Why can't we order CMBB via Federal Express?

Mike -

I don't think it would be as large a problem for various reasons, not the least of which is BFC would pass this charge on to its customers.

I got no problem paying more for FedEx service - I just want the option.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Mike -

I don't think it would be as large a problem for various reasons, not the least of which is BFC would pass this charge on to its customers.

Steve

They're going to hire extra staff just to handle the handful of extra orders? Put yourself in a small businessman's place. You have no idea how many Fedex orders you will receive. If it is less than 10 a day, you don't need the computer, but you still have to do the waybills by hand (press hard, you are making 4 or 5 copies). So you promise a Fed Ex option - but then out of the blue, you get 100 orders a day for a week. So you go out and hire extra staff, tell Fedex that yeah, you want to rent one of their computers to print out the waybills, then arrange for a time for Fedex to come and set up the equipment, which probably won't work right since it is all old, loaner stuff. Then you have your extra staff, who spend say 60 minutes processing the Fedex orders. What do they do for the rest of the day?

And what happens when one week you get 740 Fedex orders, and the next week you get 12? Lay off the extra help, or pay them for another week because maybe you'll get 1000 orders the next week?

I have no idea how BFC works, but I can see why they might want to avoid the whole question altogether.

Processing overnight courier stuff was the biggest pain in the ass at the company I worked for - we handled mostly local deliveries as well as Canada Post. Postage is great, run it through the meter, no special rates depending on state, 1 cost fits all US deliveries, same with Canadian, and finally foreign.

Within the US, Fedex charges different prices, as it all depends on state, meaning looking stuff up on special charts.

Then you have to arrange for a pick up by the Fedex dude, who has to sign each waybill individually.

Postage you just drop in the mail when it is convenient for you.

Just giving you my perspective, I understand what you are willing to pay - that is irrelevant compared to how conveniently BFC wants the distribution system to be. I would hope the main players are taking a vacation after putting the final game to bed - or maybe even working on the next one? ;) I should imagine that screwing around waiting for the Fedex guy every night (if he comes out to the BFC compound, that is) would be last on their priority list...

Mike -

Steve

They're going to hire extra staff just to handle the handful of extra orders? Put yourself in a small businessman's place. You have no idea how many Fedex orders you will receive. If it is less than 10 a day, you don't need the computer, but you still have to do the waybills by hand (press hard, you are making 4 or 5 copies). So you promise a Fed Ex option - but then out of the blue, you get 100 orders a day for a week. So you go out and hire extra staff, tell Fedex that yeah, you want to rent one of their computers to print out the waybills, then arrange for a time for Fedex to come and set up the equipment, which probably won't work right since it is all old, loaner stuff. Then you have your extra staff, who spend say 60 minutes processing the Fedex orders. What do they do for the rest of the day?

And what happens when one week you get 740 Fedex orders, and the next week you get 12? Lay off the extra help, or pay them for another week because maybe you'll get 1000 orders the next week?

I have no idea how BFC works, but I can see why they might want to avoid the whole question altogether.

Processing overnight courier stuff was the biggest pain in the ass at the company I worked for - we handled mostly local deliveries as well as Canada Post. Postage is great, run it through the meter, no special rates depending on state, 1 cost fits all US deliveries, same with Canadian, and finally foreign.

Within the US, Fedex charges different prices, as it all depends on state, meaning looking stuff up on special charts.

Then you have to arrange for a pick up by the Fedex dude, who has to sign each waybill individually.

Postage you just drop in the mail when it is convenient for you.

Just giving you my perspective, I understand what you are willing to pay - that is irrelevant compared to how conveniently BFC wants the distribution system to be. I would hope the main players are taking a vacation after putting the final game to bed - or maybe even working on the next one? ;) I should imagine that screwing around waiting for the Fedex guy every night (if he comes out to the BFC compound, that is) would be last on their priority list...

Fedexing and UPSing have got a bit easier in the electronic age. Both have web based offerings, and UPS also has a LAN based offering.

You can import address data into both, bill your account, and print out labels on a laser printer if need be. No filling out of waybills, etc.

But I suspect BTS does not do their own shipping, that is likely outsourced for an operation of their size and they probably have little control over shipping options.

WWB

Fedexing and UPSing have got a bit easier in the electronic age. Both have web based offerings, and UPS also has a LAN based offering.

You can import address data into both, bill your account, and print out labels on a laser printer if need be. No filling out of waybills, etc.

But I suspect BTS does not do their own shipping, that is likely outsourced for an operation of their size and they probably have little control over shipping options.

WWB

No offense Michael but it doesn't sound like you worked for fedex smile.gif . The shipping dept can get free software (1 cd) that will allow them to automate their shipping on their own computer(s) and printers. It doesn't require 'loaner' equipment from fedex, though you can get it and it's not falling apart. The 'loaner' equipment is nothing more than a label-maker that attaches like any other printer to a computer. There's not 5+ copies to press through if doing the air way bills by hand; there's only two and the airbill peels off the back to attach to the box. You wouldn't have to fill out the forms by hand anyway even with just a few orders at a time; just use the automated computer proggy. It prints out the address and even the barcodes for you on a label that peels off the back to attach to the box (called a power-ship label). Fedex supplies are all free, including the boxes.

It doesn't require alot of extra staff at all. 1-3 people could do many many orders; I've seen it in action at more than a few businesses; mostly warehouse shipping depts. It's all about ease of shipping. It's no hassel to get the fedex guy to come pick them up either. All they have to do is schedule a regular pickup at a certain time in the afternoon and the fedex person will drive by every day on his route to check for packages.

You have a fedex account; shipping gets charged to your account. You dont have to look up anything on special charts, the pickup person will do this; however if you're using a fedex account you'd have a rate worked out between your company and fedex, set up by the sales rep.

Sign each waybill individually? Never had to do that before. We don't sign any waybills that I can think of right off hand. If there's a huge shipping amount there's a signoff sheet but it's like a summary only, not individual air way bills.

Alot of mis-information here :(

-Tiger

[ July 25, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Tiger ]

No offense Michael but it doesn't sound like you worked for fedex smile.gif . The shipping dept can get free software (1 cd) that will allow them to automate their shipping on their own computer(s) and printers. It doesn't require 'loaner' equipment from fedex, though you can get it and it's not falling apart. The 'loaner' equipment is nothing more than a label-maker that attaches like any other printer to a computer. There's not 5+ copies to press through if doing the air way bills by hand; there's only two and the airbill peels off the back to attach to the box. You wouldn't have to fill out the forms by hand anyway even with just a few orders at a time; just use the automated computer proggy. It prints out the address and even the barcodes for you on a label that peels off the back to attach to the box (called a power-ship label). Fedex supplies are all free, including the boxes.

It doesn't require alot of extra staff at all. 1-3 people could do many many orders; I've seen it in action at more than a few businesses; mostly warehouse shipping depts. It's all about ease of shipping. It's no hassel to get the fedex guy to come pick them up either. All they have to do is schedule a regular pickup at a certain time in the afternoon and the fedex person will drive by every day on his route to check for packages.

You have a fedex account; shipping gets charged to your account. You dont have to look up anything on special charts, the pickup person will do this; however if you're using a fedex account you'd have a rate worked out between your company and fedex, set up by the sales rep.

Sign each waybill individually? Never had to do that before. We don't sign any waybills that I can think of right off hand. If there's a huge shipping amount there's a signoff sheet but it's like a summary only, not individual air way bills.

-Tiger

[ July 25, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Tiger ]

Originally posted by Tiger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Within the US, Fedex charges different prices, as it all depends on state, meaning looking stuff up on special charts.

-Tiger</font>

Originally posted by Tiger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Within the US, Fedex charges different prices, as it all depends on state, meaning looking stuff up on special charts.

-Tiger</font>

IIRC, BTS has mentioned that their delivery is outsourced. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I believe that the game is stored at the outsourcer's warehouse, and BTS just tells them what to send where after they have received the order. Thus, the use of Fed Ex would depend on the arrangement with the fulfillment company (or whatever they call that). If the fulfillment company had enough different things to ship out every day (i.e., not all CM), FedEx might be very easy to implement. If not, it would probably be impossible. The only point to my post is that it would cost more than 7-10 dollars for fed ex, which a lot of people might be willing to pay. (I'd rather not pay a lot for shipping, although my discipline might well crack on or about Sept 20). smile.gif

IIRC, BTS has mentioned that their delivery is outsourced. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I believe that the game is stored at the outsourcer's warehouse, and BTS just tells them what to send where after they have received the order. Thus, the use of Fed Ex would depend on the arrangement with the fulfillment company (or whatever they call that). If the fulfillment company had enough different things to ship out every day (i.e., not all CM), FedEx might be very easy to implement. If not, it would probably be impossible. The only point to my post is that it would cost more than 7-10 dollars for fed ex, which a lot of people might be willing to pay. (I'd rather not pay a lot for shipping, although my discipline might well crack on or about Sept 20). smile.gif

We should ignore any posts made by Mr. Spkr and those of his ilk between the release of CMBB and whenever they actually get their hands on a copy.

I don't expect to see any posts in that period. However, if one of them escapes his restraints we shouldn't hold thier mad ravings against 'em.

We should ignore any posts made by Mr. Spkr and those of his ilk between the release of CMBB and whenever they actually get their hands on a copy.

I don't expect to see any posts in that period. However, if one of them escapes his restraints we shouldn't hold thier mad ravings against 'em.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay the additional $7-8 for shipping the game overnight via FedEx.

Steve

If you have an extra $7-8 laying around, I recommend you spend it on upgrading your so-called "computer" that breaks down every time you get cornered by us experts. For that kind of cash, you could probably double the power of your Amiga with the 8 color screen or even get one that runs on electricity.

You're welcome. I'm always glad to help the needy.

[ July 26, 2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay the additional $7-8 for shipping the game overnight via FedEx.

Steve

If you have an extra $7-8 laying around, I recommend you spend it on upgrading your so-called "computer" that breaks down every time you get cornered by us experts. For that kind of cash, you could probably double the power of your Amiga with the 8 color screen or even get one that runs on electricity.

You're welcome. I'm always glad to help the needy.

[ July 26, 2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Lawyer ]

For what it is worth, I just received my Airborne Assult game today. It was shipped on 7/23 and arrived via USPS in good condition and took only 3 days time. The game was ordered on or about the 20th as that's the date I received notice I won the combatsim contest where this was the prize.

Just thought this might be interesting as it tends to show about how long it takes.

For what it is worth, I just received my Airborne Assult game today. It was shipped on 7/23 and arrived via USPS in good condition and took only 3 days time. The game was ordered on or about the 20th as that's the date I received notice I won the combatsim contest where this was the prize.

Just thought this might be interesting as it tends to show about how long it takes.

Wait until they're flooded with orders for CMBB.

That will probably be the only time there will be a lot of complaints about shipping. Once all the components are in the warehouse it may take several days to a week to package all the individual orders up for shipping with BTS/BFC's current order fulfillment house (which was in Vermont last I had heard). Within the US, USPS should normally only take a week to get it to the furthest continental address.

Wait until they're flooded with orders for CMBB.

That will probably be the only time there will be a lot of complaints about shipping. Once all the components are in the warehouse it may take several days to a week to package all the individual orders up for shipping with BTS/BFC's current order fulfillment house (which was in Vermont last I had heard). Within the US, USPS should normally only take a week to get it to the furthest continental address.