Detecting AT mines with infantry?

Hi, I noticed that infantry does not spot AT mines, even when sitting on top of them for multiple turns.

Is there any way to detect them other than running an AFV over them?

P.S. they spot daisy-chain mines, of course, I'm talking about the real antitank mines.

Here is a closely related question. Do engineers spot anti-tank mines when they walk over them or spend time adjacent to those AT mines? :confused:

I have found that generally engineers do not spot AT mines even when walking over or spending time adjacent to the mines. :(:(

Cheers, Richard :D

I tried with rifle infantry and engineers and I did not notice any difference. No detection.

I have to say I am unhappy about that. Surely you can send a real-life engineers platoon behind your infantry and say "see if the street crossing is minded".

I was just playing a scenario against AI, with US attacking. My riflemen did notice AT mines on a road. At least I firmly believe they did the spotting, because although there was an HMC within the view, it was like 300 metres back and the GI's just next to the spot.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sergei:

I was just playing a scenario against AI, with US attacking. My riflemen did notice AT mines on a road. At least I firmly believe they did the spotting, because although there was an HMC within the view, it was like 300 metres back and the GI's just next to the spot.<hr></blockquote>

And do you know whether they were daisy-chain mines or the real thing?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Richard Cuccia, the PiggDogg:

Here is a closely related question. Do engineers spot anti-tank mines when they walk over them or spend time adjacent to those AT mines? :confused:

I have found that generally engineers do not spot AT mines even when walking over or spending time adjacent to the mines. :(:(

Cheers, Richard :D <hr></blockquote>

I have to agree on the spotting thing. The only time I've seen engineers do anything on buried AT mines is after one of my HTs or armor has been disabled. Then, they'll go to work on the minefield ... assuming there is not too much incoming.

From my experience all troops will spot AT mines with the same chance based on their experience level. I think that a squad of crack troops (or a sharpshooter) can spot mines better than regular or green troops. I haven't done a scientific test of this theory, however.

Goanna I'd be interested to know if you recall that troops of any flavor were able to spot buried AT mines at any time. I just threw together a quick test in which I had Green through Elite American Engineers squatting atop buried German AT mines for turn after turn (I got bored after 12 turns), not under fire and they didn't see anything (that I could tell, certainly no minefield signs) nor did they work on the minefields.

Oh, and after I took out the lone German pillbox that was padlocked facing the wrong way I won the game ... I am such a stud.

Joe

[Major Drunkinsale entering the scene]

Lieutenant Danker, take your engineers and stuff and get ready to move. Our armour will go through the village of Daddelheim tomorrow and I want you to find out whether the main crossing is mined.

Next morning, the tanks of CCR arrive and approach the crossing. Anxious for mines, the lead tankers look for the promised engineers, whom they find standing beside the crossing, smiling, chewing gums and winking the armour to continue over the crossing.

BLAMMM!

You slackers, you've been told to find out whether the crossing is minded, weren't you?

But - we did, or not?

Hello,

If I remember correctly, mine detection is not only quality-dependent but the speed of movement of your troops play also a role . If you have soldiers running, they have no chance of detection (or almost none).

I have often seen mines detected by units which haven't been moving for a while (overwatch). LOS quality is probably also involved.

Sig

Interestingly, was playing a scenario hotseat against myself. (For playtesting purposes, mind you. I am not that lonely.)

During that game, ended up with the better part of a platoon parked on an AT minefield, in Brush, for 5-7 turns. Note that they were under fire most of that time. But they never spotted the mines. Well, they did spot them, but only after my panther immobilized itself on them.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

Hi, I noticed that infantry does not spot AT mines, even when sitting on top of them for multiple turns.

Is there any way to detect them other than running an AFV over them?

<hr></blockquote>

Give your men 10-ton shoes

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sig:

If I remember correctly, mine detection is not only quality-dependent but the speed of movement of your troops play also a role . If you have soldiers running, they have no chance of detection (or almost none).

I have often seen mines detected by units which haven't been moving for a while (overwatch). LOS quality is probably also involved.

<hr></blockquote>

Once again, I am only talking about AT mines, and not daisy-chain AT mines.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sig:

Hello,

Sig<hr></blockquote>I would have thought that too, but in my test my engineers were Elite and they were sitting right on top of buried AT mines for more than 10 turns without spotting anything. There were not under fire, it was a nice day, etc. Now obviously one test is not conclusive by any means, but has anyone seen it happen WITHOUT vehicles around to trigger the mines?

Mind you I'm not even saying it SHOULD happen, I don't know, but it would be nice to find out what is supposed to happen and how.

Desertor, BOY do I remember VOT smile.gif But in that case at least some of the AT mines (if not all of them) were daisy chain mines and we're talking about buried AT mines.

Joe

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Joe Shaw ]</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SATCOM_Ranger:

Once any mines (AT or pers) are detected, are engineer squads capable of disabling them?<hr></blockquote>

Yes, it even goes pretty fast. But not when they are under fire.

How the engineers fail to see an AT minefield at all and then after the first vehicle explosion are suddenly capable of finding all the mines in the field is bejond me. See play above.

I thought it was just an abstraction, that 'in reality' the Engineers are just clearing a lane through a known minefield using their satchel charges. Not all the mines are gone, but there is an clear area that is 'marked' for units to go through.

They'd probably have to change that if we were allowed to adjust the shape of our minefields, buts thats a hope for the future. With that kind of system a long narrow field would be next to useless in most causes but a short and broad one would be more than worths its cost in points.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Equinox:

I thought it was just an abstraction, that 'in reality' the Engineers are just clearing a lane through a known minefield using their satchel charges. Not all the mines are gone, but there is an clear area that is 'marked' for units to go through.<hr></blockquote>

Engineers use satchels only for anti-personal mines. Anti-tank mines are removed "by hand", engineer squad is just sitting besides the minefield and in one magic moment, the AT mine marker dissapears.