Maltilda Tank

After a cartoon character, Matilda the Duck. Someone watching Matilda I waddling and wobbling across rough terrain in its trials saw a similarity, somehow.

More birds: Finns called T-34 as "Sotka", or Scaup in English. That was because one soldier thought that apart from missing a funnel, it had similar silhouette as the tug boat he had worked on, with that name.

And then there was the Guderian's Duck, PzJgr IV. I don't know who came up with that one?

And of course the Stuart was renamed 'Honey' by the Brits. The story goes that the new Stuart was being put through its paces before an assembled group of tankers. One enthused soldier loudly exclaimed "That's a real honey!", which probably some chuckles out of his compatriots. The name Honey stuck.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

And of course the Stuart was renamed 'Honey' by the Brits. The story goes that the new Stuart was being put through its paces before an assembled group of tankers. One enthused soldier loudly exclaimed "That's a real honey!", which probably some chuckles out of his compatriots. The name Honey stuck.

I thought the honey was the Grant.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

(Martlet?!? WTF were they thinking? Not really a name to conjure shock and awe is it?)

I've always wondered about that myself. Neither was it consistent with the usual practice of giving aircraft names that alliterated with the name of the manufacturer.</font>

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

(Martlet?!? WTF were they thinking? Not really a name to conjure shock and awe is it?)

I've always wondered about that myself. Neither was it consistent with the usual practice of giving aircraft names that alliterated with the name of the manufacturer.</font>

Then there is always that icon of sleek design and outstanding maneuverability...the Brewster Buffalo. Of course the name is somewhat apt as it did look and fly like one.

ISTR the Brits tend to name things by class. Everything of the same class has a name starting with the same letter. After a while you run out of cool names that way.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Yeah, I get all that (although I thought it was "Matelot" for Jacktars, not "Martlet").

Yeah. My dictionary gives 'martlet' as an alternative name for the martin, a small European swallow.

Michael </font>

The unfortunate Buffalo was, of course, not such a bad aircraft - within limits - add in hundreds of pounds of extra guns and armour to any standard WW2 fighter and see what happens to it - IIRC Fw-190G's and Me-109G's suffered the same problems when gun pods, armour and rockets were fitted.

The F2A did very well in Finnish service, and I read somewhere that the Aussies used a striped down one to simulate a Zero when testing their domestic a/c.

Ahh the old choice between performance and blowing up when anyone looks crosswise at you. The Buffalo sacrificed the first to avoid the second. Kind of like an anti-Zero.

One of the strangest things about combat is that weapons considered by one country to be a flop (the P-39 for instance) can be the darlings of another.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

One of the strangest things about combat is that weapons considered by one country to be a flop (the P-39 for instance) can be the darlings of another.

The P-39's biggest problem was its lack of a supercharger, which severely limited its operational ceiling. On the Russian Front, the fighting tended to take place at low altitudes anyway, so for them that ceased to be a handicap.

Michael

Hey, if you want a vehicle name that produces shock and awe, my vote goes to "Valentine"! What man has not shuddered at the approach of that accursed holiday! ;)

I've heard three separate theories on why Valentine was named Valentine. Either bacause the blueprints were submitted to he government on Valentine's day, or one of the designers was named valentine, or it was a conglomeration of the company name which was something like 'Vauxhal-on-Tyne' or something like that.

If you think the Brits had naming troubles, it seems Russian nicknames were often related to pretty wildflowers or tiny songbirds! :eek:

A bit of info here: British fighters alliterating with the manufacturers name is a coincidence, or a thing with the manufacturers, I don't think it was an official theme. Some did it (Gloster did it for a while: Grebe, Gamecock, Gauntlet, Gladiator, but then Meteor, Javelin - post war. Fairey did it a lot: Flycatcher, Firefly (twice!), Fox, Fulmar). Others didn't do it after the 1920's, but both the BoB main contenders just happened to have alliterative names (Hawker Hurricane, and Supermarine Spitfire. Look at their others (Hawker: Fury, Osprey, Nimrod, Demon, Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest). Supermarine - well OK, they didn't do any other pre-war fighters, but did Walrus, a flying boat.

Tanks varied a lot. Early ones were not always named (A9, etc). Cruiser, and successors (sort of medium to anyone else) were C mostly when they did name them (Crusader, Cromwell, Comet). Infantry tanks were all over the place (Matilda I, and II - completely different of course, Valentine, Churchill - not a cruiser just to be tricky). US tanks were after Generals (Sherman etc), but where Sherman Firefly came from is anyone's guess

Since then, for some reason, all UK tanks have been C (Centurion, Chieftan, Challenger)

Navy practice with Destroyers was to name in alphabetical classes - started at A late in the nineteenth century, got to L or M by early WW1, more or less finished alphabet by the 1920's, and restarted. H, J, K were just pre WW2, but the Tribal class was a theme rather than a letter (there was a ww1 tribal class - interesting aside, ww1 tribals Nubian and Zulu each suffered significant damage from mines IIRC. They joined the back of Nubian to the front of Zulu, and called the resultant ship Zubian).WW2 got through to late alphabet again, and restarted at A. Got to about D and more or less abandoned letters

Larger ships were always themed - Towns or Counties for Cruisers etc. There are enough capital ships names in the RN history for all significant ships to use historic names (having 100+ ships of the line in c1800 tends to do that for you!)

Modern RN Destroyers and Frigates tend to be mixed. There was an A class in the early 80's, a Duke class now, but then the Weapons class has mostly used B letters, thus catching both (Broadsword, Battleaxe). The later batch are C and Towns/counties (Chatham, Cumberland, Cornwall, and Cambletown). I think these days they try for as many themes as possbile in few ships!

Not sure what this has to do with anything! (Sorry - got carried away!)

Naming things. Now here's a topic with something for everyone: poet; grog; pedant: everyone can have a view.

Those American counsins with a penchant for criticising our British names might first reflect upon the modern practice of naming tanks after generals and helicopters after Indian (Native American?) tribes.

I am looking forward to the M1A1 Arnold (for Benedict Arnold - that truly loyal patriot) and the UH1 Arranamappohoataxical (or similar).

Mind you the Royal Navy seem to have lost their way slightly. A matelot wrote in to the papers to complain about the wussy names given to modern ships...