Southern USSR topomap site

Here are some other resources which may prove useful:

Soviet Union country study; part of the Area Study series covering all the countries of the world and published by the U.S. Goverment Printing Office, this volume has several useful maps illustrating the distribution of major terrain types, climatic zones, drainage and the like. These volumes are common in public libraries and can probably be bought for a pittance on E-bay or similar.

GEOGRAPHY OF THE U.S.S.R.; we used to own this book

(Dad donated it as part of a drive to replace Samoa's typhoon destroyed library), but I recall it as being chockful of all sorts of meaty detail on how the Soviet Union was laid out in terms of soil, rocks, water features, forestation and the like. Had tons of pictures depicting various geographical and geological features, too.

TM 30-548 Soviet Topographic Map Symbols; mine's dated 1958 and shows the incredible level of detail the Soviets put into their military maps. No wonder only officers were allowed to have them!

Hope this helps the war effort.

Regards,

John Kettler

This link is quite useful to translate

russian into english: http://translation2.paralink.com/

It has a small keyboard console with cyrillic alphabet so you can type exactly the same word as you see it on a map.

For allowing computer to show foreign languages, I think (not sure about that) you have to go to Microsoft update site (for IE by instance) and download a specific ruleset.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

GAHHHH anyone speak Russian?

I can read Russian. The trouble is, my PC can't. Can anyone give me a hint as to how to get the stupid thing to show Cyrillic properly? tongue.gif

All the best,

John.</font>

Wow, that translation tool works great. I was looking for Cherson and ofcourse it's all in Russia so I click where it should be. It comes up with a city named "Xepcoh". So I use the cyrillic keyboard and bam, it translates it into Herson. Well that could only be Cherson. YAY!

Originally posted by Runyan99:

BTW - those gridsquares are 1km X 1km, right?

I'll answer my own question. They actually look like 2km X 2km grid squares.

I swear. If you do not read cyrillic, you can just about go blind looking at maps like these, trying to find some village south west of Evel-Sheich, or some such place.