Too many trees?

Hi,

Is it just me or does CMBB show more trees in forest than CMBO?

I have noticed that I have to hide trees if I want to see where my troops are, and with that I sometimes forget that there is forest there.. tongue.gif

Would it be possible to add one more option to how many trees are shown, something that would show just few trees? Perhaps half of what is current minimum.

I know there is option how many trees are visible, but like I said I have to hide (set trees to none) if I want to see where my troops are. And if set them to none I sometimes forget where forests are, usually when using view 1 to see what area guns can see etc. When viewing from higher up I can see terrain from ground color.

I don't know if trees are bigger than in BO or there are more of them, or it is just me, but I practically have to keep trees to none all the time if want to know what is in forests. (now not sure if this is true for all forest types, but at least those for example in scenario where finns attack Viipuri)

What I would love is to have less trees than are visible on smallest tree option. Those few trees would tell where forest is even when can't see ground color.

Originally posted by jKMkIII:

I don't know if trees are bigger than in BO...

Yes. Someone at BFC posted a few days ago that the tall pines are in fact taller. That was the reason given for the views 3, 4, and 5 being higher than in BO. Also there is now Extreme Coverage, which is somewhat denser than Full.

Michael

I have to admit I agree that even the minimal tree setting blocks my ability to see my little cyber soldiers. I really liked the idea of transparent trees someone posited. I am sure that such an option would be difficult to implement, however.

One option that will help you out eventually is when people start modding more tree bases. This should at least help you differentiate the type of tree cover with no trees shown.

I've noticed the same thing about the trees. I generally turn off trees in CMBB where I would not in CMBO. The trees in CMBB seem to obscure too much, even at the sparse coverage option.

Would it be possible for one of the skilled mod creators to create a mod of the trees to make them less obscuring? Or is that quality hard-coded into the engine?

Originally posted by jKMkIII:

I know there is option how many trees are visible, but like I said I have to hide (set trees to none) if I want to see where my troops are. And if set them to none I sometimes forget where forests are, usually when using view 1 to see what area guns can see etc. When viewing from higher up I can see terrain from ground color.

I don't know if trees are bigger than in BO or there are more of them, or it is just me, but I practically have to keep trees to none all the time if want to know what is in forests. (now not sure if this is true for all forest types, but at least those for example in scenario where finns attack Viipuri)

What I would love is to have less trees than are visible on smallest tree option. Those few trees would tell where forest is even when can't see ground color.

Try using 'shift b' in conjunction with 'sparse trees'. The colored bases help me find my troops fairly easily - although crater / foxholes / trenches seem to cover the bases for some reason.

While we are on the subject of reducing the "Tree coverage" from "Extreme", "Full" and "Moderate" to "Sparse" (not "None"), I was surprised to notice that at the "Sparse" setting (just a frew trees here and there), that the "trees blowing in the wind" animation does not seem to work. :confused:

Can anyone else verify this? Is this intentional? A bug?

Lt Bull

Lt Bull,

The sparse trees do no sway in the wind because its intentional. Its assumed if you went to sparse, you may have done it for performance reasons. At sparse settings, other performance impacting things, like swaying trees, are turned off.

---------

The tree issue is just the BMPs being used. The CMBB trees are fuller, branches spread way out and low to the ground. This makes viewing troops more difficult compared to the smaller CMBO trees. Actually, more realistic. Someone may introduce a MOD that redoes the "woods" trees that may rectify this for some. Its all a matter of taste.

Originally posted by kump:

Lt Bull,

The sparse trees do no sway in the wind because its intentional. Its assumed if you went to sparse, you may have done it for performance reasons. At sparse settings, other performance impacting things, like swaying trees, are turned off.

Thanks Garry,

I had a feeling that may have been the case. When I first noticed it, I thought (I hoped) I had unintentionally turned off the "Animate Trees" setting (which of course doesn't exist :rolleyes: ). BTW, the reason why I sometimes use the "Sparse Coverage" settings is so that I could see my units better (esp. in wooded maps), and not because I got performance problems.

No big deal but a separate toggle for activating/deactivating "Tree Animations" would be a good comprimise.

Lt Bull