What happens to CM when there is no theartres left?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by murpes:

Forget that. What I want is Combat Mission: Gettysburg. A civil war game like this would rock.<hr></blockquote>

It would, but not half as much as a Combat Mission: Napoleon. Just think of the opportunities for uniform mods... smile.gif

Imagine panning and tilting the camera to your hearts content as French Cuirassiers overrun the Grand Redoubt, or as British musketry blows away the head of an attacking French column, or as a grand battery pulverises an enemy line prior to the attack, or just relax watching the opposing skirmish lines trade shots.

Imagine the sounds of musket volleys, hooves, pipes, drums, the whizz of solid shot and the jangling of horse furniture, the rattle of musket balls striking cuirasses...imagine...imagine...

Em...what's the best way to get drool out of a keyboard?

Seriously, be it for the American Civil War, or the Napoleonic Wars or even the Punic Wars, the terrain engine as it is would do fine. For most aspects.

Dreaming on...

Regards,

Paul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Combat Mission: Warhammer 40,000

the thought alone makes me drool.

leading a Space Marine task force against an Ork Horde or Tyranid host... *sigh* or an Chaos Army with mutants and demons and sorcerers... Khorne Berzerkers... Squats.... Titan Legions.... Land Raider Companies... Storm Hammers and Baneblades.... *sniff* Ork Mobs with Warpheads and a Kult of Speed... *sniff* *sniff*

*sigh*

a shame this will never happen.

:(

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blenheim:

I second "Combat Mission X: Imperial Eagles" about Napoleonic Warfare... <hr></blockquote>

Well, we will already have 10km maps in CMBB! That's a start. Although some battles streatched out even farther then that.

CM in its current state is far out of the scope for Napoleonic combat. We're dealing with bBattalions, while Napoleonics require dealing with Corps and Armies. Maybe when those 10Ghz computers roll around... :D

Good point Commissar. But like how a 12 man squad is represented by 3 guys in CM, those Corps would like a battalion, well almost. BTS has lots of tricks for lessening the workload on CPUs.

But it brings up the dreaded horse question!!!! The Napoleon timeframe is not that diffrent from the American Civil War. BTS could do a 1756 to 1865, Seven Years' War to ACW wargame. Instead of having equipment change every year, you could have it change every 10 or 20 years. And this game would make a lot of people happy. As almost every country on the planet was in a war with someone during that time period.

Even the New Zealanders can get in on the fun and mod the American armies to Maori warriors that try and fend off the Armies of the British. The Maori favored the German style double-barreled muskets. And were engaged in some significent battles with each other and Pakeha (White folks).

If BTS did a good job with melee combat, we could even refight the Zulu Wars. Yeah, I think this time period would make a lot of people happy.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Mr. Johnson-- ]</p>

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Lindan:

I want Combat Mission: Warhammer 40,000

a shame this will never happen. :(

Why not? A "nonprofit" MOD could be done without paying GWs copyrights! But for such a task, CM had to be open source...

Anyway, I had the same Idea, when I first played CM! Ordering a Lema Russ-Squad to engage some Chaos-Spacemarines...oh, just to think of it......

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

I had a thought on a "compromise" on the Pacific theater of operation. Instead of a Pacific only CM perhaps BTS could do an amphibuous version that modeled the actual landings in the Pacific AND in the West (i.e. Normandy, South France, Sicily, Salerno, etc). The emphasis would be in adding the amphibuous craft such as LCT's, Ducks, LCVP's, etc and the beach defences. Perhaps having both Pacific and Western amphibuous operation would widen the appeal. Just a thought.

That's a really good idea, dude. Very nice.

Oh man, lol, we otta get some guys together to Mod together a Warhammer 40,000 game for CM:BB. Im sure it would take some work, but not totally impossible. Change uniforms to look like metal suits. Add green skin color to the German's, lol. It can be done I think.

Well, I would die for "CM: Bismarck", covering the years between 1864 and 1871. Prussians & Austrians against Denmark (1864), Prussians vs. Austrians (and a bunch of minor German states fighting on Austria's side), and finally Germany under Prussian leadership against France (1870-71). War games featuring Germans always seem to sell well, so why should BTS not make something out of Bismarck's three wars? Prussian Füsiliers with Pickelhaubes, French soldiers with red képis ... Krupp howitzers and Mitrailleuses ... at least, it would be something really new.

Greetings,

Feldgendarm

The type of game I'd really like to see would be Ancient Warfare with a 3D/We-go engine. Especially nice would be Indian warfare, with chariots, elephants, cavalry and infantry formations. Scenerios could range from foraging expeditions, ambushes, mountain pass defence, snatch-n-grab raids to kidnap a local prince or capture supplies, all the way up to full-scale set-piece standoffs, ala Mahabharata.

Even cooler would be if the time-frame was expanded to include the Muslim invasions with new cavalry tactics and the early introduction of firearms and artillery. Then you could have battles going on between different technology levels: classic Indian Elephant armies facing off against fast-emplacing/disemplacing horse-drawn light cannons. etc. etc.

Hell it could even be expanded up into the early colonial period with French vs. British Sepoys, and the difference between 18'th-early 19'th century disciplined musket infantry and every-man-his-own-warrior Muslim or Hindu chieftan troops. Even that late you could still find elements of the most ancient equipment and tactics being fielded against the latest developments and everything in between.

Fitting all that into one engine that really did it justice would, of course, be a momentous labour of love, but hell what a game! And so I dream on...

Originally posted by Volker:

Wait a Second, you mean the CM Dev's plan to make more CM's after CM:BB, dealing in North Africa, and then Early War?

Well, first comes the CMII Engine rewrite.

If I were to guess, the Med would be the first to use the new engine, then Early war. And BTS has said they want to return to CMBO and CMBB with the new engine eventually. But even BTS isn't completely sure what direction they will take exactly. Finishing CMBB is the first priority, then the new engine.

Hopefully it won't take them too long to get to a Napoleonic version of CM and then, taking Mr. Johnson's suggestion, an Age of Rifles/ACW-style game. Come on, BTS. You've got lots of work ahead of you. Snap to it! ;):D:D

BTW, one of the more interesting suggestions for the CM engine was an ironclads naval game, particularly given the engine's penetration calculations.

- Chris

[ May 05, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

Originally posted by Volker:

Now wait just a Second! You mean CM:BB is NOT CMII? CMII is a totally new game they will be working on? So CM:BB is the same as CM:BO?

Correct. "CMII" will be a new engine with 32-bit rendering, relative spotting, smaller terrain tiles, and much, much more. It will be the basis for future versions of Combat Mission.

CMBB is the follow-up to CMBO. It's based on the existing CMBO engine, but contains many more units, different terrain types, different commands, different textures, a rarity system, and a whole lot more. See the CMBB FAQ thread for screenshots and info on what the upcoming game encompasses.

Is that East Front game Turn Based, like CM?
Yep. BTS has said that all of these games will be "turn-based simultaneous-execution", like CMBO currently is.

- Chris

Thanks for the Info, but in terms of the East Front game, Im talking about that game where you see the crew of that AT gun. From that Russin Site, I think the game is called World War II.

It was in the Post you Linked to, about CMII.

I for one would like to see CM:Beyond Borlänge. A version that deals with what if situations along the Swedish borders from 1939-1945.

German invasions, Soviet incursions, Allied occupations against an army slowly developing from WWI standard in 1939 to about half decent but still weak in 1945. Adding Finish interventions, Norweigian partisans and Allied SOF's on the Blue side to spice things up.

Could even make it a full blown high North kit, as long as the Swedes are included at all times smile.gif

--

We always hear you guys complaining about the lack of representation of forces and equipment from Y-land at the X-front (couldn't start with X there) and how much fun it would be to see forces from former allies clash, etc etc.

Well, we haven't had a decent conflict since 1809. And though I thank god, and others involved, for that every day it makes for poor wargaming when one is mostly interested in battles taking place after 1850.

So, bring em on, I want to see the Strv M/40 L's rolling and debate on the forum wether the PvKv43 should be included or not!

Yup, that's it, it's a no brainer BTS smile.gif

M.

LOL!

Well, we participated some in the 1813-14 war against that crazy Corsican IIRC, but it most a PR campaign to acquire Norway from the Danes and the Swedes were kept mostly in the background during the campaigns by Bernadotte.

But it would be really cool to watch our 20 and 37mm ATGs take on Soviet or German tanks in 1943, could be messy. And all our tanks had 37mm main armament until very late, didn't they (we had some of those really cool Pz35(t)s at least)? smile.gif

Well, we got the mighty Strv m/42 in, eh, '43. It sported a 75mm L/34 gun that was just as good as the German 75mm L/24 smile.gif

For more information on Swedish armour, and indeed all (and I do mean ALL) nations during the period up to 1945 head over to...

This great site!

M.

P.S.

Cogust, where is my turn smile.gif