Problems with 8800 GXT and Vista Ultimate 64

I'm not sure if this helps (or even whether BF are looking into this) but as an experiment I put CMBO onto my VISTA machine and it doesn't have the same issue - the issue is only with CMBB and CMAK. Is there any chance that helps you at BF diagnose a work round until the drivers are fixed by NVIDIA ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if you're running in 'software rendering' mode with CMBO ? That is one of the primary differences with CMBO and the latter CMBB & CMAK. Software rendering utilizes the CPU to push all of the polygons and textures rather than the videocard's GPU. This typically resulted in lower performance and required downsampling of the textures to control bandwidth, which didn't look "pretty" and most users considered it a last resort option.

CMBO supported 640x480 resolution while the later titles don't; they needed 800x600 minimum resolution for the control interface at the bottom. Thus CMBO had a 'software rendering' mode which ran at 640x480 and used downsampling to control the texture bandwidth. CMBB & CMAK had larger textures and a lot more of them, so it was decided that 'software rendering' wouldn't be appropriate for those titles and the feature was removed (these are the details to my knowledge).

You may want to delete your CMBO Prefs file and go through the resolution selection process again and pay very close attention to see what you're being offered and what you're selecting during the process.

Unfortunately the CMx1 series is considered a "finished" product and no more patches/changes are being done to the games (with the sole exception of some changes to CMBB for Combat Mission Campaigns - and that is just to support the external game in a somewhat minimal manner). The only thing to do is to hound Nvidia (via their NVIDIA Windows Vista Graphics Driver Bug Report page) to fix the driver. If they see enough demand for it and can get the appropriate details on the problem they may look into it. (You may want to point them to the Demo downloads just in case, since this isn't a super-popular title)

[ August 01, 2007, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I don't think I am running "software rendering" mode with CMBO since I am running at 1024 x 768 @ 75 hz.

Is "software rendering" mode automatically switched on at 640 x 480 ?

Anyhow, following up I have run at a variety of resolutions to see if it makes a difference.

I ran CMBO at each of :

1600 x 1200 @ 60 hz

1024 x 768 @ 75 hz

640 x 480 @ 60 hz

I ran either CMBB or CMAK at each of :

1600 x 1200 @ 60 hz

1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz

1024 x 768 @ 75 hz

800 x 600 @ 75 hz

The results were the same :

CMBO never had the problem at any resolution.

CMBB and CMAK always had the problem at every resolution.

In my original bug report to NVIDIA I only mentionned the game title so I will try your advice and re-post a bug report with a link to the demo page.

"When I try to run either CMbb or CMAK everything looks good until I get I rotate the display. When I do this the background, or part of the terain that is not part of the battle stays looks like it is moving very fast. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and If anybody had any sugestions on how to fix it."

I had this problem with Vista 32, but it went away when I upgraded my NVidia driver for my 8400GS to level 162.22 - also did about 700 MB of Vista downloads/upgrades.

Ok - You're dealing with a dunce here. Just got a new computer with the Nvidia 8800 and I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the very first post. Can someone please explain to a dummy what this entails step by step:

Troubleshooting note:

I have tried different refresh rates

I have tried turing all graphics options to off in my NVIDIA control panel.

I have uninstalled my display driver and reinstalled. Current as of 2.20.07

I have updated all of my mother board drivers

(Nvidia 590 chipset)

I have updated my bios.

I am not running SLI

I have tried compatability mode

I have defraged my hard drive.

The NVIDIA control panel doesn't exactly match "refresh rates" or "all graphics off". I have gone there and turned everything "off" as best as I could determine. I have the latest Jul 2007 driver update installed. Since this computer is brand spanking new not sure about the 590 chipset or bios updates. Don't think I need to defrag just yet. What's "SLI"? What's "Compatibilty Mode"?

Very frustrating - was looking forward to playing CMBB.

Think I posted to the wrong NVIDIA forum:

Ok - You're dealing with a dunce here. Just got a new computer with the Nvidia 8800 and I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the very first post. Can someone please explain to a dummy what this entails step by step:

Troubleshooting note:

I have tried different refresh rates

I have tried turing all graphics options to off in my NVIDIA control panel.

I have uninstalled my display driver and reinstalled. Current as of 2.20.07

I have updated all of my mother board drivers

(Nvidia 590 chipset)

I have updated my bios.

I am not running SLI

I have tried compatability mode

I have defraged my hard drive.

The NVIDIA control panel doesn't exactly match "refresh rates" or "all graphics off". I have gone there and turned everything "off" as best as I could determine. I have the latest Jul 2007 driver update installed. Since this computer is brand spanking new not sure about the 590 chipset or bios updates. Don't think I need to defrag just yet. What's "SLI"? What's "Compatibilty Mode"?

Very frustrating - was looking forward to playing CMBB.

There isn't much we can do at this time since development of the older CMx1 based games has been over for years.

Officially CMBO, BB and AK do not support Vista but they should still work.

The 8800 series of cards and their drivers seem to be problem magnets and nVidia has been less enthusiastic (even with CMSF) to update their drivers to fix various bugs we have reported to them.

All the same, I will see if Charles can have a look at the older games once he gets his new 8800 based system, but I can not promise anything because as I said above, technically we are no longer working on these older games.

Madmatt

Originally posted by renaldo:

I'm not sure if this helps (or even whether BF are looking into this) but as an experiment I put CMBO onto my VISTA machine and it doesn't have the same issue - the issue is only with CMBB and CMAK. Is there any chance that helps you at BF diagnose a work round until the drivers are fixed by NVIDIA ?

Hi!

Same for me.

8800 GTS 640MB on Vista 32bit; Asus P5B-Deluxe MoBo (P965 Chipset), 4Gig Ram, Core2duo@3Ghz rig

CM:BO works fine, BB and AK show this background problem. I hope Charles can fix this once he got his 8800 rig.

cheers

@ Brauer Duck

Do you know which updates for Vista you installed ? I have only installed 938194 (which is 2.1 MB) and still get the same problem. I'm also using driver 162.22.

@ MajorCyco

I have the 8600GTS card and at least the CM:SF Demo works fine for me - but I don't have the full game so I can't vouch for that.

Originally posted by Commander Z:

[...] our problems with Vista and 8800 Cards (i think it is a problem with DX10).

No, it is most likely not a Vista or DX10 problem. On my second machine (Core2duo, Vista64bit and Nvidia 7950GT) everything works perfectly ok for BB and AK. No strange background/horizon problems whatsoever.

The problem is most likely due to the 8800GTS doing something differently than the 7950GT does. I wonder, however, if there is a problem with 8800s in XP also ?

cheers

I have got it to work yesterday!

I have added a new application profile for CM 2 in the Nvidia control panel. There i set almost every feature to the highest quality.

But with this settings scrolling and camera control is a little bit slow. The next time i will try to decrease the quality setting a little bit. Hope, there ist a compromise of a WORKING CM2, quality and interface performance.

I have added a new application profile for CM 2 in the Nvidia control panel. There i set almost every feature to the highest quality.

But with this settings scrolling and camera control is a little bit slow. The next time i will try to decrease the quality setting a little bit. Hope, there ist a compromise of a WORKING CM2, quality and interface performance.

That did the trick! Both AK and BB work flawless now. Thanks a bunch smile.gif

All this with VISTA 32bit, a NVIDIA 8800 GTS 640Mb and Forceware 163.44.

Thanks again! Great finding.

cheers

Helge

[ August 24, 2007, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: The DesertFox ]

Unfortunately I don't think this is a universal fix, at least with CMBB and CMAK. (To be honest, I haven't played CMBO since CMBB came out.) I've tried adjusting universal settings as well as individual application profiles without any improvement. The uber clunky movement remains, although FWIW I don't have an 8800, my set up is:

A desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with 2 Gig of RAM, a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, and running Windows Home Premium Vista 32bit.

I have found that to run CM 2 and CMAK on Vista 64 with my 8800GTX I need to have Anti Aliasing Mode on Override Program setting and then X2 Antialiasing enabled in the driver.

In my case its all thats required although both CM2 and CMAK run slowly.

CMBO is fine and runs great.

Yes, you are right Nuro. It is only the antialiasing to be set.

But CMBB runs so slow, that it is no real fun to play it. I hope i can find a solution for that. Although i bought CMSF and playing it at the moment, it would be nice to play CMBB too. Because it is a very different setting (as are CMBO and CMAK).

So please post it if you find a solution.

Originally posted by Nuro:

I have found that to run CM 2 and CMAK on Vista 64 with my 8800GTX I need to have Anti Aliasing Mode on Override Program setting and then X2 Antialiasing enabled in the driver.

In my case its all thats required although both CM2 and CMAK run slowly.

CMBO is fine and runs great.

I confirm, this fix do work, but the framerate remains rather low, almost unplayable. Time is now to find the proper settings to enhance performance. I admitt my lack of knowledge for most settings within the Nvidia control pannel though.

Running on Vista (32b)

AMD duo core 4000+

2GB ram

Nvidia 8600GT (Forceware 163.44 drivers)

JV

I also now have CMAK and CMBB running ok with this fix.

I'm sure we all have different views on acceptable speed but my experience with framerate / speed of running would seem to be different judging from the posts. For sure it runs noticeably slower than CMBO which runs fully smooth on my machine. However, I would still not describe it as running slow and for me is fully playable "with margin to spare". This while playing Ariete the Ram which has quite alot of forces involved.

One thing I notice is that most of you seem to be on driver 163.44 while I'm still on 162.22. No idea if that could make a difference in speed.

My system is Vista 32 bit (with update 938194 the only one I've added), Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600 GTS.

I have no idea about optimising settings but in the performance section I set it to the "maximum performance / minimum concern for energy saving" setting. If anyone wants to know other settings I have that might be a reason why it runs fast enough on my machine let me know what and where I find it and I'll be happy to look and post.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone worked out the optimum settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel for the slow frame rate problem? If so can you post them for me please.

I have a 8800GTS and Vista 64. CMAK works fine (the background doesn't spin any more), but as previously mentioned it doesn't run smoothly.

Thanks,

Dinga smile.gif