Newbie or not?

How many games against human opponents does it take to lose the "newbie" status?

The reason I ask is that in another thread one player stated something in the line of "I've only played about 100 games PBEM and TCP/IP, so I'm pretty much a newbie...".

Personally I've had a couple of PBEMs going at all times for the last 20 months or so. This way I've managed to end a total of about 20 PBEM games since I bought CMBO. (No more than a few turns TCP/IP and one hotseat battle.)

Does that mean that I'm still a newbie?

Cheers

Olle

Depends on your defenition of a newbie. If your refering to your familiarity with the game and its mechanics, then you could almost lose your newbieness playing the AI.

If your talking about your familiarity with tactics and such, I'd say most players would drop thier true newbie status within a handful of games.

If he's played 100+ PBEMs, then he ain't a newbie, unless the learning algorithms in his brain are fried. smile.gif

Mikey

well i've played several games, but not many by pbem. i've learned alot about tactics, but my map analyzing ability sucks and i'm not sure it's getting any better. so i think i'll be a newby till the day i die i guess, but no worries. i still love this game! ;)

I've played a lot of games against the AI, a few TCP/IP but no PBEM.

I'm a newbie even though I've played many games solo because the human player is always more unpredictable than the AI. After awhile you can guess how the AI will handle certain situations. If the scenario is well made or not is usually the challenge when playing the AI.

The real key playing another opponent is when your faced with a situation you haven't come across before and how you can react. Are you always making the same mistakes. If you just haven't been competetive or your still just trying to feel yourself around in setting up a strategy/gameplan, then consider yourself a newbie. My two cents.

Originally posted by Shades:

... If you ... still just trying to feel yourself around in setting up a strategy/gameplan, then consider yourself a newbie. My two cents.

Then I must be a newbie, since I try to implement new strategies and tactics every single game! (... and most of the time I lose. :( )

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

How many games against human opponents does it take to lose the "newbie" status?

The reason I ask is that in another thread one player stated something in the line of "I've only played about 100 games PBEM and TCP/IP, so I'm pretty much a newbie...".

Cheers

Olle

Hey that was me I think! The way I see it you can get into a game with 20 PBEM's with different opponents just as well, or even better, than with 100 games most of which have been TCP/IP against the same group of guys.

The majority of my games have been 1500 to 5000 pts quick battles (3 to 10 minute round time to avoid micromanaging, I call them "reflex games" as opposed to pondering and wondering of hours for a 1 minute move) with quite historical force compositions. Also I haven't played vs the AI that much, which means I haven't tested out or seen several units at all. I tend to pick the ones I like and fit historically, for example I am a complete failure and very green in heavy tank combat. I've yet to buy a single Panther, King Tiger or Pershing myself. Heh. I've once bought the puppschen. Nashorn and heavy German TD's, never. Flakwagons a few times.

All in all I still consider myself a newbieish player vs the real tourney and ladder vets, but not so as to enroll for the new newbie tourney. The one thing I might have a clue on is infantry fighting and artillery to some extent.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Soddball:

Fight you for first place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im losing to you right now, so I get your spot.

I bet I lose to Soddball worse, so you and I will have to fight for a space.

DjB

PBEM, well hell, I've maybe finished 2 pbem's. Probably played over a hundred tcp/ip. Just too much self-questioning and over-analyzation going on in pbem for me plus with the review movie stage necessitated by we-go, it just takes too long to finish a game.