Has CM killed ASL and other board games?

Ketil,

The shop was called " Wargamers Hobby Shop " dad was Albert McNally some called him MAC out in Sterling near Dulles Airport. We and a couple other gamers also started a club back in '86 called "NOVAG" (Northern Virginia Adventure Gamers) which is still active today. He sold shop when couple others opened up in the area, one in Chantilly called " The Game Parlor and other called " little Wars in fairfax. I still go to the Game Parlor couple times a month to see whats new.

[ July 28, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: JoMc67 ]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.E.B & ketil,

Yes good Ole Tractics, TSR put it out and was the only game i liked from them. As a matter of fact we just looked at them the other day for good time sake. Dad used them when he first played HO yrs ago then managed to convert them to Micro Armour, which turned out not to be a good idea. We had 2 copies, first i believe just fell apart many yrs ago, second copy i picked up at a convention about 10 yrs ago in mint condition. Then i gave it to dad to look at and over the yrs he managed to slowely destroy that copy too, i should have kept it at my house. Then last year i almost bought a 3rd copy off ebay but the seller wanted $50 dollars so i decided against it. Well Ketil, ready to part with one of your copies, lol. I just would like atleast one copy in good condition to keep in a safe place. I still have many other Micro Armour rules that i have purchased over the years that work better(Jagdpanzer, Combined Arms, Panzer Tactics, Spearhead, GHQ Micro Armour, etc.)

[ July 28, 2004, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: JoMc67 ]

Hehe, well if I can find em the next time I get home Ill let ya know JoMc, theyre in a box....somewhere...

Think I was in yer dads shop a few times, definitely have been in the Little Wars shop in Fairfax, and I think there was a Little Soldier on King St in Alexandria if I recall correctly, run by a chap named Dennis. Knew some of the NOVAG folks, I was very active in the Potomac Wargamers on the other side of the Beltway for a number of years and used to go to alot of the HMGS cons held in the metro area.

Havent seen a decent gaming shop in years, though sometimes I have dreams about them lol. Found one on a trip to Lexington KY that doubled as a TV repair place, and I guess there are one or two in Atlanta but when Im there Im working and never seem to find time to check em out. All I can find locally is a comic shop that carries Games Workshop stuff.....ewww.

Ketil,

I remember " The little soldier shop in Alexandria, we had been there a few times before they closed in think in late '80s. Intresting place indeed If i remember it was located in some sort of town house with a walk in basement. Place had alittle of everything but not eneogh of anything, lol. There were things literally scattered everywhere and it had a small room in back with a game table. I think i bought my first Airfix figs there. Thanx that would be great, keep me posted when u find your Tractics. Email me at irishwop67@aol.com

reading this thread brought back memories of playing axis and allies with my teen son, nephew, my daughter's ex-boyfriend and fiance. best overnighter and never again got that group together. they have grown up with families and i've since moved four hours drive away.

my wife saw my nephew recently. he wanted to know about my cm stuff. he's a dod and fps player. low and behold he sent me this today "memoir 44"

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630

he wants to buy it and come visit us. cool. it is supposed to take 30-60 minutes to play.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

reading this thread brought back memories of playing axis and allies with my teen son, nephew, my daughter's ex-boyfriend and fiance. best overnighter and never again got that group together. they have grown up with families and i've since moved four hours drive away.

my wife saw my nephew recently. he wanted to know about my cm stuff. he's a dod and fps player. low and behold he sent me this today "memoir 44"

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630

he wants to buy it and come visit us. cool. it is supposed to take 30-60 minutes to play.

What scattered tree mod is that using?

Sorry :cool:

For me ASL was long dead before I knew CM existed. I had long since gravitated to historical and sci-fi type miniature games (with homebrew ASL influenced rules) prior to any good PC games being on the market.

ASL could still be put in a PC format, its not impossible.

The only board game I still play with any regularity is Risk.

Originally posted by Probert:

ASL could still be put in a PC format, its not impossible.

See:

VASL

JASL

I'm on the mailing list for JASL, Lars Thuring (the author of it) just yesterday posted a note that he has another "alpha" release due any day and then he'll have the "beta" ready. The beta will feature a new interface and several other new features.

Even if you don't still play (or want to play) it's fun to pop onto the VASL server and then jump into a game being played (if it's open for visitors) and just watch a couple of guys play. You see all the die rolls, moves, etc. This would be a neat feature for CM I would think, to be able to watch a couple of people playing TCP/IP with a chat open between everyone in the room. For VASL, there's a "chat" window and then the game window showing the action, so the visitors don't interrupt the game itself. Pretty neat stuff.

I checked out VASL but it really doesn't hold a patch against CM, and it just ain't ASL enough for me. Strange but true...

Don't get me wrong here, I have every intention of finishing 'A Bridge Too Far' with my buddy but it's just finding the time. At the mo' we're swapping 2 or 3 pbems a day of "The Stalingrad Packs', Sixth Army Probe" (and may I say what a ripper it's turning out to be, thanks Jeff!), but that ole hex map of downtown Arnhem keeps gathering dust, and those rules get dimmer and dimmer...

We started the game back in 2000 and it's been gripping ever since but it's just trying to find the time... Since then my mate has developed two excellent versions for CM of the Arnhem Drop, but ASL has taken a back seat somewhat...

Well, that's it! Time to start re-reading the rules... Hang on, I'll just check my pbems first... :D

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I saw people playing Memoir 44 in France. It looks like a pretty cool game. Tactical level game with Axis & Allies-level complexity, from what I can tell.

I am seeing allot of buzz about this game. I want to check it out also.

BigMik1

my nephew ordered the game online. he plans on coming to visit 14aug weekend. there is a review at wargamer.com memoir_44 (one of the comments, a para air drop is dropping the little guys on the map, lol too cool)

there are fansites and a scenario site. looks like something you can enjoy and bring the young ones into wargaming.

those of you more familiar, is this a blend of boardgaming and miniatures gaming?