Idea that might improve the graphics of CM and CMBB (HUGE PICS)

Here's a view from farther away:

16b.jpg

Another pic (I added a halftrack smile.gif ):

19.jpg

These are the original CMBO bmp's I havent used any mods for this experiment with the exception of some of the tree base tiles (and a building or two). I am also rendering about 150% ambient light on the ground tiles in this pic.

They definetly need more work tho. Sometimes the shadows are too dark and sometimes they are too light. I guess it depends on the color of the texture.

[ June 16, 2002, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: George-III ]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a view from farther away:
Oh, c'mon, let's put an end to this right now. This wouldn't work because it would make the rest of CM's graphics look so bad.

Seriously, after seeing this picture, all you've got left to do to convince me is to tell me where I get this stuff.... :D

(The Tiger's road wheels do look a tad too dark at this distance....)

By the way, how does it look on half-tracks? I wouldn't expect much of a difference.....

Man, that looks soooo cool!

I think they would look better on a darker grass mod, though! And I always was wondering, why the vehicle shadow was so pale! Now with this high contrast mod I really long for a stronger, darker vehicle shadow!

The zoomed out view hides the necessary fine-tuning and reveals the great overall effect! An excellent substitute for the missing dynamic lighting capabilities of CM in my humble opinion.

Keep em' coming!

Thomm

Originally posted by Agua:

Man, this will sound really odd, but those really do make the terrain look too bad to use them. Very nice George, very, very nice, but the contrast is just too much.

For some reason George adjusted the terrain brightness level to 150% as he mentioned above. Thus the high contrast! But I think that can be changed very easily back to the original values or even darker! Certainly a compromise has to be found, but the immediate impression is incredibly graphic one way or the other! Just look at those Panthers ... this is not just a `rarest ambush scheme ever' or a `unit so-und-so marker' mod, but something entirely fresh!

Regards,

Thomm

Wow! Great work George-III!!!

Those mods look more like some of the professional-quality models of AFV, similar to those used in the CMBB modeling contest. They look much more metallic and solid than some of the current mods which (although sweet unto themselves) look artificial.

Does this Shadow Effect make low-res mods more hi-res?

Keep up the good work!

I'm not intending to offend, but I just can't see what you guys are seeing. To me, at the higher view they look like the little 3d pieces in Talonsoft's East Front.

Obviously I am not helping. smile.gif Sorry, I'll butt out.

-dale

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Does this Shadow Effect make low-res mods more hi-res?

Keep up the good work!

Rendering light (or the lack of it) doesnt change the size of the file at all. It only looks more hi-rez because the shadows allow you to see the detail of the model. Heres an example.

All the vehicles in this picture have hi-rez textures on them:

32.jpg

The vehicles below (from the same save-game file) have only the low-rez original textures and the shadows:

31.jpg

Even though the bottom textures look more detailed in fact they are LESS detailed and SMALLER in size than the textures in the top photo. With the shadows you dont need detailed bmp's to get a great looking model. Notice how much more detailed and clean the models look in the bottom photo. With this comparison you guys can get an idea of why I am so enthusiastic about this. It improves the look of the graphics tremendously. BTS has got to try this with the models in CMBB, with the improved terrain I know they would look fantastic.

[ June 17, 2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: George-III ]

this is the first vechicle-mod, that makes any sense to me. i never saw the point in adding hi-res textures and more detail to objects wich almost never occupy more than 100x100pixels on the screen. even a plain olive-green texture with this shading would look better than any texture without shading.

Originally posted by George-III:

Sometimes the shadows are too dark and sometimes they are too light. I guess it depends on the color of the texture.

From your sample pics I'd say that your shadowing looks about right for multicolour camo, but overdone on the US OD Shermans.

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by sebastian:

i never saw the point in adding hi-res textures and more detail to objects wich almost never occupy more than 100x100pixels on the screen.

I agree with that! It's what I've been arguing for a long time.

The only textures that really thrive in Hi-res are the ground and houses.

The only reason I use Hi-res mods for other units is that they have a better colour or pattern, and are not available in lo-res.

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by SturmSebber:

I speak for all when i say:

WHERE CAN WE DOWNLOAD THIS TREASURE ? :eek:

Well, there is still a lot of work to be done on these. The shading needs to be tweeked on a lot of them and also the German half-tracks and armored cars dont look too good.

With CMBB so close to realease I think the best thing to do would be to just release my vehicle bmp's as a beta and let you guys play around with them. If anyone wants to host it the zip file is 13 megs. I will have to send it to you as a split-file (1 meg parts) because hotmail has a 1 meg limit. Just combine with split-it, masterspliter or any other similar prog.

If you can host just post a reply here and I will send you the files.

Heres 2 more before and after photos (with DD's terrain):

Before:

37.jpg

After:

38.jpg

P.S. - Also the screenshots are a little darker than what I see when I am playing the game. For those who are worried that the shadows are too dark. It may depend on your video card as well but in-game it looks ok.