Tankfest 2002 (link to AAR Site added)

Nice pics. Looks like it was a good time.

Can anyone explain to me the paint-job on the Matilda? What is a tri-color tan, blue, dark blue pattern good for? I have seen similar color schemes on British Honey tanks, but I just do not get it.

Can anyone explain to me the paint-job on the Matilda? What is a tri-color tan, blue, dark blue pattern good for?
I think the color scheme obscures the silhouette...picture a tank on the horizon in the western desert...

[ July 02, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]

Think of the three ways you can look at the tank.

1. From the air as an attacking plane.

2. Against the back drop of a desert from a position say on a hill.

3. From a position level on the desert floor where the vehicle has sky showing behind it.

All Camo is designed to do is deflect the eye from looking at a regular shape.

I am no expert and I am sure one will be along shortly...

;)

H

P.s the forth way is looking up at it as it goes across your foxhole. At this stage a black underbelly is used.

:D

Was there not a connection to naval camo schemes? Alternatively, it is not hard to imagine the guys painting it on being pissed as Newts when they came up with it.

Holien - Bishop's Finger, Nun's Delight. As they say in Kent. Or somefink. :D

I will put up the pictures by Justin and Mattias if they want me to, whenever I get them.

I don't know what's worse; having your complexion turn luminescent pink when every day after 'Sun'-day has been wet and overcast or the sniggering remarks attributing my rosey cheeks to a prolonged bout of constipation :eek: . Sun burn at a tankfest? Surely, that's a contradiction in anorak terms?

Matt, I spent Sunday evening with a cold flannel on my head after coating it in successive layers of antispetic cream and aloe vera aftershave gel -Doh! Never, ever go out without a hat, thats my advice (just a shame I left mine in the car), but then I could have purchased a cheesey Tiger cap :D I saw a lot of traumatised people in Covent Garden on Monday, were they quaking ir your wake?

Despite all this (flinching in the shower, weeping blisters and now shocking peeling) I can safely say I had a wonderful day on Sunday. It was really good to meet up with all the CM'ers on the day. Imagine if you will, a swarm (is there a more appropriate term for a collection of CM'ers?) all furtively muttering about the relative merits of Hunt commands over overwatch, preferences for mines over barbed wire and the social acceptability (or otherwise) of being a devoted follower of wargames in general.

Now, if we could stomach it all again, isn't there the War and Peace Show on 17th - 18th of July or is that just a wicked rumour?

Hmmm I would guess you got clobbered by the sun.

I was mildly browned by it and I seem to have got off lightly.

If you get any more photo's please post them as I did not get all the ones I wanted to.

H

P.s. The event that is worth going to is Kirby Hall

"Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 August 2002 : From 10am (gates open 9.30am), enjoy an ideal family outing, with major arena displays depicting 2000 years of history beginning with the Romans and ending with the struggle for Europe during the Second World War. "

If you thought Tankfest was big, this is massive and covers the whole gambit of military history.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

Look for "History in Action" Link

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/default.asp?wci=mainframe&URL1=default.asp%3FWCI%3DNode%26WCE%3D107

[ July 03, 2002, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

No problem, I'll put the film in tomorrow. I don't think mine will be as impressive as yours (outstanding), but they have a few faces people can put to names so they may be of interest.

And then there maybe some prints of the Tiger 1 - if there aren't any children in the frame (curse them :D ).

That is a fine looking Firefly.

I am also curious about the camera used. How many "megapixels" was the digital camera that took these pics? I recently bought a 1.0 megapixel camera, but it was not very good, so I returned it.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I am also curious about the camera used. How many "megapixels" was the digital camera that took these pics? I recently bought a 1.0 megapixel camera, but it was not very good, so I returned it.

Well, it actually is not. It is a 76mm Sherman, and I am a dolt, as Simon rightly pointed out. My excuse is that I did the caption under the influence of alcohol. mmmmmmm, alcohol...

It is a Canon S40, 4 megapixel camera. Very nice.

The camera has astounded me at the quality of pictures from the event and seeing them on the web is great.

It was bought in Singapore and my engagement present.

Her indoors got a ring, I got the camera.

smile.gif

I am going to have to suss how to set up a site to post pictures to, as last year I went to Kirby Hall and they had a full scale mock battle with a American TD vs the Mock Tiger. It looked fantastic and the supporting troops were the Biz.

I am going this year and I will take plenty of photo's.

smile.gif

H

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Runyan99:

Well, it actually is not. It is a 76mm Sherman, and I am a dolt, as Simon rightly pointed out. My excuse is that I did the caption under the influence of alcohol. mmmmmmm, alcohol...

It is a Canon S40, 4 megapixel camera. Very nice.</font>

Hey guys, if you weren't at the Tankfest you missed quite a show! We went back the next day to have a look inside the museum itself, and wound up spending the rest of the day there (and we hurried!).

Here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure, in all their un-edited glory: my Tank Museum photo pages with pictures from Bovington (and Tankfest 2002), Munster, Saumur and Overloon.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

The tank pictures are great, but not all of us have

DSL and the like. Any possibility of getting them down to a size which isn't so overwhelming for my 28.8 modem connection?

Regards,

John Kettler

John, I know they are a bit of a killer, even on my ADSL connection. This is just a quick whack to get them on while they are still hot. When I get Justin's, and maybe Mattias' pictures, I will take some time to make it more friendly to those with slow connections.

Originally posted by Holien:

I am going to have to suss how to set up a site to post pictures to, as last year I went to Kirby Hall and they had a full scale mock battle with a American TD vs the Mock Tiger. It looked fantastic and the supporting troops were the Biz.

I am going this year and I will take plenty of photo's.

smile.gif

Oh bollocks i was planning to go to Kirby hall this year but we are coming back from our holiday that weekend.I might have to have a word with the wife and see if we can come back early as i really enjoy this event.Dont you think the arena pieces look better now they are using the smaller arena.The American civil war and the Napolionics looked so much better when you are sat closer to them.

Also wasn't the Lancaster a great way to end the show .

Apparently the tiger is built on a Russian tank base and it was built for a film.it can only fire one shot as they have to load the charge in the barrel end and then run wires done the barrel to let it off.

The only thing that spoilt it for me was when the tank was knocked out the tank crew just stood around on the tank talking instead of taking cover.Because i do reenactment this sort of thing pisses me off big time.We are told to act in character when we are in the public view.

Also was that Murrey Walker sitting in one of the tanks as it looks very much like him and his mouth is open as if he is talking. smile.gifsmile.gif

In regards to Kirby I did not notice the tankers antics as my eyes were draw to the 25 Pdr letting off rounds over the crest of the hill.

Yes being closer to the action is fun and it all has to be taken with a dose of salt as I realise it is your hobby and you do it for fun.

I know some of the ACW chaps and they have a riot in the camp at night when all the punters have gone.

I just hope we don't get rain like we did for some of last year.

;)

H

yes i know what you mean about the camps after the public go home.That is the best bit of the shows for me.

Also it seems i might be able to get there on the sunday . smile.gifsmile.gif

Have you joined English Heratige yet as we joined a couple of years ago and you get into any events for nothing.We saved the joining fee staight off by going to the whole weekend for both years.You need to go for both daays to be able to see everything.

Yep I am a memeber but this year you have to pay, even as a member.

:(

Reduced fee of course...

I hope to go both days as I have only been one day before and it was just not enough to be able to see all that I wanted in the detail I like.

H