Faust in 1941?

German infantry list a Faust AT weapon on 1941, what is this, some type of thrown grenade? Everything I have read indicates that the Panzerfaust 30 was not developed untill 1942 and I cannot find any grenade in 1941 going by the name of Faust?

I think it's a Nazi Propaganda myth... here's the only reference I could find smile.gif

Faust '41 Charles Gounod

ACT I: Alone in his study, the aged Dr. Faust despairs that his lifelong search for a solution to the riddle of the T34 has been in vain. Twice he raises a Teller mine to his Panzer III but falters when the marching songs of young SS men outside his window re-awaken the unfulfilled passions and desires of his youth. Cursing life and Russian technology, the envious philosopher calls on Satan for help. The Devil appears, and Faust tells him of his longing for youth and pleasure; Méphistophélès replies that these desires can be realized if he will forfeit his soul. Faust hesitates until the Devil conjures up a vision of a lovely Victory flag. A magic potion transforms Faust into a handsome tank commander, and he leaves with Méphistophélès in search of Speer (Duet: "A moi les Panthers"). Soldiers gather for maneouvres. A young officer, Valentin, holding a Tank Destruction medal from his Fuhrer, asks his friend, the young boy Siébel, to protect the medal in his absence and then bids a touching farewell ("Avant de quitter ces lieux"). Wittman, a student, starts the revels with a lively song but is interrupted by Méphistophélès, who delivers an impudent hymn in praise of the T34 and KV1 ("Le chiens ballons"). The Devil refuses a drink from Wagner and amazes the crowd by causing new tanks to flow from an old factory in the Urals. When he makes a brazen toast to the Panther, Valentin mounts his PzIII, but it is frontally penetrated and burns; the other soldiers, recognizing Satan, hold their “Doorknockers” like crosses before Méphistophélès (Chorus: "De l'enfer"), who cowers before them. As the soldiers begin to march, Faust speaks to Speer. He demurely refuses to let him see the plans for the Panther ; Méphistophélès returns to lead the soldiers in the march.

ACT II: Siébel briefly visits the Victory flag to leave a frozen meat medal ("Faites-lui mes aveux"). The romantic youth is followed by Faust and Méphistophélès, who goes in search of a gift to outshine Siébel's; left alone, Faust hails the victory flag location ("Salut! Demeure et flambe"). The Devil returns with a Sturmtiger, which he parks near Siébel's medal. The victory flag waves in the wind and sings a ballad about the pleasures of full defilade ("Il était un roi de Panzers") Discovering the medal and Sturmtiger, the flag exclaims in delight as it admires the Sturmtigers cannon. ("Ah! je ris"). Méphistophélès detours a nosy middle-aged neighbor, Mannheim, by flirting with him, so that Faust may complete his control of the flag. As Méphistophélès invokes a 230mm rocket barrage, the flag cedes control, but ends up returning to neutral. The Devil mocks Faust's failure, and points to the victory flag, which is now grey. Méphistophélès' taunting laughter is heard in the garden.

ACT III: The flag seeks refuge in church, only to be pursued by Méphistophélès, who curses it and torments it with threats of direct HE from the Sturmtiger. In the town square, Valentin and his comrades return from reserve duty, singing the glory of those slain in battle (Soldier's Chorus: "Gloire immortelle"). The soldier questions Siébel about the victory flag but receives only evasive replies; puzzled, he enters his church. Faust, remorseful at having given a withdrawl order from the flag, arrives with Méphistophélès, who serenades the victory location with a lewd ballad ("Vous qui faites l'endormie"). Valentin, stepping forth to defend the flags honor, fights a tank duel with Faust. At a crucial moment, Méphistophélès interferes and Faust inadvertently kills Valentin with a partial frontal penetration. As the Devil tows Fausts tank away, the flag falls to Valentin, who curses it with his last breath.

All references to some poncy opera are purely accidental and a pure co-incidence, honest guv...

Hey, if you want some effective infantry anti-tank support try the little 75mm recoilless gun! To my great surprise I heard it was available as early as 1940. I'm not near the game at the moment, God know how rare (and expensive) the thing is in the listings.

Regardless of what database says,the computer never issues Fausts to my Jerries in 41,but they do sometimes get rifle-grenades whose equipment graphic is similar to the Faust.

(edit-"almost" similar)

[ December 19, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Headshot ]

POSSIBLE SPOILER

I am playing the scenario where the tank heavy Russian force attacks the German units in the big factory and my PBEM opponent said it took him 3 fausts to take out one of my BA-10s, that is what started me thinking. So I check the database and it does say Faust for 41 units, ect ect, maybe you can only have in a premade games but that still doesn't seem right if they were nat invented till 42.

Not sure how this will look:

German Squads Firepower

40m 100m 250m 500m Weapons AT Weapons Ammo Intro

German Infantry

Rifle 41 (10) 124 85 48 24 8K98,1MP40,1MG34 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jun41-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 134 87 48 24 8K98,1PPD,1MG34 RifGren,GrenBund 50 Aug41-Dec41

Rifle 41 (10) 138 87 48 24 8K98,1PPSh,1MG34 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Aug41-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 138 96 54 26 8K98,1MP40,1MG42 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jul42-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 152 98 54 26 8K98,1PPSh,1MG42 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jul42-Apr44

Where are you getting this info from, is it the recently released strategy guide or someone's spreadsheet ? I just looked through the scenario editor and all German infantry/pioneer/anti-tank teams only had rifle grenades, molotov cocktails, grenade bundles or panzerwurfmines in all of 1941. All other AT weapons and 'greyed out' in the editing of units in the scenario editor. I only looked at the data that was presented in the scenario editor. I'm not sure if something would appear differently during an actual game, if it does then I would call this a bug (if you can duplicate it consistently).

Do you see this in QBs or are these scenarios created by others ? If they're created, then there's a chance that dates may have been changed after units were selected - thus some units may have weapons that weren't available for the scenario's specified date.

[ December 19, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

The Faust is listed as available for those squads because the squads are in the game long enough to intersect the date the Faust first becomes available (which, AFAICT, is Jul43). The notes at the bottom say when you actually first get them:

* Panzerfausts are available starting in Jul43 (PF-30K), Sep43 (PF-30), and Oct44 (PF-60 and PF-100) and are all available through the end of the war.

* Finnish panzerfausts are available starting in May44.

* Romanian panzerfausts are available starting in Jan44.

- Chris

Actually, a '41 german infantry squad comes with 20 Fausts (correct plural is Fäuste, btw). Don't think they're listed in the unit window, however, and I doubt they were of much use against armor. Still, they were kept in service until the end of the war and could provide some much-needed punch in close combat situations. BTW, I think the number of Fausts per squad was reduced to 18 when they reorganized squads down to 9 memebers, anyone have any data on this?

apex

Originally posted by PvtTom:

Not sure how this will look:

German Squads Firepower

40m 100m 250m 500m Weapons AT Weapons Ammo Intro

German Infantry

Rifle 41 (10) 124 85 48 24 8K98,1MP40,1MG34 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jun41-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 134 87 48 24 8K98,1PPD,1MG34 RifGren,GrenBund 50 Aug41-Dec41

Rifle 41 (10) 138 87 48 24 8K98,1PPSh,1MG34 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Aug41-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 138 96 54 26 8K98,1MP40,1MG42 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jul42-Apr44

Rifle 41 (10) 152 98 54 26 8K98,1PPSh,1MG42 RifGren,Faust,GrenBund 50 Jul42-Apr44

What this is telling you is that htese squads can have fausts - but it doesn't make htefaust available in 1041!

The squad type exists to 1944, so it will get fausts when fausts become available.

It's a difference between availability (fausts become available in late 43 or wheever) and abilty to use.