Question about the Sherman

Was it possible for the Sherman tank to take out a tiger hitting it from the front at over 1500m away? I know there are alternate configurations of the sherman, just dont know to much about that particular tank. I was just curious, heard some relatives talking about how they had to get real damn close to them to be effective. :confused:

Originally posted by TerrorX:

Was it possible for the Sherman tank to take out a tiger hitting it from the front at over 1500m away? I know there are alternate configurations of the sherman, just dont know to much about that particular tank. I was just curious, heard some relatives talking about how they had to get real damn close to them to be effective. :confused:

mostly NO!

If it was a 76 mm Sherm and it fired HVAP (tungsten) there might be a SLIM chance in CMBO they it could get a "weak spot penetration"

but (Unless I am mistaken) other than that

you had "to get real damn close to them to be effective", preferably from the side or REAR.

I'm sure others will jump in here with more relevant stats and opinions.

-tom w

Originally posted by TerrorX:

A Sherman with 75mm: no chance except for a weak point hit. Extremely rare.

Sherman with a 76mm: Easily can kill a Tiger at 1500m with Tungsten. But if a typical Sherman only carries 2-4 Tungsten rounds per vehicle, they may run out of tungsten before they even hit the Tiger. It will typically take 3-4 shots just to hit a still target at 1500m range(normal crews)

76mm with normal AP can probably kill a Tiger at about 1000m depending on where the hit falls.

Interesting note: A Tiger has difficulty killing a Sherman's frontal armor at 1500m. If the round hits the Sherman's turret, then you've got a dead Sherman. But, the upper hull is well sloped and can shrug off the 88mm rounds. In my test the 88mm did some "internal armor flaking" on the upper hull but only got kills on the turret.

By the way, my test used the Easy 8 Shermans Vs. Tiger VIe and VIe (late) and was actually at about 1600m

Originally posted by Warmaker:

The British Fireflies are the only Sherman tanks worth their salt IMO. Their 17 pdrs are to be respected by any Axis armor fan.

Although I would agree that the Firefly is an excellent tank for a Sherman,it still is an "eggshell armed with a sledge hammer". I think the only Sherman that has a chance in a stand up fight with a Tiger I is a Jumbo 76. But if I remember correctly only about 250 of these "assault Shermans" were manufactured before the war ended.