Interest in Sound Mod Manager for Mac?

Fellow mac users:

Anyone interested in a mac manager for different sounds?

Let us know, and we'll see what we can do.

Either Bsoplinger or the MDMP team will look into what it would take to create a program. Not sure we can easily do it, so I'd like to see if there's any interest in one.

Thanks!

dave

Thanks guys.

(blush)

I appreciate the comments, though the coding definately wasnt that slick (MCM3 was my first real application I've created. Learned alot from it, and from cleaning up the code for the next release).

From a coding standpoint, MacMod is really slick.

but seriously, this makes it all worth it. All the time spent getting it tested, improving it, fixing the bugs (I had a great test team in Michel and Toad. Cant say enough about them), and all the loss of sleep paid off.

in fact, it paid off last night when I accidently wiped out Graphics 4 (completely mod'd). only took about 10 minutes to do MDMP-1, 2, and third party mods that I wanted to try.

It sure would have taken a lot longer if I had to do it manually, that's for sure (those patches for MDMP-1 took forever and a day to do and test.)

As you use MCM3 (and MacMod) more, give us ideas on features you think may be needed. How can it be improved?

(I've already added a convert folder command for V1.1 (in addition to the convert selected)and cleaned up the revert bug that will crash MCM3 if you revert G13 back to the original, then click on a winter cammo texture. Doesnt like trying to access something that doesnt exist. smile.gif )

Other improvements as well. I hope to have v 1.1 out to test in about a week, and then release it a week or so after that.

and glad everyone gets to enjoy the mods that are out there. Been a while, but we beat the PC guys to the punch with the mod managers. biggrin.gif

lastly, let us know if there are incompatible textures (third party) that either dont work or have purple spots. That way we can get them fixed, or create a list to warn others.

And, have you guys done the Kelly's Heroes face mods? Too cool! (Oh, you *dont* have to delete the dash number before converting, as the program does it for you. What that means though is select which one you want to modify and then convert individually).

later!

dave

------------------

History is made at night

I've downloaded the latest sound mods and had a listen to them - some of them are outstanding. I especially like the bogged-immobilised sound, which is totally unmistakeable! Now all we need is some Mac genius to help us put them into CM.

Please could you have a go at it aikidorat/bsoplinger? Even an ugly hack would satisfy me, let alone a thing of beauty like your pic mod managers.

I agree with everyone else -- a Mac sound mod manager would be great! I enjoyed the new sounds in MDMP-1, and would very much like to use the sound pack converted from Panzer Elite.

Thanks for all the great work that folks have done on behalf of CM for the Mac!

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaded:

Any new news on this? With Ncrawler's 1.4 pack out, I'm trying to figure a way to get it installed on my Mac....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jaded,

You can use the Windows sounds on your Mac if you're willing to spend a little effort to convert them and use Res Edit to get them into the appropriate sound resource files.

I'm using some of ncrawler's sounds on my Mac.

There is a slight problem that the Windows WAV files are recorded at higher volumes than the stock sounds in the game. So they can sound a little exagerated. I haven't found a tool to easily reduce the volume of WAV files yet, although the author of SoundApp did reply to my question to say he's planning to implement the feature some day.

Here's the basic how-to of getting the WAV files into your Mac Combat Mission.

1) Get Res Edit from Apple

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10239-100-859800.html?tag=st.dl.10005_103_1.lst.td_859800

and SoundApp Norman Franke

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10216-100-2373098.html?tag=st.dl.10005_103_1.lst.td_2373098

2) Use the "Convert" feature of SoundApp to change the WAV files into Macintosh system sounds.

3) Make a copy of the Combat Mission sound file you want to edit with ResEdit. Keep the copy in a safe place, just in case.

4) Open the Combat Mission sound resource you want to edit with Res Edit.

5) Open the Mac-converted sound you want to insert with ResEdit.

6) Highlight the sound ID of the sound you want to add. Do a "Get Info." Change the resource ID number to the ID of the original sound you want to replace. The do a "Copy."

7) Highlight the original sound and delete it. Then do a "Paste." The new sound should now be in the Combat Mission sound resource.

8) Save the CM sound resource, and try your new sounds.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Toad,

thanks for posting the info. Just got back into town, checking some email and getting settled again.

I plan on looking into the sound manager in about a week or so, will let everyone know how it goes. Going to rest this week, play some, and get caught up from the time away from work.

Until then, use Toad's instructions for the sounds. It works, just takes a little while.

dave

------------------

History is made at night

Chalk up yet another vote for the Mac sound mod manager!!

You might want to add a vote for my wife, brother, and cousin - all of whom never read any boards, but love their Macs and their copies of CM!! (I'd venture a guess that for every post to this board, there's probably 1000 Mac CM users that would love to even know about mods, much less mod managers - and they'll want a Mac version as soon as they do!)