Goose stepping German in CM:BB box art

Is it just me who thinks that German soldier on the road walking into that Soviet ambush in the cover art looks like he's practising his goose step? I couldn't stop laughing when I first saw it.

Why is that the art for some really good games seems to let it down. Another example was the art to Close Combat II with that awful looking GI looking back over his shoulder with the bridge over the Rhein as the background. YUCK!

Personally, I'd suggest simply commissioning Roger MacGowan for all the art work associated with any newly released quality wargame to try and ensure consistency and have the advertising at least live up to the content.

Obviously all the above is purely my personal opinion but I really think some improvements are in order when it comes to the artwork. And no, I'm no relation of Roger MacGowan's either. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

[ September 15, 2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]

Originally posted by Stoffel:

you do have a point here,bfc sells nice drawings.

but have indeed an ugly art cover for their games

I didn't think the cover for CM:BO was especially bad, save for the fact that it was monochrome on the manual.

Of course, it could have been better too.

But I agree that CM:BB deserves much better than it has gotten. It surely lacks the dignity of a McGowan illustration.

Michael

Originally posted by Stoffel:

you do have a point here,bfc sells nice drawings.

but have indeed an ugly art cover for their games

Lots of flak over this one!! Yes, he does look like he is doing the goose step! You are not the only one who got a laugh out of it smile.gif

Well, we have already seen some good alternatives to the box art, and I am sure that there are more to come. Im looking forward to the SL from Michael.

Chad

Bob MacGowan had it going on.

He did SL, COI, COD, GIAV, ASL, in addition to nearly all GDW stuff and much SPI stuff.

What was the last game he did a box cover for?

My favorite was definitely GDW's monster Operation Crusader, a well done line drawing on a sand colored box that captured the mood brilliantly.

The second best was SL; a commander dominating the foreground with a background of limited action; conveys the feeling of a leader planning an action.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Why is that the art for some really good games seems to let it down. Another example was the art to Close Combat II with that awful looking GI looking back over his shoulder with the bridge over the Rhein as the background. YUCK!

Actually, I think that was a British paratrooper on the box art for CCII.

I agree in essence, though, that the art image shown for CMBB's advertising and its demo (I don't know if this will be with the release version) is disappointing. The way as the advancing Germans are portrayed, the image doesn't have much focus or "urgency," even with the foreground Soviets waiting in ambush.

But I doubt it'll make much difference to CMBB sales.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Obviously all the above is purely my personal opinion but...

In that case, I'd like to suggest that the art is not bad, but rather it is the way it is intentionally.

I used to be very critical about the art I would see in video games and such, but now I'm very accepting of it. You have to realise that in many cases (if not nearly all), a certain piece may look the way it does NOT because of the artists limitation, but because the piece was meant to look that certain way.

Maybe the artist that did the CMBB picture has done several very detailed paintings of nude woman, can you really judge an artist by just one of his pieces?

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

Maybe the artist that did the CMBB picture has done several very detailed paintings of nude woman, can you really judge an artist by just one of his pieces?

I don't know. Show me the nudes and I'll get back to you.

From the signature of Kanonier Reichmann

You are fricken stoned if you think I would pay 70-80 bucks for CMBB.

The only way I would pay that much for the game would be if Madmatt hand delivers it to my house, and then gives me a foot massage as I install the game.

Direct quote from Jeff a.k.a. "Shandorf"

Better art cost more $$$, I'd rather have a quality game than a crappy game with good artwork.

Originally posted by olebooya:

From the signature of Kanonier Reichmann

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />You are fricken stoned if you think I would pay 70-80 bucks for CMBB.

The only way I would pay that much for the game would be if Madmatt hand delivers it to my house, and then gives me a foot massage as I install the game.

Direct quote from Jeff a.k.a. "Shandorf"

Better art cost more $$$, I'd rather have a quality game than a crappy game with good artwork.</font>