Ever lose an AFV to rifle fire?

In a recent QB against the AI (it was a boring night) I bought a marder III. After the game was just about won, I had the marder running around behind enemy lines chasing after a bren carrier. The marder was unbuttoned, and an enemy platoon HQ facing the marder's back began shooting at it from about 130 yards away, and killed my tank! Anyone have this happen to them?

I have, sir, in an ill-fated quick battle against my girlfriend. Actulally, mine died in just about the same fashion. I was trying to get a flank shot on one of her shermans that was wreaking havoc on my grenadiers in a building overlooking the main VL. From a group of tall pines, a volly of small arms KOs the poor Marder. Alas, she went on to win that battle, and I am to forever live that day in shame. :(

I've lost a real tank to rifle fire, not just an open-top SP gun. Of course, the Hotchkiss isn't much of a tank, but still ;) . What happened was the exposed TC got nailed. Because this tank only has 2 cremen, and there is some code in CM that makes it impossible for 1 man to continue, he bailed out, leaving the tank in an ABANDONED state.

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

In a recent QB against the AI (it was a boring night) I bought a marder III. After the game was just about won, I had the marder running around behind enemy lines chasing after a bren carrier. The marder was unbuttoned, and an enemy platoon HQ facing the marder's back began shooting at it from about 130 yards away, and killed my tank! Anyone have this happen to them?

In almost exactly the same situation. Marder III, from the rear, about 150m --- only it was a full Brit infantry squad.

Kinda funny, at first: The Brits were in a stand of trees and made a dash for the house my Marder was hiding behind --- just as my AFV pulled around the house and headed across the field. They passed each other at the mid-way point, ("Blimey, ain't that...?" "Was ist...?"), the Brits got to the house, rotated, and blasted the Marder just as it put on the brakes and started to pivot...

We all know that the Marder's armour was actually three layer of 24lb paper; the really thick paper was used to give them more protection from rocks flung up on the road.

The HQ must of been firing bullets at them, which is gamey, and they bullets penetrated the paper easily. Poor crew had no chance against bullets!

(IIRC, in ASL you could shoot them with small arms/MG's from the rear as if they were an unarmored vehicle; thus you could take them out quite easily with concentrated firepower.)

Chad

I lost a 20mm PSW234 to a squad of British para's.

At least I think so. No big explosions of any kind. Just suddenly a drooping gun and a running crew.

And CMBO most definitely does model top hits. I once had an arty round land smack in the back of an HT. Not a pretty picture.

And you can lose scores of tanks to strafing by airplanes.

[ February 05, 2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Sgt_Kelly ]

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

CMBO does not model Top Hits, and I haven't seen rifle fire knocking out open topped AFV's either so I suspect the answer is no. Losing them to VT Artillery Airbursts is another matter ;)

It does model top hits for artillery. I've lost lots of HTs and Pumas to mortar fire but never a tank.

Yeah, sorry guys for muddying the water. To clarify:

Artillery and aircraft can achieve Top Hits, small arms or tank guns etc. cannot.

I would assume you lost your Armoured Car to a Gammon Bomb if you were facing Paras, not rifle fire.

[ February 05, 2002, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

I haven't lost an open AFV to rifle fire, but I did kill one with it. 1 squad of British infantry in the upper level of a house KO'd a Marder III from the back at about 100m (too far for grenades) and the kill was credited to them.

Come to think of it, there's a fair bit of stuff in the manual that says open topped vehicles are vunerable to rifle fire from elevated positions.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Anyone have this happen to them?

Yes. Most annoying, but the penalty you pay for having an open rear in the fighting compartment. I bet it made for nasty ricochets in there.</font>

Off topic but read the book "Case Closed" and especially the chapter about that so-called magic bullet. It wasn't magic, it wasn't particularily a hard shot, and it is easily explained by body positions, firing velocities lost through the passage through body tissue, and the composition of the bullet. It is a pet peeve of mine since that ignorant propaganda movie JFK started making it 'common' stupidity that there was no realistic answer to the actual conditions of that bullet and what happened for it to be found in the stretcher after causing all the wounds. Sorry to rant but that is what pet peeves cause.

BDH - (time for a pain pill and a valium.)