CMBB "preview" in October CGW

Originally posted by Jarmo:

But.. but.. don't cults usually have a charismatic leader?

BFC staff... well...

Well.. maybe we are other kind of cult?

Can't be monarchy either.. that just doesn't have the right ring to it.

Maybe a dictatorship? Enlightened dictatorship?

Nahh.. just kidding.. we're a cult.

Screw that.....

I thought we were the CM Borg I were rather be a member of the BFC Borg Hive than any "cult". smile.gif

-tom w

[ August 29, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by murpes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The ol one eye.:

I also found out about CMBO through PC Gamer, it was the 'best of' issue a couple years back I think. It was just a little blurb about a revolutionary war game with a couple of old pics ( no mods even!) and I went online and ordered it the next day.

Thanks.

It was probably the same issue that turned me on to CMBO - "100 Greatest Games of All Time." Which would also explain why our member numbers are relatively close. I'd never played any war games, but figured if it was as good and revolutionary as they said it was I should give it a shot. They were right. I played the demo for about an hour before ordering my copy.</font>

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats right! And its not WWII unless you can play as the Holland army in 1940!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please, the world is watching...the Dutch army

In defence of the Dutch army, I would like to point out that they did manage to fend of elements of the SSLAH for four days in there defence of the "Grebbe Linie". More than 380 soldiers were killed in that defence. Also Dutch troops prevented German Fallschirmjager from capturing key airports around The Hague and also stopped them from imprisoning the Queen.

Not the most heroic battles maybe compared to others, but they are if one considers the state the Dutch army was in after the '30 depression period.

Mies

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Commissar:

"It's Not Really WW2 Until The Russians Show Up"

--Damn right

What about the Uzbekistanis, Ukrainians, Georgians, Azerbaijanis, etc?</font>

Originally posted by Mies:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />quote:

Thats right! And its not WWII unless you can play as the Holland army in 1940!

please, the world is watching...the Dutch army

In defence of the Dutch army, I would like to point out that they did manage to fend of elements of the SSLAH for four days in there defence of the "Grebbe Linie". More than 380 soldiers were killed in that defence. Also Dutch troops prevented German Fallschirmjager from capturing key airports around The Hague and also stopped them from imprisoning the Queen.

Not the most heroic battles maybe compared to others, but they are if one considers the state the Dutch army was in after the '30 depression period.

Mies</font>

Though i bought the game long before the PC Gamer top 50 games issue, wich is a trend they can't seem to stop ...top 10 games of 2003, top 10 games that won't see the light of day ect...where was I?

Oh yes, the point i was coming to is that there were some games on that top 50 list that i think CMBO should have beend ahead of. For example, Tribes, Beavis and Butt-Head, Worms series, No One Lives forever, Roller-Coaster Tycoon, UNreal Series, 1942 Pacific Air War, Star Control 2, Need for Speed series, Panzer General, NHL 2001,Tomb Raider, Age of Empires series, system Shock series, WarCraft series, Black and White,Quake series, Doom,C&C, Duke Nukem,MechWarrior2, Diablo series, and Star Craft.

[ August 29, 2002, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Gaylord Focker ]

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Oh yes, the point i was coming to is that there were some games on that top 50 list that i think CMBO should have beend ahead of.

I have always found "best of" lists in computer gaming magazines to be VERY idiosyncratic and virtually useless...unless one is preparing a paper on abnomal psychology or something of the sort. Let's face it, by and large computer gamers are a VERY weird bunch. We are probably fortunate that their fascination with what is on their screens at least keeps them off the streets and out of the affairs of decent people. Otherwise, we should surely be compelled to build more institutions for the criminally insane.

Michael

Originally posted by trouserchili:

just as an aside...

anyone else notice the "without permission" thingie under the main body of text in the picture?

I did and wondered about it.

What, are the sneaky buggers putting text on the page that only comes up if the page is scanned?
Interesting speculation. I noticed that it wasn't quite aligned with the rest of the text and wondered if the guy doing the scan hadn't had an attack of conscience and put that in himself. If he would care to come forward and clarify...

Michael

Originally posted by trouserchili:

just as an aside...

anyone else notice the "without permission" thingie under the main body of text in the picture?

What, are the sneaky buggers putting text on the page that only comes up if the page is scanned?

Just wondering.

Wonder no more. It's nothing so nefarious - it was just me having second thoughts about posting copy written material to a public forum. Obviously I did it anyway. It's one thing to credit your source, another to rip the source off entirely. Further details will be handled in the confessional this weekend.

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What about the Uzbekistanis, Ukrainians, Georgians, Azerbaijanis, etc?

Thats right! And its not WWII unless you can play as the Holland army in 1940!</font>