Want to brush up on your tactics? Need to add to your home library? Books now on sale

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hey I just bought a $700 car. Runs great!

Anyway, how about the ENTIRE line from J.J.Fedorowicz? They have the most amazing books, and I really need an excuse to buy "Panzertaktik"! Also,, how about those OOB booklets from Neihorster? Man, I would love to get a few of those, but they are hard to find. I also agree witrh regimental histories (as well as the "Abteilung Histories" of some famous tank abteilungs) and MAPS MAPS MAPS!

Have you read the history of Panzer Regiment GD yet? (Not the Korps history by Spaeter but the Pz Regt one).

I just bought it finally, along with volume 3 of Spaeter.

Why don't German historians like putting dates or names of commanders in their histories? Both books were written by wartime vets of the GD Division, but they seem more like a collection of short stories. They are not bad books, they are very engaging, but for someone trying to do serious research

And the maps don't have a key to a lot of the symbols used.

Are all of Fedorowicz's translated books like that?

MD, are you talking about that "Spearpoint" book? No, haven't bought it since it looks like a rehash of Squadron/Signals book. I have seen excerpts from the rest of their books, and would like to get the following? Panzertaktik, Tigers in Combat 1 & 2, some of the Abteilung Histories (especially 653 w/ Ferdinands and 654 w/ Jagdpanthers) as well as the acclaimed small book "7,000 Kilometers in a Sturmgeschutz".

As for buying them, well, I just bought a $700 car, do you really think I could afford their books?? (I am trying to get ahold of them through Inter-library loan.)

MD, are you talking about that "Spearpoint" book? No, haven't bought it since it looks like a rehash of Squadron/Signals book. I have seen excerpts from the rest of their books, and would like to get the following? Panzertaktik, Tigers in Combat 1 & 2, some of the Abteilung Histories (especially 653 w/ Ferdinands and 654 w/ Jagdpanthers) as well as the acclaimed small book "7,000 Kilometers in a Sturmgeschutz".

As for buying them, well, I just bought a $700 car, do you really think I could afford their books?? (I am trying to get ahold of them through Inter-library loan.)

No, I mean PANZER SOLDIERS FOR GOD, HONOR, FATHERLAND - 400+ pages, 200+ photos, all written by a GD panzer commander in 2000.

PL - I just looked up those books, Panzertaktik and Tigers in Combat 1, and 2. For the price that they wont for both of them was $135.00. Now I see why you can't afford them. I will have to take out a loan just to get them :D

Originally posted by Priest:

Actually it is 585.00 dollars but who is counting.

It costs to go fast and do it in style.

Do not worry Matt at this rate BTS will be most likely outpace the car by say...when was that CMBB release date again? :D

Priest - I don't know where you got your quote from. But the books that I mention is from the Nafziger Collection site. And they want $85.00 for Panzertaktik which is a hardcover book. Either way I will have to put it on layaway :D

LOL... let's see...

</font>

• Combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653</font>
  • Das Reich, I & II</font>
  • Decision in the Ukraine Summer 1943 11 SS and III Panzerkorps</font>
  • Prinz Eugen</font>
  • Grossdeutschland, I, II, & III</font>
  • The Liebstandarte, III, IV/1, & IV/2</font>
  • Combat History of Sturmgeschutz-Brigade 276</font>
  • PanzerTruppen, I & II</font>
  • Last Victory in Russia</font>
  • Panzertaktik</font>
  • Michael Wittman and the Tiger Commanders of the Liebstandarte</font>
  • German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front
    </font>

Now you all know why I have a P.O.S. computer...

[ June 13, 2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

LOL... let's see...

</font>

• Combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653</font>
  • Das Reich, I & II</font>
  • Decision in the Ukraine Summer 1943 11 SS and III Panzerkorps</font>
  • Prinz Eugen</font>
  • Grossdeutschland, I, II, & III</font>
  • The Liebstandarte, III, IV/1, & IV/2</font>
  • Combat History of Sturmgeschutz-Brigade 276</font>
  • PanzerTruppen, I & II</font>
  • Last Victory in Russia</font>
  • Panzertaktik</font>
  • Michael Wittman and the Tiger Commanders of the Liebstandarte</font>
  • German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front
    </font>

Now you all know why I have a P.O.S. computer...

A very good collection of books for your library. Did you read them all or just look at the pictures :D How long did it take you to collect all those books?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Ja, Ja, Herr Oberst - but what are your thoughts on the German histories? They certainly don't have the same flow as a British or Canadian history.

Is that an advantage or a disadvantage, in your opinion?

You mean there are other histories???

Seriously? Sometimes they are quite dry (Prinz Eugen is fairly dessicated...), but there are also some very good sections as well. You need to read them all with a grain of salt. The GD history is probably the best I have read thus far. The Liebstandarte was good, and was accompanied by a small map book. If only more histories came with larger map books, that would be wonderful. Especially concerning the Eastern Front. I've started a plan to go visit the Library of Congress to obtain copies of the available Truppenkarte (topographical maps), but that has to happen during the work day as the map room is only open from about 9 to 5.

I am now beginning Das Reich II (and getting ready to order Das Reich III). I'm also about halfway into "Two Sides of the Beach", concerning Normandy of course, which is interesting because it includes anecdotes from both sides of the fence about the same action.

Volley back to you... Do you have 2 or 3 Canadian or British histories to recommend? I'd hate to read a really bad one, review your post, and have that forever paint you as a Nong in my brain... hehe...

Originally posted by: Ozzie Osborne

A very good collection of books for your library. Did you read them all or just look at the pictures How long did it take you to collect all those books?

That was most of them, but there are others that are more general. I do have to say that I haven't bought any of the "photo histories" that are out... How long collecting/reading? About three or four years. Different people have different vices. Other than the occasional bottle of 16-18 year old single malt, mine would be books. An hour a night is my "unwind time."

Herr Oberst - the all-time best unit history for the Commonwealth is 'The South Albertas' by Donald Graves. Worth every penny. Another one I enjoyed although it is very different, is 'The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1939-1945' by Major Godfrey, MC.

There are a lot of German divisional histories in German. Check for them on Ebay. As long as they are not fancy (i.e. Panzer or SS unit histories), they go cheap too. I just bought an original 1941 training booklet 'Tactics for the reinforced infantry battalion' for Euro 5.50.

An interesting one I really had to pay for is Esteban-Infantes 'Die Blaue Division'. The guy is a right old fascist (he was the second GOC of the Blue Division), and writes crap like 'our brave soldiers fought to the last with a smile on their faces.' Makes you retch, but if you get past that, it is a very interesting historical document, and contains a lot of information on the actions.

In the 1950s, an outfit called Scharnhorst Buchkameradschaft or somefink published a series of vignettes dealing with specific combat actions. I now own (through Ebay.de) 'Der Kampf um die baltischen inseln 1917-1945' and 'Gebirgsjaeger zwischen Don und Dnjepr', an analysis of fighting of XXIVth (? - whatever, some Roman numeral) Gebirgsjaegerkorps in the autumn/winter campaign 1941/42. Excellent maps, in both of them. The books were often found in Bundeswehr barracks libraries it seems.

Regarding what Battlefront should be offering here. I would welcome easy access to stuff that I can not get through e.g. Amazon. So, that would be publications in English or German about the war in the Soviet Union, e.g. memoirs by Soviet officers. Also, Battlefront.com could try and make a deal with Colonel Glantz to make his unpublished studies (e.g. Vistula-Oder operation) available. I'd buy it.

Originally posted by Scipio:

Why are books like this not available in German? The world is so unfair! :(

Some of the unit history titles you see are actually English translations of original German works, and other books I have examined actually have dual text, German and English. Makes for an extremely large book though...

A word on the Nafziger Collection. I had recently ordered the 4 volumes dealing with the US order of battle and TOE. I checked on the information listed for the 70th Infantry Division, one which I am very familiar with...

The listing was replete with errors. I sent Mr. Nafziger an email with corrections which he did receive and replied. Hopefully, these corrections will be in a future revised edition.

The point, just be careful when using it as a source. Double check another source if you have it.

The books are worth it just for the shear magnitude of the information in the volumes.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

[QBWell, if its not too early to start asking:

Maps! Maps! Maps!

WWB[/QB]

Well!!!

Go empty your mailbox you nong! There are two more queued up that got bounced last night...

Russland 1 : 50000 Truppenkarte L-57-6-B (I think, at work right now, maps at home) Dmitrijewka

2 files, northern portion of east part of map and southern portion of eastern part of map. Along the Mius River, Dmitrijewka, Gerassimova, Stepanowka area.

Should go well with the "Decision in the Ukraine, Summer 1943, 11 SS and III Panzerkorps" book, should you pick it up.

[ June 14, 2002, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Herr Oberst ]

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

[QBWell, if its not too early to start asking:

Maps! Maps! Maps!

WWB

Well!!!

Go empty your mailbox you nong! There are two more queued up that got bounced last night...

Russland 1 : 50000 Truppenkarte L-57-6-B (I think, at work right now, maps at home) Dmitrijewka

2 files, northern portion of east part of map and southern portion of eastern part of map. Along the Mius River, Dmitrijewka, Gerassimova, Stepanowka area.

Should go well with the "Decision in the Ukraine, Summer 1943, 11 SS and III Panzerkorps" book, should you pick it up.[/QB]</font>

• 2 weeks later...

Frenchy thanks for the note. however about the german TOEs they are all pretty nice and good, as they are extracted from original papers and Tissen books I think that they are very good.

however i must say that nafzinger (his-self) books about inf units, panzer units and SS are one of the best compilations on those topic OOBs in english! they have minor typo error (very bad from his part) but nothing large. u must remeber that in nafzinger collection there are several authos listed (included Glantz books)

unfortunatly i have already ordered some of the book there (german pz tactics, and inf tactics) from nafzinger collection itself bt maybe will oprder soviet ones. however the guys at battlefront don´t win nothing with this, because in the nafzinger collection site those books are the same price

Originally posted by Frenchy:

A word on the Nafziger Collection. I had recently ordered the 4 volumes dealing with the US order of battle and TOE. I checked on the information listed for the 70th Infantry Division, one which I am very familiar with...

The listing was replete with errors. I sent Mr. Nafziger an email with corrections which he did receive and replied. Hopefully, these corrections will be in a future revised edition.

The point, just be careful when using it as a source. Double check another source if you have it.

The books are worth it just for the shear magnitude of the information in the volumes.

Scottb just sent me a snippet regarding GD (very generous of him, so thanks again for your time Scott!), and it is at variance in a couple of places with the other reference works on GD. But I am not sure which is in error. The trouble with OB stuff is that there are different OBs for different units - authorized strength, actual strength, yada yada yada. You have take ALL of it with a grain of salt, and compare multiple sources to be truly secure.

Out of curiousity - which sources did you consult re: 70th Div that makes you sure Nafziger is incorrect? I know you've done a lot of primary research, so I don't doubt you are correct, but a glimpse at your methodology would be of interest to me.

PS - I finished Morgan's Stand and reviewed it at the depot - lovely little scenario!

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by wwb_99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

The currently featured books are just the begining. Let us know what other titles and types of books you would like to see.

Madmatt

Well, if its not too early to start asking:

Maps! Maps! Maps!

Firsthand accounts would be cool, as would low-level accounts of battles, etc. Basically good CM scenario material.

WWB</font>