If someone would make a Campaigngame...........

..........would someone except that someone who made the Campaigngame play it ?

Someone is talking about a Strategic Layer™ to CombatMission.

Someone is not a NaziFacist who would like Germany to win the war, but rather make "what if" campaigns like for example the area around St. Lo, Bastogne and so on..........

Someone have already written a substancial amount of code and could if encurraged by the unwashed masses "smack" in the final gear and throw upp some half-finished Beta for the previously named masses to test.

The question is, if someone would produce a stable Strategic Layer to Combat Mission, would someone else play the god damn thing ? Would someone else help someone to playtest the thing ?

Someone would appreciate if any responce to this(if any) is short. Time is in short supply, even shorter after i have started this CMSL thingi....

/Someone

PS. Someone's native tounge is not English so any comments on that have to be writen in flawless Swedish DS.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

check the posts for the Magenta Onion wars

we have it all,

battles,between two states(fictional)

a huge campaign which will last for months

spies and secret agencies

economics

industries

and anything else that conmes up during the fighting

Thank you Stoffel, but how can you simulate the battles around and in St. Lo with this Magenta Onion as the Strategic Layer and CM as the Tactical battlesolver ? Is it a computersoftware or a paper(email?) and pen version ? I will check for myself but would apprecheate a fast-version.

/Björn ELfström

I strongly support any form of campaign generator for CM. Charles et. all have neglected this function at the expense of CM's longterm prospect of competing for my limited gaming hours.
I'm sorry, I reeeeeally don't mean any disrespect, but everyone try reading this in the Simpsons' Comic Book Store Guy voice. It's hilarious!

Just kidding around, Directive smile.gif

-Andrew

Originally posted by Mirage2k:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I strongly support any form of campaign generator for CM. Charles et. all have neglected this function at the expense of CM's longterm prospect of competing for my limited gaming hours.

I'm sorry, I reeeeeally don't mean any disrespect, but everyone try reading this in the Simpsons' Comic Book Store Guy voice. It's hilarious!

Just kidding around, Directive smile.gif

-Andrew</font>

Yes, it would be nice to have a good strategic level wrapper. I am running a campaign now that uses the CM map editor for this, acting as our "sand table", with units positioned on it like miniatures. It is working fine, but does require a referee to run. Our early Bulge simulation (one sector between the Our and Clerf rivers) has progressed from dawn to dusk of the first day, and generated about a score of tactical engagements. That is about 3 to 3 1/2 months of playing time.

Playability is the absolute priority for such systems. A close second is multi-player capability. The operational bells and whistles are comparatively less important, though some things - like artillery support designations and ammo limitations - have to be done well to make the overall result playable and competitive. My advice is to keep it simple.

There is definitely interest, as more than a dozen players have participated in the latest campaign. A number were in one before that, run with cruder systems, last fall. And before that I ran a campaign of a different sort back in the spring of 2001, set in Normandy, but designed as a sort of "course" of tactical fights that everyone took the same force type through.

The latest version - using the CM map editor, the "CMx10" system - is by far the most playable of my own three attempts. It is especially helpful that small files can be generated and sent to process orders, report enemy sightings, keep track of unit locations and strengths, etc. All just as CM scenario files, manipulated in the editor.

One other thing I have found is that tactical terrain always requires tweaking. In principle, the auto-generate function can provide the maps, with the operational map just providing the basic terrain type. But in practice a bit more is needed than that, in terms of aligning roads properly, getting gradients and slopes reasonably correct, wall and hedge micro-terrain tweaking simply to improve realism, extending maps already fought on partially, in subsequent fights, etc.

Just some of the lessons I've seen implimenting the overall campaign idea over the last year or so, for whatever they are worth...

Would BTS consider releasing the format of a .cmb file? This would speed up the development of a strategic layer immensely. Since BTS has said that they do not support the concept of an ongoing campaign game, it is unlikely that such a strategic layer will come into conflict with BTS at any point in the near foreseeable future.

Would BTS consider releasing the format of a .cmb file? This would speed up the development of a strategic layer immensely. Since BTS has said that they do not support the concept of an ongoing campaign game, it is unlikely that such a strategic layer will come into conflict with BTS at any point in the near foreseeable future.

If BT would release the format for the cmb file I would start writing a campaign module for this game. A friend of mine and I have already thought this out quite a bit but still need the cmb format to make it work. Our idea was based around the idea of either using the map editor to generate a large number of maps and then merging them or writing a generator ourselves (definitely the former option first). Roads etc get added on after so that they link. Each player places their forces and the game begins. A cmb file is generated for each battle. At the end of game the result reported from CM are put back in. Casualties, losses etc get handled statistically.

Well that was the basic premise anyway. We were mainly aiming to produce a series of battles where the objective was much less defined than just flags, where pushing until your force was nearly gone is not a good idea etc.