Overheating Case..

Hi to all,

My computer case is getting hotter day by day..When I touch this case, I can feel the big temperature..

I have a operational back fun to make cooler this case but doesn't work..

Sometimes CMBB and CMAK games are freezing or I may see some crapy graphics (interesting woods and funny colorful roofs), I think that the source is overheated CPU..What can I do?

Thanks in advance for helps..

Best Regards..

Hi, Sorry I have forgotten to add spects:

Mainboard: GIGABYTE G8-S648FX

CPU: Celeron 2000 mhz

Video card: Geforce 2 mx 100/200 (32 MB)

RAM: 128 mb DDR

HD: 40 GB

CPU fan is working, The computer is not overclocked..

I have downloaded a program in able to see CPU and Case temperature which name is Motherboard Monitor 5..

I have took off the side cover of case..

I have seen the CPU temperature is 47 celcius and case temperature is 55-56 celcius while playing CM?

But my video card processor is very hot..I can't touch it...

Is it normal? May be the video card processor overheated?

Thanks in advance for your helps..

Best Regards..

Tolga..

Originally posted by togi:

...I have seen the CPU temperature is 47 celcius and case temperature is 55-56 celcius while playing CM?

But my video card processor is very hot..I can't touch it...

Is it normal? May be the video card processor overheated?

Thanks in advance for your helps..

Best Regards..

Tolga..

The temperatures that you have listed above are really not that bad. As far as the video card being hot to the touch, I'm not certain if that is a problem or not as I have never touched my video card during operation. There are aftermarket coolers/fans for video cards and as someone has already suggested, you could purchase additional exhaust and cooling hardware for the box.

After, taking of side cover of the case, I haven't seen a freezing till now, but I still see some crapy graphics such as odd trees..

I have been starting to think that the problem is sourced from overheated graphical card..

I'm thinking to buy a case fan and to mount it bottom of the graphical card...

I hope that it will work..

If it doesn't work, I will buy 512 mb memory..

Regards..

Tolga..

I have a card in my case that fits into an IDE slot. The card has two fans in it. Perhaps you could get this card and insert it in the the IDE slot that is next to your video card. This way the video card gets direct air flow. Is your video card AGP?

When I bought the card for my box to increase air flow it was relatively inexpensive, maybe $20.00 or so.

'Crappy graphics' can often mean an overheating of the videocard's memory or GPU (the 'processor' of the videocard).

Generally I wouldn't expect a GeForce 2 MX 100/200 to get very hot. The Nvidia 'spec' even allows for manufacturers to mount just a heatsink without a fan (which is apparently what you have). You can get heatsink/fan replacements to retrofit on your videocard. It may help or even solve your problem.

Vantec is a popular manufacturer of such GPU/Northbridge chipset coolers (this one is available from Newegg). If you don't want to do mailorder, you can probably find such items at your local computer dealer/superstore (though probably at a slight premium compared to pricing online). You may even be able to fix your videocard's overheating problem without purchasing anything by just checking to see if the GPU heatsink is in contact with the GPU itself (and thus mounted properly). If you have access to any 'CPU grease' (thermal compound, typically white in color) you could possibly take off the GPU heatsink and apply some of it to the GPU and its heatsink. However some GPU heatsinks are actually glued onto the GPU and I wouldn't recommend attempting to take them off unless you feel very comfortable doing so.

• 1 month later...

I am Having a similar Problem with my Nvidia GEforce fx 5600 Ultra card.

Every thing was working Fine until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed my Processor fan on my video card stopped running. I though maybe it had died or something then when I restarted my computer one day I saw it was running again but as soon as soon as Windows got sone loading and i got to my desktop it stopped.....

Can anyone help me?

It happend after I installed the New Drivers.

I Uninstalled the current drivers and tried older ones and its still didnt fix anything.

Apparently some videocards can turn off the GPU fan while a 2D screen is being displayed. Once a game is running, then it should turn on again since the 3D operations will turn on much more circuitry in the GPU.

Does the fan on the videocard turn on when you go into a game ? I usually wouldn't expect any videocards to turn off their GPU fans, but rather cut the speed down (variable speed fans) while it isn't needed as much. What brand and model of videocard is this (i.e. - Gainward, XFX, Albatron, ASUS, etc.) ? Have you looked through any of their documentation/websites about the GPU fans possibly turning off ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Apparently some videocards can turn off the GPU fan while a 2D screen is being displayed. Once a game is running, then it should turn on again since the 3D operations will turn on much more circuitry in the GPU.

All of them do, well at least the ones I have. I have powermeters in front of my computers and can clearly see the 3D engine coming on.

The temperatures as reported above are OK, so I would just add a ventilator in the PCI slot next to the graphics card (assuming it's AGP or PCI), that should do the trick.

However, you should be careful not to work "against" the power supply fan. With every fan installed which is connected to the outside, make sure all fans with external access form an airflow with one defined entry and one defined exit. Do not have several vetilators all blow to the inside.