Pity your Aufklarung boys........

Indeed Aufklareng means reconnaisance and thats what those detachements were called ie Aufklareng Abteilung.=.recon battalion.

The German recon units adopted a very aggressive policy and often performed the "recon by force", in that they were quite happy to fight it out for their information and would often seize objectives themselves, if the opportunity arose and await the main body to follow up.

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

The German recon units adopted a very aggressive policy and often performed the "recon by force", in that they were quite happy to fight it out for their information and would often seize objectives themselves, if the opportunity arose and await the main body to follow up.

And that is different from other nation's how?

oops s'cuse me i put an 'e' where there should be a 'u' (i'm at work so forgive me!) :rolleyes:

and sorry Master Andreas who seems to get a kick out of stomping on peoples posts, i'm sure you will correct me as usual, but i thought the Germans were known for their 'aggressive' recon as opposed to other nations who stuck to the spot, report and stay a safe distance? Thats what i've read before on more than one occasion, so i based my statement on that, and no i cant give you references and titles cos i do not remember. But i'm happy to be corrected from your vast resources, just lighten up on the put downs! ;)

and sorry Master Andreas who seems to get a kick out of stomping on peoples posts, i'm sure you will correct me as usual, but i thought the Germans were known for their 'aggressive' recon as opposed to other nations who stuck to the spot, report and stay a safe distance? Thats what i've read before on more than one occasion, so i based my statement on that, and no i cant give you references and titles cos i do not remember. But i'm happy to be corrected from your vast resources, just lighten up on the put downs! ;)

Since you are obviously not interested in learning, why should I bother sharing any information with you? We could have had a nice discussion about recon in force doctrine, during which both of us could have learned something. To do so, I just needed to know the level of your knowledge about other nations practice. Since you want to see that request for elucidation as a put-down, fine. You'll just continue believing that the Germans did everything better and more aggressively than everybody else and were generally superior, while I won't bother reading your posts in the future. That way we are both happy, you in your ignorance, and I save time.

Have a nice day.

It's a good account, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for the narrator or his buddies, they should all have been consumed by Russia, but that's a different matter.

As for aggressive recon, nobody beat the Japanese in that aspect, although the Finns' ski raids were epic.

Gyrene

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

And that is different from other nation's how?</font>

i've also read - there and about - that the german recon would fight... and i design certain scenarios to reflect that... they had pretty good gear... for instance in '41 each battalion seems to have a motorized heavy weapons company with a pioneer platoon, 2 x 75mm IG, and 3 x 37mm AT...

in my experience, in afv-only combat those 20mm armored cars are the equal of any bt or t26 tank...

It's a dangerous thing trying to interpret 'tone' in these posts. You write something light and it's responded to as though it were a flame. We need more smiley faces to help us interpret the intent. I illustrate below:

Hey, why is everybody ignoring my question about those feared Aufklingen bell-ringer regiments? :(

Hey, why is everybody ignoring my question about those feared Aufklingen bell-ringer regiments?

;)

Hey, why is everybody ignoring my question about those feared Aufklingen bell-ringer regiments?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

[ December 11, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

Since you are obviously not interested in learning, why should I bother sharing any information with you? We could have had a nice discussion about recon in force doctrine, during which both of us could have learned something. To do so, I just needed to know the level of your knowledge about other nations practice. Since you want to see that request for elucidation as a put-down, fine. You'll just continue believing that the Germans did everything better and more aggressively than everybody else and were generally superior, while I won't bother reading your posts in the future. That way we are both happy, you in your ignorance, and I save time.

</font>

and sorry Master Andreas who seems to get a kick out of stomping on peoples posts, i'm sure you will correct me as usual,

That's ok, I get a kick out of watching him stomp on posts, cause they usually deserve it. Though for "stomp" substitute "offer meaningful dialogue on the subject in question".

Since you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I have decided to start a new thread on this topic here.

I think those seriously interested should let JaegerMeister continue to live in Kurt Meyer's Ra-Ra fantasyland. :D

[ December 12, 2002, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Look people, Andreas, Mike Dorosh, before we descend in manners here, i do not wish to offend anybody but what riled me was the 'tone' in which Andreas answers some of these threads. Point taken about tones getting lost in languages though, and i'm always ready to hear what you 'true-grogs' have to say. But whats been lost here is that my original post was just to point people to a good read of an account from the Eastern front as not everybody knows a lot about it and these accounts set the 'feel' for CMBB.

Then somebody asked the innocent question of what Aufklarung means, which i noticed while at work and threw in a quick reply based on my interpretation of what i have read on more than one occasion from various authors.

It was a simple answer to a simple question.

I was just a little offended by what i thought was a 'superior' response from somebody but happily bow to the knowledge of the true-grogs on here. I do not live in Kurt Meyers ra-ra land and only dare state things on what i have read myself, which may or may not be correct, i guess depending on who got their facts right in their books! smile.gif

[ December 12, 2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: JaegerMeister ]