What spec machines are people playing CM with now?

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

The VRAM pretty much forces me to use low-res terrain/smoke/etc. (fine), and I can still use hi-res AFV, uniforms, etc., which is good. Someday I'm going to override the (PCI-only!) video, and put in a PCI GeForce II-MMX 64MB, and then I should be CM:BB capable.

Damn, I just saw those cards going for about $29.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amd xp2100+, 60 gig WD ATA/133 hardrive, 1024 DDR samsung memory(pc2100), Ge-Force3 Ti200.Audigy soundcard, Creative 5.1 5300 surround sound speakers, and a brushed aluminum case with view window and blue neon lighting. My wife just purchased it for me 2 weeks ago. smile.gif

4-yr-old Pentium II 450 MHz, 384MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX400/64MB, 17" CRT, 'bout 20GB total on 2 hard drives. CMBO runs OK on smaller battles, but turn resolution can take a while on larger ones. Will probably look towards upgrading later this summer, but first need to read up on current technology and potential specs.

AMD XP +1600, 512 DDR RAM, GeForce 3Ti200, Samsung Syncmaster 19" at 1600x1200, a big metallic blue Chieftec fulltower, and a set of fans that are driving me nuts. I am about to rip every fan out of my system and replace them with something more silent.

Unfortunately my present job requires me to have Windows, otherwise äI would begin to save up for a brand new G4 tower, and use it with my present monitor.

M

For now, a PII 400 MHz with 256MB of Ram and a Diamond Viper 550 16MB video card. Bought it as a top line unit back in 1998 and have made it last for nearly 4 years now.

Am planning to upgrade later this summer to a 2.1 GHz buttkicker with 512MB Ram and a 64MB GeForce video card. Annother 4 years of gaming goodness! w00t!

Steve

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Does anyone have an opinion on improved Sound Card making CMBO noticeably more enjoyable? My default Hewlett-Packard S/C is fine, once coupled w/ decent speakers. But what of a hot rod of a Soundcard? Is is worth it?

What will help dramatically is to run your sound card -- ANY sound card -- to a real stereo amp, and out to real stereo speakers. Even the cheapest amp and speakers are a thousand times better than those so-called "computer speakers". The whole "computer speaker" market is a total sham. Even "the good stuff" is junk by comparison to the worst of regular home audio equipment.

Right now I'm running my system through an optically-connected Harmon-Kardon AVR-650 amp with Dolby 5.1 surround, good thick Monster Cables, and a bunch of giant ancient Fisher speakers (fronts are 250W w/ 12" bass... rears are 180W w/ 8" bass... center is 110W, no bass... artillery sounds incredible... easily shakes the windows...)

However, one of our other machines (guest bedroom) runs through a $90 lowest-end Pioneer amp (doesn't even have remote) and some cheap $80 Yamaha speakers, and for most practical uses it's just as good.

Once you get the sound out to some decent speakers, you can decide whether you really want to spend money on a new sound card. Personally I think you can only hear sound card quality differences in music, not in games (unless you're talking about surround vs. non-surround, for games that support it), and unless you're a semi-pro musician, you can lump music sound quality into two categories: good and not so good. Typically the on-motherboard sound options, particularly the ones that do most of the wave work in software instead of hardware, are in the not-so-good category -- not bad, just not great, and virtually ALL add-in cards are really good. But I believe in CM you'll never notice the difference.

Also, if you're REALLY dedicated, search the web and learn how to properly arrange your speakers for seating position -- having the speakers about one foot from the walls helps tremendously, and having them aimed properly helps a lot, too. It can make a system sound completely different. I did it in the living room recently and was completely amazed at the difference using exactly the same equipment.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Heh... I see everybody else gave FULL details, so I left off some critical specs... add: 250MB Zip drive, floppy drive :D , Pioneer DVD drive, Matsu****a CDRW (ATA133 = 32X burn), case window w/ purty lights (red cold cath) and silver-wrapped circular IDE cables, EnerMax 450W PSU, and the IT7 MAX on-board Dolby 5.1 surround over optical connection to the audio equipment I listed above. Microsoft USB keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer, and oh yes, a ViewSonic pro-series 21" monitor and an NEC AccuSync 22" monitor.

My office is very, very hot these days. Soon my computer equipment will require a window A/C unit in the office... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Andreas:

What's that fog issue? The ATI Rage on the Mac does fog just fine, unless I am suffering from too little drugs.

That's a PC only issue. ATI does fog just fine for macs.

8600/250 with 400Mhz processor upgrade, Radeon 32MB card, 224MB RAM, 3 SCSI hard drives of various sizes (about 20 gigs total), zip 100, Panasonic 20" screen.

Used to have a second screen (17" Sony) hooked to it, enabling nice chat sessions during an IP match. PC stole the second screen, see below..

I also have an Athlon XP1800+ but I haven't seen the reason to switch email+CM to it. Not yet anyway, maybe for CMBB...

I recently upgraded my old P2-233 with a system I found on e-bay. The price was right, and judging by the specs it seemed capable of running what few games I played, so I snagged it. What I didn't count on was the size of the freaking thing! Luckily the door to my computer room / den was just big enough to get it inside.

Here is a pic of the delivery guys getting it thru the door:

Delivery guys w/ new computer

Here is the same pic but from the inside. Note the size of my den. I had it added to my house just to accomodate the new computer:

New computer inside Den

Here is a pic of the new computer getting hooked up. Note my old P2-233 next to it. Quite an upgrade, don't you think?

New computer / old computer

Finally, here is my computer room after everything is set up and ready to go:

My new computer

I had to move some furniture around, and had to get rid of an old bookcase to make room, but for the most part it was a painless upgrade.

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to trying out all those new Doodads in CMBB :D

Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

Alienware

Pentium 4 1.7g

512mb ram

GeForce 4 ti4400

soundblaster live through 4 digital speakers.

19" monitor

total war in my home!

lol, i think cmbb will run fine on this one!

SOunds like a great rig. You gotta love surround sound. I highly recomend the 4.1 klipch set. How are the Creative Audigy sound cards? I'm not a huge fan of Creative Labs, but the card recieced excelent reviews, i'm very pleased with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz though. I can't recomend it enough!

SOunds like a great rig. You gotta love surround sound. I highly recomend the 4.1 klipch set. How are the Creative Audigy sound cards? I'm not a huge fan of Creative Labs, but the card recieced excelent reviews, i'm very pleased with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz though. I can't recomend it enough!

oh it is! my girlfriend and i both have alienware's side by side, networked, high speed cable connection. the tcp/ip battles in our house are fierce! lol. i like the soundblaster but have heard turtle beach is better. haven't had any problems with the creative card though. windows xp is a little weird with it sometimes, i have to occasionally go back in and reset for four speakers, but other than that, not a hitch. i love those klipch speakers, at least what i have heard of from them at the store. right now i'm using the cambridge soundworks digital surrounds and am very happy with them. nothing like gaming in full surround. we have been into neverwinter nights lately too and it absolutely rocks on our systems!

AMD Athlon XP 1700 1.5 Ghz...Asus A7V266-E...Antec Case with all the fans I can cram in there smile.gif ...Creative Audigy Gamer soundcard...Will purchase the creative Inspire 5.1 speaker system soon...Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm HD...512 DDR...Geforce 3 Not sure exact model but it was one of the better ones at the time by visiontek 64mb...running cable through a D-link ethernet card...the cable modem is crap, will replace soon.

That is a very nice rig you got there kingfish. I love the final arrangement to the room but it seems a little small unless of course you plan on further expanding it when upgrading next. No really Kingfish that was funny. I enjoyed it, thanks for the early morning laugh. smile.gif

For the record, I have just upgraded from a 300Mhz iBook Mac with a 12 inch screen up to a 933Mhz G4 Mac with a 21 inch screen.

Now I can see where the map terrain tiles join, and all of a sudden in my latest PBEM game I have discovered all these hull-down subtleties that I never knew existed, and German AFVs are paying the price! The graphics are so much better, even the sound, too! Woo hoo! I can see!

So, for all those people struggling along on the equivalents of little iBooks or some other tiny screens, suddenly the game will seem so much easier when you can see everything in detail.

I used to race underpowered 125 and 250 cc motorcycles for several years, riding the poor little things to the max just to keep up with the big guys. Suddenly I came across a bike with serious power, and it all seemed so easy. All that underpowered training was really worthwhile.

Moral of the story is this: if you're playing on substandard equipment, you're on a high quality training course. The benefits will flow with the equipment upgrade. Hang in there!