Maltilda Tank

Campbell class DD's - Scot's chiefs

Battle class DD's - various battles of course!

Tribal class DD's - tribes (Maori, Zulu, ashanti, etc)

Often a class would be named after the first boat, and then the others would have names on a theme - eg the Bangor class frigates were all named after towns, hte "Nwport class of old destroyers (ex-US "flush decks) were also named after towns - American ones, Rotherham class - all names beginning with R, "C" class - names beginning with C, etc.

[ October 31, 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

Yes, the previous systems for naming of classes tended to get lost with all the war emergency ASW vessels. Some of the ships names got quite twee in the flower class - Bluebell, Camellia, Clover, Delphinium, Petunia and my personal favourite HMS Wallflower! These are but a few, there were something like 145 of them! Kind of ofsets the classic larger ship names - Resolution, Renown, Revenge, Anson, Rodney, Nelson, Ark Royal, the I's (CV's Implacable, Inflexible, Indomitable etc), not to mention the Greek mythology set - Dido, Charybdis, Danae,and the classic destroyers Hero, Hotspur, Hereward, Hostile, Hardy, Havock, Hunter and so on (my favourite class, the pre war H class)

BTW if you want a classic destroyer fight read up the first battle of Narvik. And the Second battle is my idea of a good time - 1BB and 9DD in a Fjord!

Originally posted by HeinzBaby:

aah...second battle of Narvik, 1 BB 9DD's, was like shooting rats in barrel..

It turned out that way, but it was actually a bold and courageous move to take a battleship into such confined waters where the DDs, especially a whole gang of them, might be thought to hold the advantage. Don't forget, the DDs were packing plenty of torps that could at least have disabled the BB, leaving it to be finished off by other means later.

But then, boldness has been the hallmark of the RN for over 400 years and has won a lot of battles for them that purely on material grounds they have been expected to lose.

Michael

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Wasn't there an old movie starring Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon (as Ensign Pulver, if memory serves), where it was said U.S. Navy cargo vessels were named after types of bird. The unfortunate boat in the film was named the "Bustard"

That would have been "Mister Roberts" with James Cagney as the mean captain.

Although I cannot state it categorically, I doubt that that was actual Navy practice. I can't recall seeing one named in such a way. But who knows, it was a big war...

Michael

When it comes to naming their martial technology, I've always thought the Japanese had the edge. Some examples:

Battlecruiser named The Invincibility of Buddhism, a battleship named Land of Divine Mulberry Trees. Aircraft carriers tended to be named after mythical dragons or phoenixes (phoenixii?) --- though one, the Ryuho, means both "Dragon and Phoenix"! My favorite, though, has to be the Mizuho, which literaly translates as "juicy rice ears".

The Wind Class destroyers had some fairly poetical appelations: "Wind of an Arrow's Flight", "Wind Dancing in Branches", "Wind over the Restless Sea", "Wind from a Sword Stroke", "Flag-fluttering Breeze", and my fav: "Wind From a Swamp".

A few more DD names that I like: "Mist Veil Through Which Only a Shade of the Moon is Visible", and "Pretty, Small Waves Raised by a Zephyr", "Dawn, But Still the Moon Remains in the Sky", "Light Spring Rain Before the Leaves Bud", "The Shimmering Mist that Rises from the Earth on a Hot Day".

Warrior-poets indeed.