 129). That's a huge difference compared to the 300pt+ fighter-bombers in CM:BB.

Another thing - when you go back to redo the page, is there any chance you could reduce the file size of the pics? I had to give up after pic 7, my 56k modem couldn't take it! Thanks for posting, though, I appreciate a chance to look at the game.

Originally posted by Soddball:

What surprised me was how cheap your air support was (75 points for a Henschel 129). That's a huge difference compared to the 300pt+ fighter-bombers in CM:BB.

Another thing - when you go back to redo the page, is there any chance you could reduce the file size of the pics? I had to give up after pic 7, my 56k modem couldn't take it! Thanks for posting, though, I appreciate a chance to look at the game.

I should have thought of that last night Soddball. Try this one AAR 56k